Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cuba and Cuban Cigars    La Guarida Paladar Permanently Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

La Guarida Paladar Permanently Closed
 Login/Join

Picture of roycigar
posted
Something that escaped my radar until I came across a blog from James Suckling is the closing of La Guarida, arguably the finest paladar in Havana. Havana is far from the epicurian capitol of the world, but one could always find a very good meal at a few places such as La Guarida, El Aljibe, La Cocina de Lilliam, La Casa and a few others. Dined here twice and remember climbing the stairs in an otherwise dilapidated building only to be pleasantly surprised by the quality and tasteiness of the seafood dishes I had the pleasure of enjoying. RIP La Guarida...I'll be smoking a HDM Churchill from 2006 in your memory this evening.

Posts: 1974 | Location: Miramar, La Habana, Cuba | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed, it was a great place. I can't believe it is closing!! Then again - I suppose it's inevitable.

The location of the paladar was featured in the award winning film, "Fresa y Chocolate" which opened to great acclaim in 1993 and won awards in 1994, which was essentially the heart of the "special period" when the Russians withdrew. The film focused on dissension, discontent, the growing tourist class, contrasts and similarities, and homosexuality as being recognized in the machismo culture that is Cuba.

The food was superb, never mind for Havana.

In Cuba, it always seems that, once something gains notoriety for being good, somehow, it gets shut down. Hatuey beer...gone. Matusalem rum...gone. Nightclubs like Palacio de la Salsa, Club Ache...gone. Any glimmer of hope quashed.

Lousy news, Roy...

Posts: 10971 | Location: Avenida de las Nalgas, Quericæstan | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ColginIX
posted Hide Post
Roy,

On my last trip (Feb. 2009), I went to La Guarida twice and enjoyed it immensely, but I would have to say that my meal at the Dr. Cafe in Miramar was the best of the trip. They also served the BEST coffee of my life. It was like a dessert. Have you been there?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Posts: 112 | Location: 22.976313, -82.38265 | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roycigar
posted Hide Post
Nope...never been there. What's the address, if you have it?

Posts: 1974 | Location: Miramar, La Habana, Cuba | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kechke
posted Hide Post
Supposedly run by a real doctor.
28 No. 111 e/ 1ra y 3ra, Miramar.

I used to respect my elders.
Not so much any more!

Posts: 4307 | Location: Welland | Registered: August 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ColginIX
posted Hide Post
That sounds about right kechke and looks about right on maps google.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Posts: 112 | Location: 22.976313, -82.38265 | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post