Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Glueing Bands
 Login/Join
 
Member
Picture of RLBARN
posted
This is more directed at the CC smokers in the contiguous 50, but am I the only idiot here glueing bands back on CCs, or is this fairly common? I have about 300 in need of bands to be glued. Very tedious, but good, mindless work while smoking and listening to music. I just chalk it up to part of the hobby, dumb, I know! To glue or not to glue, that is the question.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RLBARN,
 
Posts: 152 | Registered: March 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of stogieluvr
posted Hide Post
I seem to have your problem, but sort of in reverse. I have kept probably 99% of the bands, unbroken, off of every cigar I've ever smoked. I have hundreds of these things stored away in cigar boxes in pristine condition. I don't know what I'll ever do with them, but its just something I started on a whim and now, I can't stop.

I think I need help.
 
Posts: 177 | Location: northern Carribbean coast aka Lower Alabama | Registered: April 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stogieluvr:
I seem to have your problem, but sort of in reverse. I have kept probably 99% of the bands, unbroken, off of every cigar I've ever smoked. I have hundreds of these things stored away in cigar boxes in pristine condition. I don't know what I'll ever do with them, but its just something I started on a whim and now, I can't stop.

I think I need help.


Wow!!! I do the exact same thing! Great minds or something like that. I'm just wondering if the gold in the BHK and other cohiba bands are worth something?
 
Posts: 688 | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of stogieluvr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alloy:
quote:
Originally posted by stogieluvr:
I seem to have your problem, but sort of in reverse. I have kept probably 99% of the bands, unbroken, off of every cigar I've ever smoked. I have hundreds of these things stored away in cigar boxes in pristine condition. I don't know what I'll ever do with them, but its just something I started on a whim and now, I can't stop.

I think I need help.


Wow!!! I do the exact same thing! Great minds or something like that. I'm just wondering if the gold in the BHK and other cohiba bands are worth something?


Unfortunately, until my recent trip to Cuba and acquisition of three boxes of CC's, all of my bands are nonCC's. So sad to think about it.
 
Posts: 177 | Location: northern Carribbean coast aka Lower Alabama | Registered: April 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RLBARN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stogieluvr:
I seem to have your problem, but sort of in reverse. I have kept probably 99% of the bands, unbroken, off of every cigar I've ever smoked. I have hundreds of these things stored away in cigar boxes in pristine condition. I don't know what I'll ever do with them, but its just something I started on a whim and now, I can't stop.

I think I need help.


I think sharing like this is good therapy. Not only do I carefully glue the bands on, but after I smoke the cigar, I carefully pull them off and store them in a huge jar. OCD? Confused

Good responses. Thanks.
 
Posts: 152 | Registered: March 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Juan Alvarez
posted Hide Post
I'm a gray market guy (and not ashamed) so I've never had to worry about bands being removed, but I do have a buttload of bands with no where to put them. My favorite band is the BHK band but the stick is expensive. I also like the HDM, partagas and Bolivar bands. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with these bands either. Right now they just sit in my plywood desk at the flight line.


______________________________
So many cigars, so little money!!
 
Posts: 169 | Location: Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
Someone once suggested to layer the bands
into crystal ash trays. Or coffee tables.
 
Posts: 2107 | Location: USA | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maven:
Someone once suggested to layer the bands
into crystal ash trays. Or coffee tables.


Good suggestion. But to do that, I'll need therapy, and lots of it, to be able to bring myself to actually break the bands apart.

Could you maybe make a suggestion for us fellow ocd's of something to do with the bands in their pristine, whole condition?? Big Grin
 
Posts: 44 | Location: Mobile, AL, USA | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RLBARN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juan Alvarez:
I'm a gray market guy (and not ashamed) so I've never had to worry about bands being removed,


True, but then again, you probably don't worry about the cu$toms man or seizures at your particular location. Or maybe you do. Thanks for all you do, by the way.

RLBARN
 
Posts: 152 | Registered: March 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My wife took a whole bunch of used bands and framed them in a picture frame surrounding a photo of me smoking a cigar. Great wife!!!
 
Posts: 670 | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spammy33:
My wife took a whole bunch of used bands and framed them in a picture frame surrounding a photo of me smoking a cigar. Great wife!!!


Awesome Idea! I Like It!
 
Posts: 688 | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spammy33:
My wife took a whole bunch of used bands and framed them in a picture frame surrounding a photo of me smoking a cigar. Great wife!!!


I have a very similar idea. Bought a picture in Havana. Cheap but nice, it looks like collage of different photos, pictures, newspaper articles. Came with no frame, so I ordered stretching. And now I have a plan to glue as many bands to the sides as I can. Multylayer combination should work fine.


" I must point out that my rule of life prescribes as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the interval between them": Sir Winston Churchill
 
Posts: 468 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: January 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I tried putting bands back on a whole back using pectin gum. Didn't work very well. I was worried using real glue with a smell might be absorbed by the cigars.
 
Posts: 309 | Registered: August 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RLBARN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andyhahn:
I tried putting bands back on a whole back using pectin gum. Didn't work very well. I was worried using real glue with a smell might be absorbed by the cigars.


Yeah, I'm using pectin, and seem to have good success with it. So did you just give up on putting bands back on?
 
Posts: 152 | Registered: March 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I glued about 3 and gave up after that. They didn't stay glued very long either once back in the humidor. I had a handful I had brought back from overseas I kept track of what they were. Nowadays when ordering the vendor I use keeps them on. Good luck, hope it goes better for you than me!
 
Posts: 309 | Registered: August 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Juan Alvarez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RLBARN:
quote:
Originally posted by Juan Alvarez:
I'm a gray market guy (and not ashamed) so I've never had to worry about bands being removed,


True, but then again, you probably don't worry about the cu$toms man or seizures at your particular location. Or maybe you do. Thanks for all you do, by the way.

RLBARN


That is true too. Cu$toms guys give me very little trouble and my packages have made it here safely. Maybe I'll have to change my ways when I go home.


______________________________
So many cigars, so little money!!
 
Posts: 169 | Location: Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Scapino
posted Hide Post
Doh! What am I missing here? What's all this talk about "gluing" cigar bands onto cigars?

If you mean that you're buying CCs from which the bands haver been removed, what's the benefit of going to the trouble of gluing them back on? Will they taste better?

What am I missing here???
 
Posts: 1960 | Registered: August 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of famoso2166
posted Hide Post
Most vendors do not remove bands for fear of possibly damaging cigar wrappers, and I would imagine most folks would not want to purchase Cubans with bands off. Don't know where the OP is getting his smokes, but it sounds like a lotta unnecessary work to me.


Supercharged is currently under moderator censorship for no good reason.
 
Posts: 876 | Location: cold,crappy Canada | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of renzo
posted Hide Post
I'm usually reading a library book on the back porch when smoking so I peel off the band and tuck it into the book. I'm sure someone with similar reading tastes as mine is wondering where all those Cuban cigar bands in the library books are coming from.
 
Posts: 16 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Only reason I tried gluing back on was because I had taken a trip overseas and since I was carrying singles I decided to take the bands off. I wouldn't order from a vendor who removes bands. Gluing them back on was just to know what was sitting in my humidor of the 15 or so smokes I had carried back, other than that...no reason to do so.
 
Posts: 309 | Registered: August 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© Cigar Aficionado Online 2014