Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    Misconceptions That Fuel Bans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misconceptions That Fuel Bans
 Login/Join

Picture of Extensioncord
posted
I've got two I can think of right off the bat.

Cigars = same as a cigarette, but stinkier

"Assault Rifle" = super powerful military machine gun

In both cases, legislation seems to be introduced by people who have little to no experience with, or appreciation for, the thing they want to ban.

Can anybody think of any more examples?

Posts: 4495 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Magicoa
posted Hide Post
I remember the mayor of NYC wanting to ban salt, which was hilariously ludicrous.

Posts: 1616 | Registered: March 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magicoa:
I remember the mayor of NYC wanting to ban salt, which was hilariously ludicrous.

Not ludicrous at-all.

It was/is all about salting roads in the Winter. It ends up in the (our) water supply. Most Europeon countries have done so long ago and only use sand to treat Winter roads.

I'm all for it.

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3724 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But won't sand end up in their water supply?

___

"If a man speaks on a dessert island, and his wife is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Posts: 1164 | Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: February 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kmd00:
But won't sand end up in their water supply?

Sand in water?

Sand drains back to being part of the soil (from where it came), which is the water filtering system, through which all water flows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SteveSur,

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3724 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
Same sex marriage.

"If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks."
Brendan Behan

Posts: 2594 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Last Roll
posted Hide Post
Based on the liberal lunitic definition,
these are all assault rifles and hand guns:
https://www.google.com/search?...oAQ&biw=1271&bih=869

BTW, don't get scared anti gun folks, these are all pellet guns. Although they will likely shoot your eyes out automatically, these are fairly tame "assault weapons"..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." ~ Ecclesiastes 10:2
Thus sayeth the Lord. Amen

"I have an engineering degree, and a quality assurance degree so I know these things." ~ Hydroldgoat

Posts: 3110 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
Contraception.
Food containing lungs.

"If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks."
Brendan Behan

Posts: 2594 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now the mayor of NYC wants to ban Styrofoam.

-----
Olc é in aice leis. Faigh do chlaíomh. Maraigh é. Tóg an t-ór.

Posts: 521 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont understand the uproar over styrofoam. Personally, i can't remember the last time i used styrofoam. I hate when people use it for packing instead of bubble wrap, and all the cups i see anymore are paper cups. Why do we need styrofoam?

----------------------------------------------------------------
My friends only smoke the finest cigars -- Mine

Posts: 444 | Location: Calgary, AB | Registered: February 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philly_g28: ... Why do we need styrofoam?

One advantage for packing is that it can easily be shaped to mate with any complex shape that it protects.

Styrofoam insulation has its convenience. It is self-supporting, does not shed fibers, is easy to install.

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 10144 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scapino:
An embryo is a human being

All higher animals have embryonic stages.

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 10144 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hydragoat:
quote:
Originally posted by philly_g28: ... Why do we need styrofoam?

One advantage for packing is that it can easily be shaped to mate with any complex shape that it protects.

Styrofoam insulation has its convenience. It is self-supporting, does not shed fibers, is easy to install.

I forgot about packaging like that, but it wouldnt be part of the ban anyways. All he's talking about banning is styrofoam food containers

----------------------------------------------------------------
My friends only smoke the finest cigars -- Mine

Posts: 444 | Location: Calgary, AB | Registered: February 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hydragoat:
quote:
Originally posted by Scapino:
An embryo is a human being

All higher animals have embryonic stages.

Birds?

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” Winston Churchill

Posts: 6464 | Registered: November 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gdavis67
posted Hide Post
contraception is evil = Catholic Church's ban on contraception

quote:
Originally posted by AnRyan:
Contraception.
Food containing lungs.

Posts: 1127 | Location: Motor City | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post