Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Non-Cuban Cigars    Opinions on Dunhill Aged Dominicans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Dunhill Aged Dominicans
 Login/Join

posted
Did a search but didn't find much info on here from other users. Anyone try these before? What are they similar to? Good for the price?

Posts: 1083 | Location: United States | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TheCanadian
posted Hide Post
Since the change to the Garcia factory there is a noticeable difference in quality and taste. A change for the better if you ask me. But still I'm not a huge fan of the aged line, as they are quite pricey for their mediocre flavours, not to say I'd turn one down but I wouldn't buy a box. Speaking strictly of price, at that price point you would be better looking at some higher end Alec Bradley, Padron, AVO and My father all of which you can find sales on.

Posts: 57 | Location: Cape Breton, NS Canada | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Associate Editor, Cigar Aficionado
Picture of Gregory Mottola
posted Hide Post
I don't have opinions, but I do have some facts. The Dunhill Aged Range USED to be made at Tabacalera de Garcia, the Dominican factory owned by Altadis. They are no longer made there. Dunhill Aged Range is now made at the General Cigar Dominicana factory, owned by General, also in the Dominican Republic. The changeover happened last year. The Dunhill brand is owned by B.A.T. (British American Tobacco) and distributed by General. Recently, Dunhill released an Aged Range Reserva with tobacco from 2003. It's a Connecticut-wrapped cigar, and is blended to be mild to medium-bodied in flavor and strength. If that is the profile you are looking, for, then I say give them a try.

Posts: 2206 | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TheCanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheCanadian:
Since the change to(EDIT:"From") the Garcia factory there is a noticeable difference in quality and taste. A change for the better if you ask me. But still I'm not a huge fan of the aged line, as they are quite pricey for their mediocre flavours, not to say I'd turn one down but I wouldn't buy a box. Speaking strictly of price, at that price point you would be better looking at some higher end Alec Bradley, Padron, AVO and My father all of which you can find sales on.

I realized my earlier post contained "to" instead of "from". But I will add that I've tried 4 of them, 2 robusto and 2 toro, both nearly one dimensional and that one dimension being pretty good. They both had a slightly spicy aged tobacco and leather flavour from light to nub. If that is what your looking for then these may even be a good day to day smoke. Personally I would try some samplers of similar mild-medium cigars in the price range to compare and maybe pick up a 5 pack of the Dunhill's and let them sit as some age in the humidor to marry should do these well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheCanadian,

Posts: 57 | Location: Cape Breton, NS Canada | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm looking for a cheaper version of ashton cabinet, diamond crown, or davidoff classic. ordered a bunch of avo classics and some ashton 898, but was going to order a 10 pack of the dunhill condados as well to see if i liked them. i like a nice creamy mild/medium smoke during the day and i was hoping these would fit that profile bc they're about $6 a stick at a 10 pack.

Posts: 1083 | Location: United States | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just ordered some of those and also a box of montecristo white court tubes. the montecristos were on sale for $117.95 with free shipping for the box of 15. can't beat that price

Picture of Dr. Wu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory Mottola:
I don't have opinions, but I do have some facts. The Dunhill Aged Range USED to be made at Tabacalera de Garcia, the Dominican factory owned by Altadis. They are no longer made there. Dunhill Aged Range is now made at the General Cigar Dominicana factory, owned by General, also in the Dominican Republic. The changeover happened last year. The Dunhill brand is owned by B.A.T. (British American Tobacco) and distributed by General. Recently, Dunhill released an Aged Range Reserva with tobacco from 2003. It's a Connecticut-wrapped cigar, and is blended to be mild to medium-bodied in flavor and strength. If that is the profile you are looking, for, then I say give them a try.

How does a professional "cigar guy" not have opinions, unless you haven't smoked them, I guess.

In the past these, Cabreras in my experience, have been mild and kind of grassy and somewhat creamy tasting. Almost always a perfectly constructed cigar with good even burn and perfect draw. The kind of thing you might have with a summer or lite beer, Pinot Grigio or margarita, IMO.

"Even on a bad night a Steely Dan show puts more musicality and skill on display than pretty much any band."

Posts: 4534 | Location: New England | Registered: May 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Polar bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Wu:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gregory Mottola:

How does a professional "cigar guy" not have opinions, unless you haven't smoked them, I guess.
QUOTE]

I think he was trying to be impartial to the discussion and just supply some facts.
Considering the CA review crew smoke close to 1000 cigars a year, i'd say there is a pretty good chance Greg has smoked one before...

Posts: 462 | Location: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have the dunhills tomoro. Just got my ashton cabinets today, so i stuck em in the humidor to let them rest for a lil while before i smoke any. Rough weather so they prob had a rough ride getting to me. I'll post a review of them when i try one next week

Picture of elcaribe
posted Hide Post
Tried a few and they are ok IMHO but not great.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Posts: 4353 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
elcaribe-do they fit the profile of what i'm looking for-mild and creamy?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellot00tr:
elcaribe-do they fit the profile of what i'm looking for-mild and creamy?
. If your looking for mild and creamy, Try the Montecristo white label. Very mild and very creamy and nothing much else. I smoked a aged Dunhill a few nights ago, and like Greg said mild to medium in strength, flavor wise coffee with a hint of straw.

Posts: 90 | Location: Location : Location | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i actually bought a box of the monte white court tubes the other day with the dunhills and haven't tried them yet. actually smoked one of the dunhills last night and the draw on that thing was atrocious. it was so difficult to get a draw out of it. not sure if it's because i just got it and they keep them overhumidified bc they ship them without humidification

posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember the old Canary Island Dunhills? The white banded cigars with the brown logo.

Posts: 423 | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GorditoItaliano
posted Hide Post
One of my local smoke shops just got the aged Dunhills in, I grabbed a robusto it had a black colored band. The other size they had in was the gigante, with a blue band. Price was for a Dunhill and a La Aroma de Cuba El Jefe I spent 20 bucks and I thought that was too much.

***Update the MSRP for the el Jefe is 6.95 I now feel robbed.

***2nd Update I actually got the Robusto Grande, MSRP is 15, so I got a bit under on the total price, I guess I wasn't robbed. Here's a review from halfwheel:

http://www.halfwheel.com/revie...serva-especial-2003/

***3rd update and final impression: It's just not a 15 dollar cigar, regardless of aged tobacco, the name, or the quality. I know it's supposed to be a milder smoke, good solid flavors through out, creamy nuttiness, clean burn, hints of hay, and a kiss of spice in the retrohale. Quote me "I will never buy this one again."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GorditoItaliano,

Posts: 53 | Location: Wintersville, OH | Registered: November 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoking my second one right now, same probs with draw. Used a v cut this time, and it's just not doing well. Decent flavor but not bring able to get a good draw is really not making me happy

posted Hide Post
The cigar feels like a rock in 3 places, which is absurd. Same issue as last one. Def not humidity issue, and let them rest for a week-took 1 day to get to me after ordering. Kept at 66% rh since i got them.

posted Hide Post
i didn't realize it until the other day, there are two different dunhill aged cigars. the one with the blue bands that i bought were dunhill aged dominicans. the black ones i'm not sure about. i didn't even see the black band cigars on the general cigar website, but i think they're the newest one. i've seen the dunhills with the red bad as well, which they have at my local b&m. i paid only $65 for a box of 10 of the blue dunhill aged condados online. the pricing was crazy. singles are $11, but the box of 10 makes the cigars almost half price.

Picture of Tse'Nagi
posted Hide Post
This might sound a bit odd but I think they are too lite/mild for the money, I want to be able to taste a cigar for the price I pay, that is one reason why I smoke cigars, for the flavors ( not barely taste them )

Posts: 307 | Location: Oneida Nation Wisconsin | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost Macanudo mild, but with better flavor. The black band is not much different. Have had 3 or 4 now. so-so

Posts: 72 | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post