Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Non-Cuban Cigars    Smoking my first Nub
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking my first Nub
 Login/Join

posted
In the middle of smoking my first nub cigar. It's a connecticut 460. Impressed for the first 1/3, but it begins to burn a lil hot after the half way point. Def the taste of wood and cedar with a nutty touch, very creamy. Really well constructed and beautiful ash. It stayed on for more than half the way thru. Very good smoke output, and i used a punch rather than a guillotine. I wad concerned that i wouldnt have a good draw, so i took a xikar v cut with me outside in case the punch wasnt enough, but it wasnt an issue. Smoking a little warm thru the last third, so i'm giving up on it. Def an enjoyable smoke, but not sure it's worth $7 a single.

Posts: 1083 | Location: United States | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marker
posted Hide Post
With most large ring cigars I will purge them a couple times while smoking. Depends on cigar but will purge 2-3 times a toro. Gets rid of the bitter taste at the end of a larger cigar. Also the hot burning could be smoking too fast or too hard a puff. Slow down. Let it even go out once in a bit if you need to. Make an effort to put it down and relax for 2 minutes once in a while. Does wonders for the cigar.

Marker.

Posts: 3024 | Registered: June 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, i'll take that into consideration. Def the largest ring guage cigar i ever smoked, but since i was standing outside freezing my butt off, i def smoked it pretty quickly. Cant wait for the weather to get better so i can sit out and really enjoy my cigars

Posts: 1083 | Location: United States | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BigBruce
posted Hide Post
I personally hated the Nub Cameroon I had. One of my least favorite cigars yet

"If you can't send money, send tobacco" - George Washington

Posts: 633 | Location: Knoxville | Registered: November 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Earl The Pearl
posted Hide Post
I really liked the habano. Much like the Olivia V.

Posts: 668 | Location: Oviedo, FL | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
Smoked most of the Nubs and they're all good...I just have a big problem with the ring gauge...too big for my liking.

I'm more of a 46 to 50 kinda guy, with 52 as my max.

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3716 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about it today and when i ordered a few of the illusione le taureaus and illusione le elegances, i ordered 1 more nub 460 torpedo & 1 regular 460 just to give it another try. For $11, i figured what the hell. usually i like to smoke 2-3 of a cigar to really get a good feel for it. Def need to get used to the huge ring gauge-especially coming from somethng like a davidoff #2. Even the le elegance is only a 40, so the nub feels like it's massive. I will say this though-usually when i smoke, my wife tells me i stink. Last nite after the nub, she said i smelled pretty good-for whatever that's worth for everyone. In my eyes, it was a great thing bc i dont want her to complain that i stink and tell me to smoke less. It's my one relaxing and enjoyable thing to do every nite before going to bed, so i def dont want to give it up or have her complain about it.

Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
As for the aroma (i.e. aromatics) of Nubs (that's what she smells), I would place them waaaaaay down the list of premium cigars.

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3716 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Divino
posted Hide Post
I have tried the Nub 460 maduro and found that it was most excellent; I really enjoyed the sweet flavors and the fact that the cigar was good from start to end. Only little issue was the quality/price...yet it was acceptable.

Posts: 30 | Location: Spain | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post