Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    New Proposal Will Force Gun Owners to Store Assault Weapons At Government Authorized
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Proposal Will Force Gun Owners to Store Assault Weapons At Government Authorized
 Login/Join

Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SubChop:
quote:
Originally posted by thaterp:
quote:
99% of the time good people shoot bad people.

you are far more likely to shoot a family member than you are an intruder

Is that a fact you can back up, or something you've pulled out of thin air?

let me fix that, you are far more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than you are an intruder
http://www.nationalmemo.com/th...ith-your-gun-is-you/

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
-Harry S. Truman

Posts: 8514 | Location: Maryland | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cbigler:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How many are scared off instead of shot? How many don't come in the first place for fear of that gun?

i dont know how you could possibly quantify that amount.

Precisely

then it has no merit on the discussion. something unquantifiable is irrelevant

Lol...irrelevant does not equal unquantifable

if you cant quantify it, it doesnt belong in the discussion. its speculative at best and a complete non factor at worst and if it cant be proven to have merit in a quantifiable way, then it shouldnt be asserted that it has merit.

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
-Harry S. Truman

Posts: 8514 | Location: Maryland | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How many are scared off instead of shot? How many don't come in the first place for fear of that gun?

i dont know how you could possibly quantify that amount.

Precisely

then it has no merit on the discussion. something unquantifiable is irrelevant

Lol...irrelevant does not equal unquantifable

if you cant quantify it, it doesnt belong in the discussion. its speculative at best and a complete non factor at worst and if it cant be proven to have merit in a quantifiable way, then it shouldnt be asserted that it has merit.

I really hope this is not what you are learning in college...

Please quanitfiy what any new gun measure or idea that you support will do... didn't think so.

What you meant to say was "i hate that point because it kills mine"...

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” Winston Churchill

Posts: 6461 | Registered: November 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sobek
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course it belongs in the conversation.

Much like how the unmeasurable "silent majority" was relevant to the election.

Oh wait, that was BS.

Never mind. Proceed with the debate.

Posts: 8021 | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SubChop
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

let me fix that, you are far more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than you are an intruder

Did you even bother to read the article you cited? Roll Eyes The 2011 study mentioned (whose results you quote) is described as obscure, with "no impact factor" and takes a "very narrow focus".

Posts: 2835 | Location: New England | Registered: August 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please quanitfiy what any new gun measure or idea that you support will do... didn't think so.

what is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

-Harry S. Truman

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Without evidence does not equate to unquantifiable young man... Wow.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” Winston Churchill

Picture of canadianbeaver
posted Hide Post
That article showed interesting data. What was it about 1992 that saw the height of gun violence? And isn't the decline after that a good sign?

As for the downward slide of motor vehicle deaths, wouldn't car technology and increased laws re MADD etc account for some of that?

*note my new avatar shows true homeland security

Coffee, cigars, and single malt scotch.
www.rocketfuelcoffee.com

Posts: 61 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: March 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Did you even bother to read the article you cited? Roll Eyes The 2011 study mentioned (whose results you quote) is described as obscure, with "no impact factor" and takes a "very narrow focus".

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2848468/

-Harry S. Truman

Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by canadianbeaver:
That article showed interesting data. What was it about 1992 that saw the height of gun violence? And isn't the decline after that a good sign?

As for the downward slide of motor vehicle deaths, wouldn't car technology and increased laws re MADD etc account for some of that?

the increase was drug related and had to do with the crack epidemic in the late 80s and early 90s.

as for car deaths, a crack down on drunken driving has to do with that, but there was an increase in deaths from non-alcohol related causes (im thinking driving distracted relating from cell phone use) that cancelled out the drop in drunk driving deaths.

-Harry S. Truman

Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Without evidence does not equate to unquantifiable young man... Wow.

then support your claim, bring some evidence to the table.

-Harry S. Truman

Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by canadianbeaver:

the increase was drug related and had to do with the crack epidemic in the late 80s and early 90s.

as for car deaths, a crack down on drunken driving has to do with that, but there was an increase in deaths from non-alcohol related causes (im thinking driving distracted relating from cell phone use) that cancelled out the drop in drunk driving deaths.

The aging of the population has been an important factor in the reduction in vehicle deaths and criminal behavior.

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 10013 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

tWithout evidence does not equate to unquantifiable young man... Wow.

You didn't deny the claim just the quantification... You need articles about robbers being shot at ?????????

Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You didn't deny the claim just the quantification... You need articles about robbers being shot at ?????????

i asserted the claim didnt have merit without quantification

no, but not being able to show that the merits of having a gun in your house outweigh the risks of having a gun in your house mean that the claim carries no weight.

-Harry S. Truman

Picture of Hangfire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

i asserted the claim didnt have merit without quantification

no, but not being able to show that the merits of having a gun in your house outweigh the risks of having a gun in your house mean that the claim carries no weight.

Just as you cannot quantify the number of times the mere presence of a firearm has prevented death/injury/crime in the home or to the person you cannot quantify how many lives will be saved through the assault weapons ban proposal. You cannot quantify the value of the absence of something.

By your argument, both would be moot.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post