Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Golf    Smoking while swinging
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking while swinging
 Login/Join

Picture of mrkgllnt
posted
Just wondered if anyone has mastered the golf swing with a cigar in your mouth. I've always found it a bit distracting but can still manage a decent swing. I always make sure its with a crappy $2 stick though because after a few holes the end gets gnawed pretty damn bad.

Posts: 7 | Location: Mass | Registered: May 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No thank you. Too much smoke in my eyes and breath.

___

"If a man speaks on a dessert island, and his wife is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Posts: 1164 | Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: February 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CECtech
posted Hide Post
I like to hold an unlit cigar in my mouth while swinging the clubs. Seems like I relax more and my swing evens out. Although, i usually light it up by the 4th or 5th hole.

It helps keep my mind off my swing. The worst thing you can do when playing any sport is "think". It jacks everything up.lol

"Quickly, Bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my brain and say something clever!"

--Aristophanes

Posts: 1478 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
Not a chance, unless I'm chipping, putting, or hitting an easy punch shot. If I tried to hit a driver with a cigar in mouth, my yardage would probably go from 290 to 200 Big Grin

Posts: 2733 | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Director, Cigar Aficionado Online
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
Very hard to do. You can burn your shoulder. Also, you're going to puff too often, making the smoke unduly harsh.

Have you watched our golf and cigars video?

http://bcove.me/b3f3idai

Posts: 3158 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
I show how NOT to do it, around 2:45.

Posts: 3158 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Magicoa
posted Hide Post
I can't even putt while smoking.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: March 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Magicoa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Savona:
Very hard to do. You can burn your shoulder. Also, you're going to puff too often, making the smoke unduly harsh.

Have you watched our golf and cigars video?

http://bcove.me/b3f3idai

Is that the correct video?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: March 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
Let's try this again:

http://bcove.me/lw1ecgxj

Picture of soupçon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Savona:
Let's try this again:

http://bcove.me/lw1ecgxj

Great videos. Thank you for posting those, as I am new in here and had not viewed either one of them previously. I am fairly new to the the cigar world and my wife got me some cigars and the 20 Year Anniversary issue magazine several months ago - which is why I subscribed and am also now here online with Cigar Aficionado. I hope to learn much much more here as time goes on.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chip In
posted Hide Post
Not gonna happen. I like a puff between strokes though but never during a swing.

I smoke, therefore I am. - me

Posts: 136 | Location: Montreal | Registered: December 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KrustyKatonk
posted Hide Post
Shot my best scores with a stogie in my mouth. No idea why.

Documented here:
http://forums.cigaraficionado....5106283/m/7897040832

Posts: 21 | Location: Glendale, CA | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lyza
posted Hide Post
I tend to hook the ball, so I put the cigar between my index and middle finger of my right hand, while I swing the club, and it straightens out the flight path.

I think of it as giving my right hand something useful to do.

Lyza

Posts: 15 | Location: Home | Registered: March 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RupertPumpkin
posted Hide Post
Having a cigar in your mouth while swinging can actually be a good tool to IMPROVE your swing~ as long as you're holding it relaxed, firmly without biting it will help keep your entire body relaxed and not tense through the swing.
If you result in gnawing your cigar then you're biting it, which means you're too tense. If the cigar is in good condition then your body is in the ideal, relaxed swinging condition for further, straighter shots.

Posts: 351 | Location: AZ | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post