Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Cuba and Cuban Cigars    Abel Exposito Manager LCDH Partagas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abel Exposito Manager LCDH Partagas
 Login/Join

posted
It Has Come To Our Attention! That Manager Abel Exposito from LCDH has been arrested in Havana early Friday morning!

Posts: 26 | Location: Tijuana,B.C Mexico | Registered: April 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kryptic4l
posted Hide Post
just before the partagas festival ?

Posts: 169 | Location: Alberta, Canada  | Registered: April 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
I had heard that. Any word on where he is or if there are any charges yet?
The charges probably shouldn't be posted here but interested to know just if there are any yet.

"If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks."
Brendan Behan

Posts: 2584 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the sad news seems to be confirmed, international cigar smuggle toward swiss, and illegal detention of foreing currency are the charges... also hos son was arrested at the Havana's Airport, and his ex wife.. you can find more info at our Cigar blog, are in Italian, but you can use the automatic translator embedded in the blog's main page. http://cigarevents.blogspot.it/

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
Now we know where the grey market cigars come from. He had access to real bands, legit boxes, and cuban tobacco (but still sold knockoffs)

quote:
Originally posted by zappolo:
Unfortunately the sad news seems to be confirmed, international cigar smuggle toward swiss, and illegal detention of foreing currency are the charges... also hos son was arrested at the Havana's Airport, and his ex wife.. you can find more info at our Cigar blog, are in Italian, but you can use the automatic translator embedded in the blog's main page. http://cigarevents.blogspot.it/

Posts: 2733 | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dangolf18:
Now we know where the grey market cigars come from. He had access to real bands, legit boxes, and cuban tobacco (but still sold knockoffs)

yes, but I actually think that both cuba government, and Habanos SA, were aware of this "problem", I mean, maybe under the pressure of some foreing importers, they have taken the most emblematic scapegoat... is since the release of the "unofficial" Salomones by partagas, that is known that not all the "real" cubans are released and marketed by habanos...

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Peacemaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now we know where the grey market cigars come from. He had access to real bands, legit boxes, and cuban tobacco (but still sold knockoffs

No, these are more like "black market". Many of us have known for some time that there was a large operation in which many cigars would find their way out of the back door of the Partagas factory. True "grey market" vendors use official distributors. They just don't use the one from their country due to high taxes/duties. They'll use one from another country to save $. Are they supposed to do this? No. But, since the cigars come from AN official distributor, there is no reason to worry.

What Abel has been suspected of doing by many(for a very long time) is actually STEALING cigars and also stealing raw tobacco and having it rolled in other locations. There has also been speculation that substandard tobacco (that would otherwise be rejected) has been purchased from farms at a discount and used in this operation. There is nothing "grey market" about a situation such as that. It's as "black market" as you can get. This kind of operation, in all likelihood, is where all of those fake Behikes and other special cigars that guys like Adam from the Bahamas try to push to rich guys who don't know any better.

Cuba will tend to look the other way if it's a true "grey market" operation. In other words, as long as they're moving authentic product, it's not such a big deal to them if it goes through the "wrong" official distributor. However, when it comes to large amounts of counterfeits being moved...and cigars and raw materials being stolen...they will eventually do something about that.

Better beautiful than perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7QP4uNkSM

Posts: 2059 | Location: AZ | Registered: September 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Juan Alvarez
posted Hide Post
So this guy has been making all of the glass sliding lid LE boxes that were in Cigar Teacher's "dream shop"?

Posts: 169 | Location: Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Peacemaker:
quote:
Now we know where the grey market cigars come from. He had access to real bands, legit boxes, and cuban tobacco (but still sold knockoffs

No, these are more like "black market". Many of us have known for some time that there was a large operation in which many cigars would find their way out of the back door of the Partagas factory. True "grey market" vendors use official distributors. They just don't use the one from their country due to high taxes/duties. They'll use one from another country to save $. Are they supposed to do this? No. But, since the cigars come from AN official distributor, there is no reason to worry.

What Abel has been suspected of doing by many(for a very long time) is actually STEALING cigars and also stealing raw tobacco and having it rolled in other locations. There has also been speculation that substandard tobacco (that would otherwise be rejected) has been purchased from farms at a discount and used in this operation. There is nothing "grey market" about a situation such as that. It's as "black market" as you can get. This kind of operation, in all likelihood, is where all of those fake Behikes and other special cigars that guys like Adam from the Bahamas try to push to rich guys who don't know any better.

Cuba will tend to look the other way if it's a true "grey market" operation. In other words, as long as they're moving authentic product, it's not such a big deal to them if it goes through the "wrong" official distributor. However, when it comes to large amounts of counterfeits being moved...and cigars and raw materials being stolen...they will eventually do something about that.

Exactly. Just like the 1996 Especialidads Mo Money tried to sell for years which did not have the "cut feet". He claimed he got them from able and even used his name in print to verify that those cigars were the same cigars used to fill the humidors that Wolters had specially made for the Especialidads (but just with un cut feet). They were nothing like the original 1996s and everyone who smoked the originals new it. It became apparent that Able had these made for Mo money, put the lables on them and then MM tried to pass them off as authentic 1996s until he got outed.

Posts: 670 | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
At the moment, anything written here can only be speculation.
I don't think insinuating on a forum, public or otherwise, that Abel Esposito, his family or any retailer have broken a law is a great idea. Especially when there have been arrests.
I have and never had any dealings with anyone mentioned on this thread but nobody here has any evidence about what might or might not have happened.
A man and his family are in jail, there's more to this than cigars.

Brendan Behan

Posts: 2584 | Location: Dublin | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AnRyan "more to this than cigars" i doubt that. the guy got corrupted. plain and simple. you really think able can pull of what he does at 20CUC a month as a cigar store manager. i can't not see ultra rich guys throwing dump trucks of money at the guy for cheaper cubans.

we can talk about it all we want. i doubt ables cuban lawyer will be able to do much about our musings

Posts: 158 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnRyan:
At the moment, anything written here can only be speculation.
I don't think insinuating on a forum, public or otherwise, that Abel Esposito, his family or any retailer have broken a law is a great idea. Especially when there have been arrests.
I have and never had any dealings with anyone mentioned on this thread but nobody here has any evidence about what might or might not have happened.
A man and his family are in jail, there's more to this than cigars.

Didn't you ask what the charges were? So, someone is supposed to answer your question and then the thread should end?

He has been suspected for doing exactly what he has been charged with for a very long time. I'm actually very surprised that the Cuban authorities have not made an arrest previously, as someone, somewhere had to know, or at least suspect, something. As to his family, I have no information as to what their supposed involvement may be. So, I have no intention of speaking about that.

Yes, this is about more than cigars. It's about someone who's been suspected of black-marketeering and larceny for a very long time who was finally arrested for it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: AZ | Registered: September 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Didn't you ask what the charges were?

No, I asked if he had been charged and that the charges should probably not be posted here for the very reason that it would lead to speculation. Which it has.

Brendan Behan

Picture of AnRyan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p2:
AnRyan "more to this than cigars" i doubt that.

What I meant was, there are more important things than cigars. I have seen, too often, retailers and high-spending cigar smokers take the attitude, "let's get out of this Cuban what we can. If he 'goes away', lay low for a while and we'll get a new Cuban".
Actually I've seen this attitude not just with regard to Cubans.

Brendan Behan

Picture of Kryptic4l
posted Hide Post
Im pretty sure, no matter what is posted, will hold no bearing on the future for this man. Whatever the reason, it does not matter, it's not like he stands a chance at a fair trial regardless, they will charge him and sentence him as they see fit. Then release propaganda.

Anyone else find it strange that this happened roughly around the same time the island was hit by a hurricane ?

Posts: 169 | Location: Alberta, Canada  | Registered: April 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
I have asked the site owners to remove this thread. You have named a real person. That is against thge rules.

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 9646 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnRyan:
quote:

Didn't you ask what the charges were?

No, I asked if he had been charged and that the charges should probably not be posted here for the very reason that it would lead to speculation. Which it has.

My apologies. I misread your first post. However, one can type in his name in a web search and three news stories come up regarding the arrest. Not sure of the need for secrecy if the info is easily accessed elsewhere. Like I said, allegations have been floating around for at least 6 to 8 years...maybe longer. And not by just random people...by insiders who know what's what. What I've been told by them and have seen from them is very damning indeed. Not going to go into any more detail than I have, though, as, yes, I've probably already said too much.

Picture of oliverdst
posted Hide Post
Remove the whole thread? Isn't possible just edit some posts?
I think this thread is extremely important and most of us are interested on it.

I am wondering what the websites that sell those cigars will do now. I mean, where they gonna have their cigars now? If they go to the legal way they will be out of the market.

Posts: 261 | Location: Brazil | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was Abel on homeland...whats the big deal here..Just a big criminal getting caught in a place we can't go too....since half the board knows all the players it should not be a surpriase.

Posts: 1747 | Location: new york | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marker
posted Hide Post
Everything said here is readable by typing into google. I don't know why you would moderate it.

Marker.

Posts: 3008 | Registered: June 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post