Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    I decided to convert an antique ice chest into my humidor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I decided to convert an antique ice chest into my humidor
 Login/Join

Picture of MTMouse
posted
I bought this antique ice chest about 15 years ago at an auction. I was looking at it one day and thought,'that would make a great humidor'.

When I originally purchased it, it was painted green. I was living in a apartment in Toronto at the time, so I had to strip it on the balcony. At the time I thought the outer shell was pine, turns out it's hard maple.

I happy with the final results.

Here's a thread I started on the build.

Ice chest to humidor conversion

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=50780664269

Posts: 164 | Location: Windsor, Ont | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SAXON9075
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, looks great, It was a good job.

How does it do holding humidity or is it too soon?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. -- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 5485 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MTMouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAXON9075:
Congratulations, looks great, It was a good job.

How does it do holding humidity or is it too soon?

It was holding well while I was seasoning it. It has held at 66% since I put the beads in. I guess winter will be the true test.

Posts: 164 | Location: Windsor, Ont | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jay Hemingway
posted Hide Post
great work mang!

[url]http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/photos.htm[/url]

Posts: 741 | Location: Maturing in the Dunhill Havana Room | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LuckyBreak
posted Hide Post
This is amazing work, congratulations.
One day, I will turn this useless piece of furniture in my room into a beautiful humidor.

Posts: 2813 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! It looks great, how many smokes have you burned while working on it? Maybe the more important question is:
Has it been more relaxing than smoking said cigars?

Posts: 443 | Registered: March 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MTMouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmoore04:
Nice! It looks great, how many smokes have you burned while working on it? Maybe the more important question is:
Has it been more relaxing than smoking said cigars?

It wasn't that bad. It took me less then two weeks , working here and there on it, but I did enjoy a few smokes while I worked.

And yes, I find wood working relaxing. You get a keen sense of accomplishment when you complete a project. Plus it lets me 'escape' from my occupation.

Picture of signalhill323
posted Hide Post
Wow that chest looks awesome! I like the hidden drawer. That was a nice touch!

"Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do." - Bruce Lee

Posts: 2465 | Location: Signal Hill, CA | Registered: April 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about "escape" and "accomplishment." I find the same two things when I do little projects. Funny how cigar smoking and wood working have opposite effects on the object that you are focusing on but bring you the same satisfaction.

Posts: 443 | Registered: March 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LuckyBreak
posted Hide Post
The sense of accomplishment when one finishes something of that sort is a really enough reward. I really want to do something like that. The feeling of relaxing down on a chair with a cigar in your hands after all the hard work, with the product of your hard work lying in front of you. It's priceless.

Posts: 2813 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did a nice job on that. I love the hidden accessory drawer.

Posts: 520 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA | Registered: April 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toasted Coastie
posted Hide Post
MTMouse: Ever since I saw yours, I have been looking for one to do myself. I love what you did, and think it would be enough room for what I have (5 humidors of varying size) it's just a matter of finding the icebox

Posts: 670 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: March 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MTMouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toasted Coastie:
MTMouse: Ever since I saw yours, I have been looking for one to do myself. I love what you did, and think it would be enough room for what I have (5 humidors of varying size) it's just a matter of finding the icebox

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I was lucky when I found it, 15 years ago. They didn't seem to have much value back then. I think I paid $125 to $150 for it at the time. I see them now for $800 to $1000, granted they are in better shape then mine was at the time.

I'm still keeping my eye out for another one as well, but I think I may make one....or more from scratch. I have found a site to get the hardware. After taking this one apart, I know I could build it from scratch.

Picture of Chicago
posted Hide Post
A thing of beauty. Fantastic work.

"Don't like it too much, they're more expensive than drugs."

Posts: 521 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: September 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebeljohn
posted Hide Post
Nice work.........

RIP Tobacconists of Raleigh

Posts: 2499 | Location: North Carolina,CSA | Registered: June 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post