Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    Need some help on refilling butane lighters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help on refilling butane lighters
 Login/Join

posted
I have had a few different butane lighters, and they all seem to have a problem refueling. They work fine at first but it seems eventually when trying to refill, the butane can leaks from the base of the stem. Im not sure if it's actually the base or an illusion coming from the lighter, I just know it gets messy when I press down. I've done it with different plastic fittings and with the base metal one.

Normally I use King butane cans, cuz theyre the most commonly available. Is it the brand that tends to leak around the stem? My lighters dont seem to last long as well so it seems like its not taking in all the butane it should.

Posts: 360 | Registered: May 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Presley
posted Hide Post
Try purging the lighter before filling it, use a screwdriver or other sharp object to empty the lighter of gas before refilling.

Posts: 7009 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: July 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
If there is not a good fit on the fill valve it could mean that the valve stem is bent.
When filling a lighter the gas should go into the reservoir and when full should spit out.
1-What lighter are you using>
2- Is the gas can fitting snugly iover the stem of the refill valve?
3- Is it a refillable lighter?

Dupont lighters require that you use their brand of fuel. Other butane cans will not work.
Also, use a premium butane that is at least triple refined or you will have problems with carbon buildup and clogging of the lighter.

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17309 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoBStaR
posted Hide Post
Actually, Other butanes will work on St. Dupont. I have used the xikar for a year but have moved on to the better quality Lotus. Lotus is a triple refined butane and works fine with St. Dupont maxijets.
PS- if you buy the xikar butane, there is a purging pin included under the lid.

" . i put two boxes of cigars on the window sill and voila, the cigars became, well, "plump" within a few days. so far the plump damp cigars smoke "better" than the cool dry ones ""i'll have you know i am the only person in the world alive today who has counted to infinity - twice ! so there, you dolt !"-guru frankd
The Te-Amo cigar listed is a dog rocket, I will be replacing it with another premium. I refuse to send out a smoke that I would not keep in my humi. I apologize for even putting this on the list.-RotorWash

Posts: 2038 | Location: Fresh Meadows, New York | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 xikar lighters, 1 is the $25 xi series i think it is, it has the button on the side. The other I bought, is a xikar incline lighter, same about $26 both torch flames.

I actually bought the 2nd lighter because I thought something was wrong with the first. I do bleed them, and the first just didnt fill, and eventually the wheel only worked at full blast or not at all, no medium flame.

The incline lighter though always hissed and the can would leak full or something also everytime.

I really thought I bought a faulty can, and the stem would wiggle and it seems to spew out from the base, but almost all the cans I buy do this to a point.

To give an example, the xikar xi, a bare stem seems to fit over it and some cans i can apply pressure and it gives a very slight hissing no apparent leaking though.
But some cans make a mess, thats why I figured it was the can.

I might just have to send them off to be fixed anyway, cuz whether or not cans are leaking, the wheel setting doesnt seem to work like when I first bought it.

posted Hide Post
One thing to note thats very peculiar. I sometimes cant get the flame to light(as if its out of fluid). So when I bleed them to refill, sometimes I get a lot of air/liquid spraying out, as if there is something in there.

I will probably buy 1 more lighter to see if maybe ive just dropped them and messed with the fuel pump or whatever it is.

Edit: How can I tell if the can is empty btw? The obvious answer would be if my lighter doesnt turn on, but if theres a problem with the lighter is there another way? I still hear fluid in it but I dunno if its compressed air or what, and they all still blow cold wetness.

Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
A couple helpful suggestions:

1. When refilling, keeping the can parallel to the lighter helps a lot. If the lighter has a flat top, placing it upside down (assuming the fill port is on the bottom) on a table helps with the parallel connection.

2. When a lighter is refilled, the butane enters the lighter as a gas and turns to a liquid as it warms. As this occurs, the lighter will not light. Wait a couple minutes after refilling before using the lighter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SteveSur,

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3698 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Presley, bleed all air out of the lighter before you refill, but with one proviso. I wait until the lighter is empty of fuel. Either that, or I drain any remaining butane by lighting up and blowing out the flame and wait until the hissing dies. Then, I purge as described by Presley.

My two $30 lighters are going strong after 18 months of continuous use.

Empty fuel, purge air, refill.

Cheers
PC

Posts: 920 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: March 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
A good refill. Put the lighter in the freezer for 30 minutes, this will decrease the pressure in the lighter. Warm the can of butane with warm tap water, this will increase the pressure in the can.
Then with can upside-down & lighter upside-down, squeeze the nozzle into the orifice. Pffft.
Good to go!

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 9250 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to give a little update to my situation and for our knowledge. I held the button down and let it run, and the flame went out and let it keep seeping air as mentioned(which ive done many times before). But this time I held it down for a long time, and then reclicked it and a flame came up. Then it went out after awhile and ive kept doing it, and the flame seems to be lasting longer and longer.

This is kind of unusual since everytime i refill it I press the refill valve and drain liquid/air out till it hisses kinda quietly, yet i still got a short lived flame and poor.

The only thing I can think is that maybe I had air pockets or something in it, that required me to drain from pressing the button(maybe the top of chamber?) and bleeding the valve(maybe bottom pocket was butane?).

At any rate, being vigilant and holding the button down till the flame goes out and letting it continue, has seemed to free up air space and get back to burning the butane.

IF TLDR: Holding down the light button seems just as important as bleeding the refill valve, particularly if you have problems keeping a flame lit. Maybe due to pockets of air or the way its pressurized.

All in all, if youre having problems or your lighters out, super bleed it, even when you think you've bled it bleed some more of all air, not just till cold liquid/butane is out.

posted Hide Post
I have several butanes as well - and have a problem filling every single one of them. At first I thought it may have been the refilling canister I was using - and ended up buying a couple more refill canisters - it made no difference.

One thing I did find that helps - I hold the refill canister and lighter together tightly - and shake the same way you would shake a cocktail mixer. Not quite sure what that adds to the equation - but it works for me.

Posts: 88 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Director, Cigar Aficionado Online
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
Some good advice here. You definitely should:

• Use a quality butane, so it doesn't clog your lighter.
• Bleed your lighter before refilling. Letter openers work very well (never use a pen), depress the the fill valve and wait until all the air comes out. Sometimes this takes awhile.
• Turn the lighter to its lowest setting
• Refill. Add butane until you see it's full (if it has a handy dandy see-through resoivoir) or until you get kick back indicating there's no more room
• Turn the lighter to a mid-range setting
• Wait. The butane is very cold, so you need to wait a bit before lighting.

Posts: 3139 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These lighters are the spawn of the devil. They will work fine for a few days and then sputter and stop working at all. They deliberately refuse to be refilled. I have cursed them, pleaded with them, bled them. Nothing works. I now use Bics and matches.

Posts: 3131 | Location: Ain't no ham like Birmingham | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveSur:
A couple helpful suggestions:

1. When refilling, keeping the can parallel to the lighter helps a lot. If the lighter has a flat top, placing it upside down (assuming the fill port is on the bottom) on a table helps with the parallel connection.

2. When a lighter is refilled, the butane enters the lighter as a gas and turns to a liquid as it warms. As this occurs, the lighter will not light. Wait a couple minutes after refilling before using the lighter.

Actually the butane goes into the lighter as a LIQUID and gasifies as it warms.

If you are about 14,000 feet above sea level your lighter may not work because of atmospheric pressure changes although back in 1999 I lit a cigar on top of Pikes Peak in a July snowstorm with a Prometheus MAX lighter.

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17309 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Savona:
Some good advice here. You definitely should:

• Use a quality butane, so it doesn't clog your lighter.
• Bleed your lighter before refilling. Letter openers work very well (never use a pen), depress the the fill valve and wait until all the air comes out. Sometimes this takes awhile...

Aha David, you have been down the same road as I, but you have not explained why we shouldn't use a pen.

The time I made this error, the ballpoint refill was the clear plastic type, and when I went to replace it, all became clear if you will excuse the pun. The force of the purging air had forced the ink upwards, rendering the refill unusable.

Cheers
PC

Posts: 920 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: March 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post