New
Find
Notify
Tools

additives
 Login/Join

Picture of boolee
posted
Do Cuban cigars have any additives like cigarettes?

Give life a try...

Posts: 782 | Location: Hollywood, SC | Registered: September 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joeysmoke
posted Hide Post
I'm sure INSIDE_INFO knows... Hey where'd be go?!

Posts: 574 | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boolee:

do Cuban cigarettes have any additives?

" I must point out that my rule of life prescribes as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the interval between them": Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 468 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: January 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Last Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, counterfeit Cuban cigars can have a host of additives. That's why I only buy Cuban cigars in Miami where there is order and honesty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." ~W.C. Fields

Posts: 2935 | Location: Anaheim Hills, CA | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of QM
posted Hide Post
The Cubans have been adding DMHO to tobacco for decades.

QM
Quality does not occur by chance. It is the result of intelligent activities.

Posts: 8933 | Location: Cigar land | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
Dimagnesium Hydroxide? Is that some kind of plant antacid?

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3474 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RLBARN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QM:
The Cubans have been adding DMHO to tobacco for decades.

Good one. I drink it every day. The only ill effects I have experienced from it is excessive urination. Big Grin

Posts: 152 | Registered: March 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of famoso2166
posted Hide Post
Guess we would all be dead now instead of posting here on this thread, huh? LOL

Supercharged is currently under moderator censorship for no good reason.

Posts: 876 | Location: cold,crappy Canada | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know. I've been running DMHO in my car for years and even at times in the airplane for better fuel mileage but I had no idea it worked for cigars too.

Posts: 94 | Location: So. Sound Wa. | Registered: February 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the C.A. dictionary of terms:

Bethune:

A mixture of herbs, wine, rum or a combination of such materials used to treat certain types of tobacco. It’s a process some cigarmakers do, but few discuss. Royal Jamaica was famous for using a bethune on its tobacco.

Do the Cubans use it? Anybody's guess. . .

Posts: 124 | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cigar Guru
posted Hide Post
Genuine CCs don't contain additives in them.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by U-Boat Commander:
From the C.A. dictionary of terms:

Bethune:

A mixture of herbs, wine, rum or a combination of such materials used to treat certain types of tobacco. It’s a process some cigarmakers do, but few discuss. Royal Jamaica was famous for using a bethune on its tobacco.

Do the Cubans use it? Anybody's guess. . .

Asking that question in Cuba, and I have, is like asking about Shrodinger's cat.

"If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks."
Brendan Behan

Posts: 2584 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Guano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by

Asking that question in Cuba, and I have, is like asking about Shrodinger's cat.

Heisenberg is out for a drive when he's stopped by a traffic cop. The cop says 'Do you know how fast you were going?' Heisenberg says 'No, but I know where I am.'

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.”
- Unknown

Posts: 600 | Location: Frostbite Falls | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Guano:

Heisenberg is out for a drive when he's stopped by a traffic cop. The cop says 'Do you know how fast you were going?' Heisenberg says 'No, but I know where I am.'

Good one, I'll be using that.
Two atoms out for a walk, one says to the other, "I think I've lost an electron!".

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm positive."

Brendan Behan

Posts: 2584 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Director, Cigar Aficionado Online
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
Big, big difference between a bethune and additives. A bethune, which some cigarmakers use, is a mix of natural ingredients mixed in some form of alcohol that might be added to tobacco during fermentation. Cigarettes are made with a melange of chemicals and other ingredients. No comparison.

To answer the first question, premium cigars do not contain additives like cigarettes. Cuban or non Cuban.

Posts: 3151 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
I know somebody here involved in importing tobacco. He has to provide to the government, for revenue and other reasons, a full list of the constituents of everything he imports.
The list for cigarettes, he says, is over three pages long. For Cuban cigars there are two items, tobacco and vegetable gum, I can't remember if water needs to be listed as a constituent.
No mention of bethune, betun or anything of that sort.

Brendan Behan

Picture of boolee
posted Hide Post
You guys are awesome.... Razz

Give life a try...

Posts: 782 | Location: Hollywood, SC | Registered: September 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Last Roll
posted Hide Post
Q: Why are quantum physicists so poor at sex?
A: Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.

Ooops, I thought this was the quantum physics joke thread. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." ~W.C. Fields

Posts: 2935 | Location: Anaheim Hills, CA | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of str8dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

I personally haven't seen any cigarettes added to my Cuban cigars.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---

Look away, and cast not your eyes upon me ... for I am the WorSwisherSire.

May 12/14 Trader Feedback +62

Bobby Orr wants his hometown back.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Trawna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like another QM prank to me.

Proud Member of Habanos Brothers

Posts: 1685 | Location: ottawa, canada | Registered: May 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post