Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Non-Cuban Cigars    Where can I buy cigars in Punta Cana
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where can I buy cigars in Punta Cana
 Login/Join

Picture of swb
posted
I travel quite often and have made several trips to Cuba and have filled several of my humidors with top Cuban cigars (except the newer behike 52, which I hope try soon). However, I have just purchased another humidore which I want to fill with top Dominican cigars. I will be traveling to Punta Cana in april staying at the majestic elegance, elegance club section and would like to know any locations near there that I can purchase authentic top Dominican cigars.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Squarehead
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.Big names of cigars are very expensive as the have to be reimported into the DR.They cost just as much in Canada.However there're lesser known brands available which are not too bad.I always go to Puerto Plata(go there next month again)and buy singles everyday and smoke them before commiting to buy boxes.

"The world is a book,those who don't travel read only one page",St.Augustine

Posts: 2006 | Location: Brantford,Ontario | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have been to p.plata a couple times and purchased cigars...they are pricier than you would expect. as far as i understand, most of their recognizable brand cigars are exported with a free trade agreement then imported back to sell... so its not like cuba where we can buy top brands @ the best price. I started smoking cigars there in 03' at a wedding and aspired to pay for my trip by returning with a 2 boxes of cohiba esplendidos that i thought would surely sell for big dollars online...seems how i payed 60 bucks each for them it was sure thing ha ha ha...didnt happen. that was the first trip. The second time i bought from the stores around playa dorada complex which is on the p.plata side of the island and they were priced slightly higher than some tax-friendly areas in the states but still way cheaper than here in cow-town...a couple years ago i asked a buddy to keep his eye out for cigars in Punta Cana. he didnt see to much other than small factories here and there with house brands for sale. maybe someelse knows of a good store near your hotel. buenas suerte...

Posts: 679 | Location: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome to the forum.Big names of cigars are very expensive as the have to be reimported into the DR.They cost just as much in Canada.

i dont want to mis inform i was last there in 06' and the cigars did seem cheaper than in canada that might changed since. good luck...

Posts: 679 | Location: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MUliano
posted Hide Post
Chris I'll be going to PC in 2 weeks, Feb 12-19. If I see anything I'll let you know. I'm going to be staying at the NH Royal Beach.

"If I learned one thing from this, NEVER trust a tortoise smuggler." -anthony_joseph

Posts: 689 | Location: Queens, NY | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddy_waters_creamy_smoke
posted Hide Post
Online. And then you can bring them with you.

oh, sticky...

Posts: 380 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Quarterlfecrisis>
posted
Basically there are fake CC and overpriced NC in the DOminican. Just buy a travel humi and a boveda pack and bring your smokes with you.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddy_waters_creamy_smoke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarterlfecrisis:
Basically there are fake CC and overpriced NC in the DOminican. Just buy a travel humi and a boveda pack and bring your smokes with you.

X3

oh, sticky...

Posts: 380 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats too bad...a guy has to bring his own dominican cigars from home to the d.r. for a holiday and they are producing the most in the world. I would love to walk into a store in d.r. with all their brands for sale...wow

posted Hide Post
Listen if you want to go in Punta cana and buy cohiba great but a lot fake out there. To my advices, try Arturo Fuentes, they a store on the road to Veron and on the beach in los Corales you have Juan Clemente, whom are doing their own cigars which is wonderful. Also you can find another cigar brand in Punta Cana called Pléiades although pléiades is not a very strong cigar. Juan Clemente is really a good choice believe me.

best regards

AR

Posts: 1 | Location: Panama City, Panama | Registered: February 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is quite a few local brands to choose from, that you will not find anywhere else. I was recently there, and smoked three different brands. Vista Real, Santa Ana, and Noris. All were very smooth, sweet cigars, and so cheap. They were purchased right off the resort humidor.

I would just steer clear of the beach sales.

http://newcigarsmokerreviews.blogspot.com/

Posts: 32 | Location: Georgetown, ON (Toronto) | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarterlfecrisis:

That's what I did when I was there a few years back. Seems strange, but you really couldn't find the big name smokes there and if you could they were way overpriced. I did pick up a box of decent locally rolled cigars there, although many of the little places are set up for tourists that are not frequent cigar smokers. The place we were at had some very small cigars to sample, ALL of which were flavored. When trying to buy a box of non flavored cigars they kept assuring me "these are very mild." With a bit of a language barrier I finally convinced them I preferred something stronger, and ended up with a box that I would consider medium bodied.

Posts: 1074 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Iberostar chain last year. There are like 4 resorts in a row which you are allowed to travel to all 4. In the middle of the 4 is a Discoteque and in the same shopping mall is a cigar store. They had a nice selection of NC's and Cubans. I can say with 100% assurance the Cubans were real and not too badly priced. They had pretty much a sample of most of the big names regular releases. I smoked about 6 while there and brought a couple more home. I have no doubts on their authenticity.

Posts: 247 | Registered: November 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post