Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    Nicotine in cigars Yes Or No?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nicotine in cigars Yes Or No?
 Login/Join

posted
I have been asked this question by non-cigar smokers many times, Do cigars have nicotine in them? I always thought that cigars don't have nicotine in them. I could swear that I have not only read the answer to this question in Cigar Aficionado but other cigar web sites and it was always NO. Now I'm doing some checking again and I'm finding out that it is a yes. Which is it finally, Yes or No?? Do cigars have nicotine in them?

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
Yes, cigars have nicotine in them.
It's one of the things that make them enjoyable.

"If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks."
Brendan Behan

Posts: 2592 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
Cigars are made of tobacco (Nicotiana sp.) and contain nicotine.

This from Merck Medicus:

10/27/1998: Risks of Cigar Smoking Emphasized Stephen L. Hauser

Update to Chapter 374. Cocaine and Other Commonly Abused Drugs

The National Cancer Institute (NCI) offers a monograph entitled Cigars: Health Effects and Trends (http://rex.nci.nih.gov/nci_monographs/mono9.htm); the monograph can be obtained by calling 1-800-4-CANCER or by accessing the NCI website (http://rex.nci.nih.gov).

Cigar use has increased among adolescents and young adults who may incorrectly view cigars as a low-risk alternative to cigarettes. In fact, daily cigar use carries significant health risks. Cigar and cigarette fumes contain many similar toxic substances, but the amounts of individual toxins may differ. Compared to cigarettes, cigars contain higher levels of ammonia and the cancer-causing substances cadmium and tobacco-specific nitrosamines. Cigar smoking is known to be associated with cancers of the oropharynx and respiratory tract; less well-known is the association of cigars with pancreatic cancer. Recent data indicates that the risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is increased by cigar use. Regular cigar smokers who report that they "inhale slightly" have a 23 percent increase in CAD and a twofold risk in COPD. Finally, it is likely that secondhand smoke from cigars creates a health risk to nonsmokers, although specific studies that address this question have not been performed.

Reference

Cigars: Health effects and trends. National Cancer Institute, 1998 (http://rex.nci.nih.gov/NCI_MONOGRAPHS/MONO9.HTM)

Another reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco

I would also suggest you use the Search feature (FIND) on these forums.

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17837 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
Good God, now that I have seen the research I just may have to stop smoking them Eek

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17837 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Boknows
posted Hide Post
These cigars do not have nicotine, but DON'T SMOKE THEM!

Posts: 4003 | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
the way i understand it, cigars have nicotine, often more then cigarettes, but because you dont inhale and because of the lack of additives in the tobacco to allow for fast absorption of nicotine (like in cigs), you absorb much less nicotine. it mostly gets absorbed through your stomach when you swallow the saliva and usually takes longer for the nicotine to reach your system which is why cigar smoking isnt seen as addicting

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
-Harry S. Truman

Posts: 8531 | Location: Maryland | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno, thaterp. I'm pretty sure that smoking a cigar delivers a substantially larger nicotine punch than does a cigarette- a couple of warrants.

1. Nicotine can and does absorb through the lining of the mouth (so holding smoke in the mouth leads to absorption)

2. There is simply MUCH MORE TOBACCO in a cigar than a cigarette--- estimates range up to 1.5 packs of cigarettes worth of tobacco in 1 medium sized premium cigar.

3. I know that I personally have never experienced 'the sweats' or queasiness as a result of smoking a cigarette (something I rarely do, thankfully)... however, stronger cigars on a less-than-full stomach have certainly punched me in the head a few times.

Doc- a question for you. A study that I read cited the all-cause mortality relative risk for a 1-2 a day cigar smoker as 1.02. Does this mean that a 1-2/day cigar smoker is 1.02 times more likely to die of smoking-related illness than is a nonsmoker? If not, what DOES it mean?

Thanks!

Posts: 770 | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Associate Editor, Cigar Aficionado
Picture of Gregory Mottola
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Docbarry:
Cigars are made of tobacco (Nicotiana sp.) and contain nicotine.

This from Merck Medicus:

10/27/1998: Risks of Cigar Smoking Emphasized Stephen L. Hauser

Update to Chapter 374. Cocaine and Other Commonly Abused Drugs

The National Cancer Institute (NCI) offers a monograph entitled Cigars: Health Effects and Trends (http://rex.nci.nih.gov/nci_monographs/mono9.htm); the monograph can be obtained by calling 1-800-4-CANCER or by accessing the NCI website (http://rex.nci.nih.gov).

Cigar use has increased among adolescents and young adults who may incorrectly view cigars as a low-risk alternative to cigarettes. In fact, daily cigar use carries significant health risks. Cigar and cigarette fumes contain many similar toxic substances, but the amounts of individual toxins may differ. Compared to cigarettes, cigars contain higher levels of ammonia and the cancer-causing substances cadmium and tobacco-specific nitrosamines. Cigar smoking is known to be associated with cancers of the oropharynx and respiratory tract; less well-known is the association of cigars with pancreatic cancer. Recent data indicates that the risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is increased by cigar use. Regular cigar smokers who report that they "inhale slightly" have a 23 percent increase in CAD and a twofold risk in COPD. Finally, it is likely that secondhand smoke from cigars creates a health risk to nonsmokers, although specific studies that address this question have not been performed.

Reference

Cigars: Health effects and trends. National Cancer Institute, 1998 (http://rex.nci.nih.gov/NCI_MONOGRAPHS/MONO9.HTM)

Another reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco

I would also suggest you use the Search feature (FIND) on these forums.

Doc,
ONe must wonder what type of cigar was used to come to these conclusions. The chemical byproducts produced from a cheap cigar is bound to be vastly different from those of a premium on account of the cigarette-like additives found in a cheap cigar's inferior tobacco as well as the amonia content from cheap, non-fermented tobacco. An integral part of the fermentation process of premium cigars is the elimination of amonia. Aging out the amonia is a long, painstaking process that can span anywhere from 3-5 years, but that is one of the reasons why it is called a premium cigar.
As for the Nicotine aspect, I wonder if nicotine, in its purest form, devoid of all the extra added chemicals (and there are a LOT of added chemicals in cigarettes), is any more toxic or addictive than caffeine. I've always been under the impression that Nicotine in and of itself is no more carcinogenic than caffeine, but nicotine combined with all the other synthetic and addictive chemicals is what makes it exponentially more carcinogenic. Also, does the study take into account habit? CIgar smokers tend not to smoke the way cigarette smokers do. Namely, with far less frequency so the cumulative effects are not bound to be the same because they are quantifiably different. These studies tend to be orchestrated under the premise that all tobacco products are pretty much the same and we all know that this simply isn't true. I'd very much like your thoughts on some of this.

Posts: 2198 | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SHEEPSHEAD BAY
posted Hide Post
All i know is when i smoked cigarettes many years ago.
I had to have them i woke up to one went to bed with one.
If i did not have them i was Jones in like a junkie.
Sometimes i smoke a cigar or two a day.
Sometimes i have a cigar or two a month.
It is not the same thing.
It is not an addiction like cigarettes.

"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God"
-Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of freedom must be nurtured from time to time with the blood of its patriots"
-Thomas Jefferson

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty; When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7113 | Location: Reggio di Calabria, Italy / New York United States | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The EVP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Docbarry:
Good God, now that I have seen the research I just may have to stop smoking them Eek

I Call Dibs on Doc's cigar stash!!!!

----------
BOOSA Member #41.

Oh go on, smoke it. You know sometimes I hang out at cigar shops and rifle through the cigar ashtrays. You never know what you will find. Sometimes they even leave the bands . . --Steve Cohen

"Yeah, well they have those at the shop nearby and I have had them-they have been pretty good (not as good as my Ghurkas though)! " -- Sancigar

Being in ny may mean you are close enough for a round of golf and a great cigar. Not sure about sharing the miracle cgr's though. -- SMOKEMNY

"The Savona/Mott Blogs on Cuba are pretty funny to me. I've been travelling to Cuba for the past 15 years, not being a tourist to Cuba, so it's incredulous to me how 2 guys could be so much a tourist. Well, I guess if you've never been before...." -- Bucero

Posts: 3781 | Location: Medford, NY | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proud Bear
posted Hide Post
I like the post there, Doc. Researching these type of studies is exactly what got me INTO cigar smoking in the first place. There is a scare tactic in every study I have read; and although I agree that cigar smoking is not a healthy alternative to cigarettes, I would suggest to anyone reading the studies to really read what they say. They are vague, they provide plenty of "if's".

"Regular cigar smokers who report that they "inhale slightly"..."

This critical statement is associative with all comments before and prior. I have found no conclusive studies that show the true effects of nicotine absorption from cigar smoking. Every single study refuses to differentiate between the former cigarette smoker and cigar smoker. No tour addresses environmental differences (the lounge I go to has a fantastic smoke removal system). Very few address the actual differences between cigarette and cigar tobacco (IE: the chemicals actually added to cigarettes and their effect on nicotine absorption). And, yet, each proposes that cigar smoking and cigarette smoking are very similar and compare the health risks for both as equal.

Bear

------------------------
"Hey. You set the bar. I just take a leap at it." -hydragoat

"Bear, stop pretending like you have a point. ...
Yes,... I'm insulting you. " -sobek

Posts: 2239 | Registered: July 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
Nicotine is toxic. 5-grams will kill a horse.

Nicotine causes vasoconstriction, narrowing of blood vessels. People who have coronary artery disease or peripheral vascular disease should avoid inhaling nicotine.

The additional crapola in tobacco smoke probably is what can cause cancer.

I have been smoking cigars for about 50-years and never got the habit.

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Picture of Toon_Tom
posted Hide Post
I barely smoke once a week. If I smoked every day I might be a little concerned.

"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."

Posts: 822 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of _Lac_Man_
posted Hide Post
I can't speak on the truth of the study noted above, but when I smoked cigarettes years ago, I had bad lung issues, pains in my chest, and it caused an irregular hear beat. I stopped smoking and went to cigars, and about a month or two in, my chest pains stopped, I could keep my breath if jogging/running/even walking, my heart has gained it's strength back. Now this obviously doesn't mean that cigars have saved the day, but as far as an alternative for cigarettes, they seem to be the lesser of a few evils. I enjoy Nicotine, I've smoked cigarettes, dipped "smokeless" tobacco, and smoked cigars, and as far as feeling healthy (Smile), cigars have been my best bet.

Posts: 109 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barndollar
posted Hide Post
Doc you really going to quite? Can I have your cigars?

Posts: 500 | Location: Buckeye, Arizona | Registered: May 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post