New
Find
Notify
Tools

Party lusi
 Login/Join

Picture of pyramidsam
posted
I've been thinking of stocking up on a box of 50, but read somewhere the strength has been tone down to suite modern smokers. Is this true? I love the strength of a good lusi from before the millenium. How are the recent batch smoking?

To smoke or not to smoke, that's the question.

Posts: 1307 | Registered: June 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
I don't find them strong. All the Bolivars I've had are stronger. I was expecting more out of them. Even compared to Shorts, 898s, and Mille Fleurs they aren't strong.

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3477 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB-07:
I don't find them strong. All the Bolivars I've had are stronger. I was expecting more out of them. Even compared to Shorts, 898s, and Mille Fleurs they aren't strong.

+1, not strong at all. They're grandpas cigars for me.

Posts: 195 | Location: Doha, Qatar / London, UK | Registered: October 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marker
posted Hide Post
RA Gigantes if you want a strong churchill/DC. The Luisi is medium to me.

Marker.

Posts: 3035 | Registered: June 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pyramidsam
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Maybe I should trade some before committing to a cab of 50. But man its a sight to behold. I still have a couple of RAG left. It seems its true then that the lusis has lost its charm as one of the strongest.

Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
I went through a cab from 2008. Very good. Solid medium body smoke (at best). Not powerful by any means.

Posts: 2734 | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post 95 Lusis not very strong. Those from mid 08 are the best post 95s I've smoked. The Churchill sized Bolivar Corona Gigante is much strong than most DCs. 01 & 09 SLR DCs pack a nice kick.

Bass guitar since 1975

Posts: 2773 | Location: Tobacco Road | Registered: September 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pyramidsam
posted Hide Post
I had a few boxes from late 90's. They were all gone now. I remember them to pack quite a punch especially in the second half, right up there with monte2, bbc, RASS, bgm and such. That's too bad. I had bcg from time to time, but never had a box yet. I am just thinking of stocking up on a box of 50. Its an awesome box to have in your collection. Thanks though. Now I just have to find a few to try before committing.

quote:
Originally posted by Bass Man:
Post 95 Lusis not very strong. Those from mid 08 are the best post 95s I've smoked. The Churchill sized Bolivar Corona Gigante is much strong than most DCs. 01 & 09 SLR DCs pack a nice kick.

Picture of A Work Of Art
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Just got MAR 12 box.

Posts: 4064 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A Work Of Art:
Fantastic. Just got MAR 12 box.

Would be interested in knowing how strong they are. 08s are running low. 09 & 10 didn't impress.

Bass guitar since 1975

Posts: 2773 | Location: Tobacco Road | Registered: September 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a box of 10 from Jan 11. As this would be my only experience with the stick, feel free to take this with a grain of salt. I would say that it was definitely on the milder side, had a very tight draw, and was not terribly expressive.

The last one from the box was downright disgusting. I kept hoping it would get better, but I eventually abandoned it as it tasted like it had been assembled from partially smoked cigarettes. I ended up smoking a Monty2 to get rid of the taste.

Posts: 15 | Registered: September 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Peacemaker
posted Hide Post
All DC's have been "watered down" for about the last 10-12 years or so. None are as strong as they used to be...with two exceptions: The SLR DC (which was never strong to begin with) and the Punch DC...IMO the strongest DC and the strongest Punch cigar still in production.

Better beautiful than perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7QP4uNkSM

Posts: 2064 | Location: AZ | Registered: September 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pyramidsam
posted Hide Post
Now that you mentioned the punch DC, I am sad. This is the shipment that I lost a few months back. It has some age on it too. Sucks big time.

quote:
Originally posted by The Peacemaker:
All DC's have been "watered down" for about the last 10-12 years or so. None are as strong as they used to be...with two exceptions: The SLR DC (which was never strong to begin with) and the Punch DC...IMO the strongest DC and the strongest Punch cigar still in production.

Picture of MnMWC
posted Hide Post
The 2011 Cab I am 6 sticks into has been great.

First two sticks had a sick spot after the 2nd 3rd that last 5-8 puffs. Then turned around for a fabulous finish.

This is my first Cab so I do not have a point of reference.

Strength is definitely medium.

Posts: 222 | Registered: July 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MnMWC
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan Smile

Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
Sorry my friend, I deleted it. Not directed at you. Strada's post which was originally above mine got deleted.

quote:
Originally posted by MnMWC:
Thanks Dan Smile

Picture of MnMWC
posted Hide Post
I had to laugh as I saw who you had intended the response towards.... just never opened it. Pretty funny.
Back to the Lutsi's... did you age your 08 box? Or buy it aged? I am already realizing that the cab I have will not make it to "aged" status. Thinking of another to lock up

Picture of A Work Of Art
posted Hide Post
The 2007 RA Gigantes are just incredible.

quote:
Originally posted by Marker:
RA Gigantes if you want a strong churchill/DC. The Luisi is medium to me.

Posts: 4064 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
I bought it aged. I figure it doesn't make sense financially to age my own cigars. Aged cigars are readily available, usually at a slight premium to current production. If aged cigars float your boat, then pay the premium.
I figure if you earn 10% on your money for 5 years, you'll double your money, so a box that you age for 5 years actually cost double what you paid.

quote:
Originally posted by MnMWC:
I had to laugh as I saw who you had intended the response towards.... just never opened it. Pretty funny.
Back to the Lutsi's... did you age your 08 box? Or buy it aged? I am already realizing that the cab I have will not make it to "aged" status. Thinking of another to lock up