Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cuba and Cuban Cigars    Siglo VI Gran Reserva
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Siglo VI Gran Reserva
 Login/Join

posted
Please answer yes or no obviously only if you have smoked it. "Did you feel like you got your money's worth from the Siglo VI Gran Reserva?"

Posts: 74 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: January 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of perfectform
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I think the value of it when given to me was $115 and I don't think it was anywhere near that class of smoke. I've had 3 different book cigars that were all better, not that I necessarily thought of them as worth the price either. I am not sure its really attainable when I think of some really great <$10 smokes or even some $20-30 smokes. Nothing could really be 3-5x or 10x better than those more reasonably priced cigars.

Posts: 417 | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Peacemaker
posted Hide Post
I was generously given one by a close friend and finally smoked it a few months ago. It tasted like an aged Siglo VI which, essentially, is what it is. Very good cigar, but not worth anywhere near $100.

Buy a box of Siglo VI and put them away for 5-6 years and you will have basically the same smoke, IMO. Or, pay a premium for a box of Siglo VI from 2005/2006 or so and it will still be MUCH cheaper than these.

To me, the reservas are more about "collecting" than smoking. If you're a collector, you may find them worth the price. If you're simply buying them to smoke and not to "display"or re-sell, I'd recommend the advice in the above paragraph.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Peacemaker,

Better beautiful than perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7QP4uNkSM

Posts: 2059 | Location: AZ | Registered: September 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Xavier1975
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
The only CGR that was worth $150+ a stick was the 2ct festival box. I have had one and it was the only 99 pt cigar I have ever smoked.

Lucky guy!

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mexico City | Registered: March 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was worth it for me. Is any smoke really worth $150? Probably not but the experience was worth the price of admission for me. For what it's worth I didn't think it was that similar to a regular Siglo VI either. I haven't smoked one from 2003 so I may not be the best judge.

Posts: 25 | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of A Work Of Art
posted Hide Post
I have got to try one. I still have those two festival boxes. I am only hoping they are close to what you had.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
The only CGR that was worth $150+ a stick was the 2ct festival box. I have had one and it was the only 99 pt cigar I have ever smoked.

Posts: 4053 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol I have done this with a 10 pk box from 05 and another from 07 and the 05 was wonderful, thats why I was thinking that this Gran Reserva may be worth it.
quote:
Originally posted by The Peacemaker:
I was generously given one by a close friend and finally smoked it a few months ago. It tasted like an aged Siglo VI which, essentially, is what it is. Very good cigar, but not worth anywhere near $100.

Buy a box of Siglo VI and put them away for 5-6 years and you will have basically the same smoke, IMO. Or, pay a premium for a box of Siglo VI from 2005/2006 or so and it will still be MUCH cheaper than these.

To me, the reservas are more about "collecting" than smoking. If you're a collector, you may find them worth the price. If you're simply buying them to smoke and not to "display"or re-sell, I'd recommend the advice in the above paragraph.

Posts: 74 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: January 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also the Monte#4 Reserva to me was nothing to write home about. I mean, its a Monte#4 I don't believe I have ever smoked a bad one. I thought they changed the tobacco composition between the reserva's and the regular production sticks. To me it seems one is better off to age something that loved when it was new, and enjoy it mellowing and balancing out to be a perfect smoke.

Picture of CigarGuy88
posted Hide Post
The OR Sig VI blows the GR out of the water right now. I think the GR is still quite young and should age well but will it be worth $100+ a stick when it gets good? I don't think so

Posts: 1164 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: December 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CigarGuy88
posted Hide Post
There are many more very nicely aged sticks from the 70s or 80s that I would be able to get multiples of for the same money as 1 CGR based on that price. I'll take old and crusty over something nowhere near its prime!

Posts: 1164 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: December 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
No delete/rephrase this time?

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3474 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Supercharged:
quote:
Originally posted by JB-07:

You seem bored. If have nothing else better to do than stalk my posts, watch the video in my signature.

I seem bored? lmao

Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You seem bored. If have nothing else better to do than stalk my posts, watch the video in my signature.

I seem bored? lmao

Think about it.

You're thinking "you're the one who's bored".

Who's following and replying to my posts?

You.

Following? Tough to miss the mass amounts of litter you spew here.

Picture of CigarGuy88
posted Hide Post
If you looked at any of the dates in my blog you would have noticed I haven't kept up with it at all. Also I don't post everything I smoke online and nor should I have to. I've smoked my fair share of 70s, 80s, and pre-blend change 90s cigars and I would appreciate it if you could stop interjecting your opinion into topics which you know nothing about. Thanks