Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cigar Talk    My basement is 65F, 75% RH right now
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My basement is 65F, 75% RH right now
 Login/Join

Picture of SteveSur
posted
My basement is 65F, 75% RH right now with the central AC ducts closed. Now, when I open my coolerdor which has 65% RH beads I watch the RH rise. Kinda strange after the dry winter when the exact opposite would happen.

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3714 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShortFatHokie
posted Hide Post
I've been experiencing the same thing with my humi in the basement for the last two weeks...open it up at 65% watch it rise to about 69% as I choose my smoke...much better than watching it fall into the 50%s as I choose my smoke...

Posts: 836 | Location: Nature's Air Conditioned City | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lawstudent10
posted Hide Post
The humidity in my basement has been holding at about 65%. However, the temperature has been reaching the low 70s. Today is the high for the year at 74 degrees. I'm getting a little worried about maintaining the proper temperature as summer progresses. I've heard beetles don't start hatching until the high 70s/low 80s. Is there truth in that statement or should I be concerned now?

Thanks

Posts: 545 | Location: Blackacre | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawstudent10:
I've heard beetles don't start hatching until the high 70s/low 80s. Is there truth in that statement or should I be concerned now?

Thanks

Beatles don't hatch until the temp is around 80 degrees F for a long period of time. Think about all the smokes transported by UPS that get to 80 degrees-plus for a few days and nothing happens.

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3714 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When i open my Vinotemp to select a cigar my humidity drops to 62-63 year round...it is in my office which is in my basement...i have a 1/2 lb %65 heartfelt beads....sometimes i have to take the beads out for a day or two cuz my humidity will start to creep to 68-69..once it drops to 61 then i'll put the beads back in...i just checked it 66/66...

Posts: 2167 | Location: THE BUCKEYE STATE | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of V.O.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beatles don't hatch until the temp is around 80 degrees F for a long period of time.
I won't bet my life (or cigars) on that. Better safe than sorry.

quote:
My basement is 65F, 75% RH right now with the central AC ducts closed. Now, when I open my coolerdor which has 65% RH beads I watch the RH rise.
So let me see if I get this right. Your coolerdor maintains good 65%, but the place where you keep it has 75% - if so, why are you surprised watching RH rise when you open it? That's exactly what should happen as higher ambient humidity rushes in, as you open your dor's door. No?

-------
"And it is not just a business. It’s a love affair."
Paul B.K. Garmirian about making cigars

Posts: 2482 | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveSur:
quote:
Originally posted by lawstudent10:
I've heard beetles don't start hatching until the high 70s/low 80s. Is there truth in that statement or should I be concerned now?

Thanks

Beatles don't hatch until the temp is around 80 degrees F for a long period of time. Think about all the smokes transported by UPS that get to 80 degrees-plus for a few days and nothing happens.

Never had a problem while in Iraq. No telling how long my cigars sat in a container on some fight line. My guess, about 140 to 150 for a day to day and half, or maybe hotter and longer...

Trust me, you can believe everything I say, because,,, I'm a CELEBRITY!!

Posts: 1704 | Location: Back home, but still fishin' , or shootin' skeet, and I really like trap. | Registered: March 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of V.O.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never had a problem while in Iraq. No telling how long my cigars sat in a container on some fight line. My guess, about 140 to 150 for a day to day and half, or maybe hotter and longer...
Of course you didn't have any problem. At that temperature they probably prefer to stay in their eggs rather than hatch and choke with heat Big Grin

-------
"And it is not just a business. It’s a love affair."
Paul B.K. Garmirian about making cigars

Posts: 2482 | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post