Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cuba and Cuban Cigars    James Suckling's Cuba Blog, 1/07
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Suckling's Cuba Blog, 1/07
 Login/Join

Director, Cigar Aficionado Online
Picture of David Savona
posted
James Suckling is on his way to Havana. He's blogging the trip on Cigar Aficionado Online. The first installment is going up today on our home page. Post your comments here, and check back often--James just might show up with more comments of his own.

Posts: 3142 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kechke
posted Hide Post
Quote> This week, I also hope to try the three new maduro Cohibas that are expected out this year: Genios, 5 1/2 by 52 ring; Mágicos, 4 1/2 by 52; and Secretos, 4 1/3 by 40. They will not be the black type of maduros from other countries but more like the current Cuban limitada range, or Colorado as the Cubans might say. <Quote

I was wondering if they are officially calling them "maduro"? I always thought that this wrapper designation was not used in describing Habanos.

I used to respect my elders.
Not so much any more!

Posts: 4307 | Location: Welland | Registered: August 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasting wine in Tuscany, smoking cigars in Havana. Tough life.

"Maduro" means, pretty much, "mature" or "aged". The color designation is "colorado" ("as the Cubans might say."). "They" in this case was James Suckling, not the Cuban cigar industry, and he also said, "not the black type of maduros from other countries..." which seems to mean not the black type of maduros from other countries, but maybe it means not the black type of maduros from other countries.

Posts: 10973 | Location: Avenida de las Nalgas, Quericæstan | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand it they are, indeed, referring to these as "Maduro".

Posts: 4238 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesnt look like maduro is a wrapper designation it looks like thats what they are calling aged cigars. From the quote the wrapper designation is colorado.

If ignorance is bliss .............. Why aren't there more happy people walking around?

Posts: 1019 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the official news release:

quote:
Habanos s.a. will launch a new line within the Cohiba brand dressed with Cuban Maduro Wrapper in 2007.
The Cuban Maduro Wrapper to be used in this new line of Cohiba is five years aged
Brands chosen for the 2007 Limited Editions are the following: Trinidad, Romeo and Julieta and Hoyo de Monterrey.
Presentation of new products for 2007 will take place during the 9th edition of the Habanos Festival.

Havana, June 29th, 2006.
Corporation Habanos s.a. announced that a launching of a new line with Cuban Maduro wrapper within the Cohiba brand will occur next year. The statement was made in the Annual Marketing Meeting held by the Co. and its Exclusive Distributors from 26 -28 of June in Havana city. This announcement means the creation of a third line in its flagship brand, after the Classic and Siglo 1492 Lines. Habanos s.a. has been working in this project for more than five years as well as for Cohiba Behike.

Cuban Maduro Wrapper is obtained through a natural fermentation process undergoing an ageing of two years minimum - as Habanos s.a. clearly pointed out. Unlike other Maduro wrappers from other origins, that include artificial processes to force the colour of the wrappers, the process for obtaining Cuban Maduro Wrappers is 100% natural.

Representatives from Habanos s.a. also pointed out that â??for maintaining the coherence with the international leadership of said brand, the Cuban Maduro wrapper used to dress these productions is five years aged. Thus, official sources added the Cuban Maduro Wrapper will have an extra ageing adding more uniqueness to this product.

Posts: 4238 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like that was written by Gerard! LOL! These people mispeak others read it and the mistake becomes the gospel.

If ignorance is bliss .............. Why aren't there more happy people walking around?

Posts: 1019 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
European Editor, Cigar Aficionado
posted Hide Post
We will see how Maduro they are. I hope I can smoke a few this trip. Just to let you know, I have some Partagas panetellas from the early 1980s with the word "Maduro" printed on the back of their box, and they have very dark wrappers -- more than colorado. So, there is a tradition for this.

Posts: 190 | Location: Tuscany | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James I think you will taste these new cigars since they must be ready for the presentation during the Festival next month.
Furthermore I know they will be produced in Partagàs since I have the production form where they say that the " Mes de inicio de su entrega" is February.
I think that if you ask something to Ilda or Deborah they will let you taste them.... Wink
Ciao.
Massimo

Posts: 42 | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mr. suckling, are you staying in a casa or hotel?

Posts: 157 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
Part two just went live on our homepage.

Posts: 3142 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
European Editor, Cigar Aficionado
posted Hide Post
No puedo decir....but I took a run on the Malecon this morning.

Posts: 190 | Location: Tuscany | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
James, haven't I told you that jogging is bad for the health? You need to sit back, crack a beer and smoke more cigars!

Shame about that 2000 Bollie. Save me a Petit Edmundo please.

posted Hide Post
James segui i consigli di David......

Posts: 42 | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James,
I'm sorry to hear about the BBFs. I'm smoking an OSU 2000 box that is fantastic. It's one of the earthiest smokes I've ever tried. It's become my weekend coffee cigar.

Posts: 35 | Location: Cartago, CR | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$130 for a box of 25 Petit Edmundos? That can't be US Dollars. Can it? I recall Cigar Aficionado on November 17, 2006 saying a box of 25 was retailing for US$490 in the UK.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
could the Bolis performance be due to the AC problems at the store ?

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure James has friends...

Posts: 2707 | Location: vintagecigarclub | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PAB0
posted Hide Post
James, Wouldn't it be great to hold a contest for a CA reader to win a trip to go along with you on one of these Cuba trips? All I read about is you editors having all the fun. If Cuba is too complicated then why not DR or Nic or Hond.? Just a thought.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lopez was saying how his customers are loving the Petit Edmundo, or the "perfect one-coffee" cigar. He said you can smoke it in 10 or 15 minutes and it delivers all the richness and flavor you could expect out of quick-fix smoke. It's about the same time it takes to enjoy a good Cuban coffee, he says. I couldn't agree more.

James, you serious? It takes me 45 minutes to smoke a Hoyo Petit Robusto!

Posts: 4441 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post