Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    Nicotine for blood test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nicotine for blood test
 Login/Join

posted
So I have another life insurance test coming up and need to know how long nicotine will stay in my system for blood testing purposes. I have always tested negative in the past but as of late I have been smoking 10 or more per week. Anyone have a clue how long I need to abstain in order to clear my system?

Posts: 384 | Location: NY | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of orangedog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMOKEMNY:
So I have another life insurance test coming up and need to know how long nicotine will stay in my system for blood testing purposes. I have always tested negative in the past but as of late I have been smoking 10 or more per week. Anyone have a clue how long I need to abstain in order to clear my system?

At least 4 weeks, probably better to go a month or two without any cigars/cigarettes/pipe etc if you want to show up as a non-smoker.

I'm not in the industry, but from what I've been told, it isn't nicotine the current tests are designed to pick up (nicotine leaves the system in a lot shorter period than what I mentioned) - there is a residual chemical that is present once the body processes the nicotine that can linger for upwards of 20 days.

Probably the same advice you've heard before, but I'd recommend looking into insurers that allow for the occasional cigar without charging "smoker" rates. I think two that do this are AXA and Prudential, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 899 | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It won't matter much after you die and your blood contains the nicotine level of ten cigars. Nice plan, though. It's one thing to cheat your way through a life insurance policy, but an altogether impossible feat to collect it.

Posts: 200 | Registered: March 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there are still a few insurance companies who will make a distinction between a full time cigarette smoker and someone who has an occasional (once a week?) cigar smoker.

Check on the web doing some searches, or perhaps someone else here will know. I do remember years ago finding two that would rate me occasional cigar smoker and the rate was only about 8% higher than non-smoker. But now, who knows? Worth checking out, though.

As for clearing nicotine out of the system, I thought I've read on here in the past a recommendation of 7 to 8 days. DocBarry will know.

Posts: 3115 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: August 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
Actually nicotine is tested as CONTINE in the URINE.

Depending on body habitus (Amount of fat to lean) the amount that you smoke, if you inhale and if you sit in an unventilated room, smoke with other smokers or go outside for a walk while smoking will all figure in how long it takes for nicotine to leave your system.

Generally a week if you are not a pack a day smoker. Longer if you smoke a lot maybe a little less if you smoke 1 or less cigars a day.

Remember, if they find out that you lied on your life insurance application they can deny the payout.

Look for insurance companies that will not rate you for occasional cigar smoking.

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17349 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe if they really wanted to get you they can do a hair follicle analysis which I've read can detect it months and even a year or so later.

Posts: 909 | Location: Boynton Beach | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys just so we are clear I have a p,an that allows for celebratory cigar smoking. I have regularly smoked a handful of cigars per week and always tested negative for nicotine. I don't smoke cigarettes and do not inhale cigars. I am concerned that my recent increase of the last few weeks might cause me to test positive if I dint purge for a week or two. In the past I abstained 2 or 3 days at most before a test. Thanks for all the input

Posts: 384 | Location: NY | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Baneblade
posted Hide Post
As an agent, I would advise against lying. Do you really want to put in jeopardy the death benefit in order to save money today? The lower the company's rating, the more likely they will deny your family's claim. Also depending on the face amount, or what is found in the tests they will require your medical records.

Innocentia Nihil Probat

Posts: 2383 | Location: Alexandria VA | Registered: September 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hypothetical question.

What if someone never smoked anything and they applied for and got life insurance, with rates based as non-smoker. And then, a few years later, this person discovered cigars and now smokes 2 to 4 cigars a week.

I mean, wouldn't the policy be based on "honestly as to what is the truth on the date the application is signed?" And if they picked up the cigar smoking later on ...????

Just curious.

Posts: 3115 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: August 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
Insurance companies would NEVER think of cutting or delaying benefits because the customer lied, forgot or neglected to be forthright.

They would NEVER give a bonus to one their employees who found legal reasons to deny an expensive claim to a policy holder.

They would NEVER pay out a third party claim and then sue the policy holder because the policy holder neglected, lied, forgot something.

Of course they wouldn't do that. Big Grin

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 9303 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orion
posted Hide Post
I am a financial advisor that sells a lot of life insurance and I will tell you this -- very very few companies will make a distinction between a cigar smoker and a cigarette smoker.

The "celebratory" cigar really means you smoke one or two cigars a year. Some companies will tell you they will allow a cigar smoker up to X number of cigars per year. However, if they find nicotine in the blood or urine you are going to be considered a smoker with 99% of companies because that means to them you smoke on a regular basis. A true non-smoker will not have nicotine in the blood or urine. My advice is to disclose you smoke cigars so that you are not caught withholding the information. If you are caught withholding that information you have no options. If you disclose and truly have a company that allows cigar smoking and will give you a non-smoker rate ALWAYS disclose. You won't get the best rate, but a non-smoker rate vs a smoker rate means on average about 30% lower premiums and if it is a cash value form of insurance MUCH better performance. EMS me with the name of the company you are using and any questions, I own a lot of insurance personally and do this everyday. Cheers!

P.S. There is a 2 year contestability period on all life insurance.

"By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls."

-John Galsworthy

Posts: 1733 | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Baneblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Sanders:
A hypothetical question.

What if someone never smoked anything and they applied for and got life insurance, with rates based as non-smoker. And then, a few years later, this person discovered cigars and now smokes 2 to 4 cigars a week.

I mean, wouldn't the policy be based on "honestly as to what is the truth on the date the application is signed?" And if they picked up the cigar smoking later on ...????

Just curious.

It would not affect the policy. At the time of underwriting, Mr. X was a non-smoker, and was rated as such. In fact here is the policy at my company regarding insuring kids. The get the children rate, and there is a rider that allows the kid in the future to buy additional insurance without underwriting and get a preferred rate. The kid could be 350 pounds and smokes 2 packs a day, but he would get the that preferred rate.

Again back to the question on hand fraud is fraud. By not disclosing the use of nicotine you would be committing fraud. The company is not being the bad guy. After all premiums are the product of calculating various risks a person may have, and nicotine is a major risk. At my company if a person fails to disclose nicotine use at application, but is found elsewhere, which can include medical records, then a smokers rate is the best they can get. We have a "Select Standard" rate, which is a healthy smoker. If a person lied at the application, then he cannot get that rate even if he would have qualified for it due to withholding the data.

Innocentia Nihil Probat

Posts: 2383 | Location: Alexandria VA | Registered: September 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have cigar smoker rates with my metkife policies but northwestern does not make a distinction. I am adding penn mutual policy that allows for 12 per year. My understanding is 2 years is contestable and after that the policy if funded is in force even if you started smoking. I have never tested psotive fir nicotine and find it absurd that I should be classified as a smoker. I carry many millions in insurance and would not want to pay the 10's of thousands extra for a scamming insurance companies lack of ability to use common sense. Good insight everyone

posted Hide Post
Nicotine affects the smoker's blood. The human body is in danger with that. Will nicotine addiction in humans eventually be treatable? Scientists at Weill Cornell Medical University in New York have a nicotine vaccine that works in mice to prevent it . People may not be far behind. Same as:why not take a peek at all of our website?

Posts: 1 | Location: California | Registered: July 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So just curious, if I had never smoked in my life and then decided hey... I'm going to smoke a cigar on my 50th birthday. That night I have a heart attack and die... Would my wide and kids not get the life insurance because there was nicotine in my blood?

Posts: 678 | Location: Flower Mound, TX | Registered: May 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post