Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    Walmart, Target, and big box early Black Friday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart, Target, and big box early Black Friday
 Login/Join

posted
Walmart and Target are starting their Black Friday madness earlier than ever. Give it a rest. Big Box stores like Walmart use a computer program to set employees schedules to begin with, and they have to run their lives around what the computer software dishes out.

So now they want their poorly paid employees to spend part of Thanksgiving at work rather than with their families. Mad

I won't be shopping for ANYTHING on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. If we boycott their greed, they may reconsider this BS next time. Think about it.

Mike T.

Posts: 977 | Location: Central PA, USA | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shlomo
posted Hide Post
Just read that Wal-Mart employees are discussing a possible walk-out on Black Friday.
Funny how when I was looking for a job 10 years ago, Wal-Mart rejected me. They said I was overqualified, but I told them I don't care and would accept 10$ an hour stocking shelves if I had to....still nothing..lol

Proud member of the International Brotherhood of people who contributed nothing but wasted their whole lifetime grumbling and criticizing on things they do not remotely understand.

Posts: 8965 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: February 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares? It's their choice to be open, an employee's choice to work there, and a consumer's choice to go shopping on Thanksgiving.

Do you also think we should boycott the greedy movie theaters that are also open? How about gas stations? Or Walgreens? Starbucks? Hospitals? Tons of restaurants?

Greedy bastards! Roll Eyes

"The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior"

Posts: 1354 | Registered: July 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anthony_joseph
posted Hide Post
My Fiance worked at Walmart, They do offer more an hour for Holiday pay.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Prescott, Arizona | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullhumi
posted Hide Post
Some of the employees at Wal Mart and Target may need that days pay more than they need to spend all day with their families. Close the store and that is a whole lot of people not getting paid because I am sure most are part time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fullhumi,

Posts: 556 | Location: The Ville | Registered: March 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the best way to encourage the big boxes not to open on Thanksgiving is to not go and stand in line and rush in when they open. let them swing the doors open and find no one standing there. the local news babe will be standing there with nothing to say Razz

Posts: 415 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Magicoa
posted Hide Post
So what. I have to work too (just for a few hours). So do nurses, doctors, police, fire, pilots...and on and on. And like someone else pointed out, these employees who are working most likely NEED the money.

But that begs the question, who on here "shops" anyway? I'll be eating leftover turkey on Friday and watching college football.

Posts: 1354 | Registered: March 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost every place I have ever worked (and as a consultant I work in a lot of different industries), Holiday work was volunteer first. So if you had 10 stock boys, the 2 that wanted to work go the Holiday hours unless more manpower was needed.

The huge open air Outlet Mall in Charleston opens at like 11:00PM Thursday. The wife, mother, and sister shop all night. Me and Dad sleep well, then head to the range Friday morning for some Father/Son time.

-----
Olc é in aice leis. Faigh do chlaíomh. Maraigh é. Tóg an t-ór.

Posts: 485 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post