Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    Woman dies after being denied abortion for religious reasons
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman dies after being denied abortion for religious reasons
 Login/Join

Picture of anchovie2
posted Hide Post
Lordy lord you are talking absolute crap, bolidude.

quote:
Originally posted by bolidude:
Actually, I am a surgeon.

Of course you are.

Posts: 7909 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sobek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was she in the hospital, did she go home and not return for a few days? Do you know ALL that happened, All I am saying is, don't be so quick to judge.

quote:
Doctors told her she was losing her 17-week pregnancy, as her cervix had dilated and the amniotic sac had broken, and that the foetus would not survive.

She was in extreme pain. Assuming the article is accurate, they had to know septicemia was likely. Even some guy with a degree from the Caribbean should be able to figure this one out.

Posts: 8065 | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasdoc
posted Hide Post
I'm chairman of Obstetric Anesthesia at my hospital. The outcome for a fetus with premature rupture of membranes at 17 weeks is so dismal, most obstetricians in the states wouldn't dare risk the mother's life to try to save it. Even the ones that dont do "abortions" would not consider this to be an abortion. This woman died because of cultural differences, nothing more.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Northern NJ/East Hampton, NY | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anchovie2
posted Hide Post
religious differences, you mean.

Posts: 7909 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasdoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anchovie2:
religious differences, you mean.

No. I meant what I said. Many people here are catholic too, but there are cultural differences at play. Medicine as practiced in America always puts the mother first. Not so much in many of the catholic nations around the world. This is probably the main reason our infant mortality rates are higher than other many other countries.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Northern NJ/East Hampton, NY | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasdoc
posted Hide Post
And to add to that, if this happened in the USA the doctor would be sued for millions of dollars and he/she would definitely lose. And in this case, he/she would deserve it.

Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
That's a very sad case. Abortion is a murky issue here. It is legal when the life of the mother is at risk but successive governments have failed to get around to legislating for it properly. If anything 'good' can be said to come of this case it's that it might light a fire under the current government to do something about it.
Supposedly, an independent investigation is to be opened on the case. It's possibly a little early to know exactly what happened, but if any medical professional in the hospital said to her or her husband that 'this is a catholic country' while refusing to perform a procedure that would have a better chance at saving her life, well some action needs to be taken.
There were a number of demonstrations/vigils around the country and at the Irish embassy in london this evening in her memory.
There are not many people left in this country who think the hospital staff made the right decisions, if indeed the events turn out to have happened as reported.

"If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks."
Brendan Behan

Posts: 2598 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SubChop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sobek:
quote:
Actually, I am a surgeon.

You are a surgeon and you don't understand the difference between risk/preventive medicine vs diagnosis/treatment.

Seriously?

Don't even try Bolidude; Sobek is all wise and knowing. He's never wrong (I mean he never admits it).

Posts: 2835 | Location: New England | Registered: August 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magicoa:
Women died from these complications hundreds of years ago, maybe as recently as the early 20th century, but certainly not in the 21st century. Not with today's medicine.

Those doctors made a shockingly bad decision.

That's not entirely true. Not to sound 'holier than thou' but, given the numbers, it's very likely that a woman died due to childbirth complications while I'm writing this.
Today's medicine certainly could prevent most of them. It's people not getting it is the problem.

"If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks."
Brendan Behan

Posts: 2598 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xFreebirdx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marker:
I feel bad she and the child died.

This is a worthless and petty post Anchovie. If you want to bump one of your 4000 posts spraying your anti-religious rants go ahead. Using this lady and her unborn child to point out an unfortunate result of religious law is low.

Not that I think you are above that. Just pointing it out.

I couldn't of said it better.

How low can you truly go Anchovie?

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". ~Willy Wonka: 1971
Vet: ★US ARMY 78 - 81★Patriot Guard Rider ID#45266 07/06/06★

Blaming guns for crime is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat...

A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over the Opinions of Sheep .......

Posts: 721 | Location: Landrum, South Carolina. elevation 986' | Registered: November 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sobek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xFreebirdx:
quote:

This is a worthless and petty post Anchovie. If you want to bump one of your 4000 posts spraying your anti-religious rants go ahead. Using this lady and her unborn child to point out an unfortunate result of religious law is low.

Yes, no one should discuss it.

We should just shut down this forum and get rid of all discussion.

In fact, we should just ban all communication.

Posts: 8065 | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Magicoa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnRyan:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magicoa:
Women died from these complications hundreds of years ago, maybe as recently as the early 20th century, but certainly not in the 21st century. Not with today's medicine.

Those doctors made a shockingly bad decision.

That's not entirely true. Not to sound 'holier than thou' but, given the numbers, it's very likely that a woman died due to childbirth complications while I'm writing this.
Today's medicine certainly could prevent most of them. It's people not getting it is the problem.

Of course, maybe I should have phrased it better. I meant that this would have been a highly unlikely outcome if she were treated properly.

Posts: 1638 | Registered: March 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Once again, I am sure they had their hands tied....

I understand that popular expression but what exactly do you mean, medically/legally/ethically speaking that is?

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 10178 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sobek:
quote:
Originally posted by xFreebirdx:
quote:

Yes, no one should discuss it.

We should just shut down this forum and get rid of all discussion.

In fact, we should just ban all communication.

Sobek, really? I gave the reason for my post and a solution to push his anti-religious views if he wanted. Using this lady for his focal point was low. If you don't think so that is fine. I don't expect anything from you.

Look anywhere in my post for me saying he cannot express his views.

Marker.

Posts: 3035 | Registered: June 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hydragoat:
quote:
...Once again, I am sure they had their hands tied....

I understand that popular expression but what exactly do you mean, medically/legally/ethically speaking that is?

From what things appear to be, all of the above. It appears it would be an illegal act to terminate the pregnancy, I don't know if the attending physician would lose his licence or privileges, etc.

I just don't think it is appropriate to judge someone from somewhere else about something that happened we know so little about.

Posts: 513 | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post