Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    Suddenly coughing up phlegm? Has it happened to you out of nowhere?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suddenly coughing up phlegm? Has it happened to you out of nowhere?
 Login/Join

Picture of DCrist721
posted
I've been a cigarette smoker for years, and never coughed up phlegm. I've been a cigar smoker for a little over a year now, and up until the last month, no plegm either.

Over the past month or so though I have been coughing up brownish-grey phlegm. However, I was under the impression that this kind of phlegm forms from inhaled tars and resins, which confused me since cigar smoke isn't inhaled and I smoke a lot less cigarettes now then I did before I started smoking cigars.

Do any smokers of only cigars have this problem?

Even if you don't know much about phlegm, I'd at least like to hear if cigar smoking causes you to cough up phlegm or not. It would make me feel a lot better if many people do, or it would encourage me to see a doctor if not many people do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DCrist721,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b][COLOR:GREEN]"The Forum Hippie"[/COLOR] [/b] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Favorite Every-Day Cigar: Arturo Fuente Short Story
Favorite NC: Arturo Fuente Between the Lines
Favorite CC: Ramones Allones Specially Selected

Posts: 433 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 769 | Location: Ridgefield C.T. | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
Even though you may not be inhaling the smoke directly, there are particles in the air that will be inhaled, unless you are smoking outside on a breezy day.

The sputum that you are producing may be from inhaled particulate matter or it may be something else.

If it were me, I would see my doctor and get a chest x-ray, especially since you have a cigarette smoking history.

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17757 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
I’ve had it happen whenever I smoke a lot of very strong cigars (my Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Machito’s come to mind) over a short period of time (one, or more, everyday, over a period of weeks).

But when it does happen, what I cough up is a little yellowish, almost clear.

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3716 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DCrist721
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveSur:
I’ve had it happen whenever I smoke a lot of very strong cigars (my Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Machito’s come to mind) over a short period of time (one, or more, everyday, over a period of weeks).

But when it does happen, what I cough up is a little yellowish, almost clear.

That's my problem I guess; I smoke a cigar everyday, sometimes 2. I just wanted to know if it was common to start developing phlegm over time among cigar smokers.

And Reservoir Dog, while that google search has a lot of info about phlegm, it doesn't have "all th info." I wanted to hear peoples first hand sccounts to see if it was common with cigar smokers, as I thought it was only common among cigarette smokers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b][COLOR:GREEN]"The Forum Hippie"[/COLOR] [/b] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Favorite Every-Day Cigar: Arturo Fuente Short Story
Favorite NC: Arturo Fuente Between the Lines
Favorite CC: Ramones Allones Specially Selected

Posts: 433 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of icall
posted Hide Post
I was doing the same for a while. The phlegm was clear, not yellow though. I diagnosed it as post nasal drip.

I then went to an allegist/asthma doctor he ran lots of tests, did a chest Xray, put me on allergy meds that have been shown to cause suicidal thoughts. Good stuff. He was working hard on ruling stuff out.

My wife bought me a nasal flush from CVS. Feels real funny spraying water in one nostril and watching it come out the other, but after a couple of days, all better.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post