Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Non-Cuban Cigars    Heart Attack, Stents and cigars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heart Attack, Stents and cigars
 Login/Join

posted
I am 41 and just had a heart attack and two stents put in. I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar situation or if I will ever be able to smoke cigars again maybe in extreme moderation like 1 or 2 a month. My wife wants the cigars out but I just don't have it in me at this time.

Hank

Posts: 27 | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EIM
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about that! I'm 43 and feel for you. Sounds like a question for Doc who I'm sure will let you know. Good luck

Posts: 143 | Location: Northville, MI USA | Registered: January 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listen to your cardiologist!!! Recent MI; stents only last a few yrs on average.

DOC

Posts: 421 | Registered: May 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DOC:
Listen to your cardiologist!!! Recent MI; stents only last a few yrs "on average." Must watch your wt, diet, *stress level, etc... all the behavioral health aspects to cardiac disease are extremely important. Also, if there is a family hx of cardiac disease you really need to be careful. But even saying this, I defer to your attending Cardiologist!
DOC

Addendum: Are you taking Plavix and an Asprin?

posted Hide Post
Yes I am one both of them. Also what happens after the stents go bad and how do you know if they are going bad. My father died of a heart attack at age 48 and my sister had one at 45 so cigars are not a good idea

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvsnyder:
Yes I am one both of them. Also what happens after the stents go bad and how do you know if they are going bad. My father died of a heart attack at age *48 and my sister had one at *45 so cigars are not a good idea

It sounds as though you have a very +++strong family hx of Cardiovascular disease in your family!!!

How do you know when the stents are going bad?

It's different for everyone, but most often you will start feeling bad, short of breath, fatigued, and will most likely experience angina (chest pain), or pain mostly often radiating down your left arm, pain in your jaw, back etc...) -->Do you also have Nitro; Isosorbide? In addition, whent the stents "go bad," they will usually do another angio-gram and then determine whether to "stent again," depending on the were the lesion is or just do open-heart [CABG].

I would ask your cardiologist ALL
these questions. Based on what your telling me, I would listen to your wife!

DOC

Picture of El P
posted Hide Post
My cardiologist doesn't count cigars as smoking. As long as they aren't inhaled, there's really no research showing any cardiovascular effect from cigar smoking. Oral cancers are a whole different ballgame, but a lot of that risk is the mixture of tobacco smoke and alchohol.

You're only 41 and you have stints in. I'm sure an occaisional cigar isn't going to make things any worse than they are.

Just make sure the situation stays monitered. Good luck brother.

Peace.

Posts: 2089 | Location: Internet | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente:
My cardiologist doesn't count cigars as smoking. As long as they aren't inhaled, there's really no research showing any cardiovascular effect from cigar smoking. Oral cancers are a whole different ballgame, but a lot of that risk is the mixture of tobacco smoke and alchohol.

You're only 41 and you have stints in. I'm sure an occaisional cigar isn't going to make things any worse than they are.

Just make sure the situation stays monitered. Good luck brother.

I would defer this "medical matter," to hysynder's and his attending cardiologist. Remember this individual has a very strong family hx of cardiac disease and related death due to cardiac disease in his family.

He needs to listen and work with his attending doctor/cardiologist!

DOC

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input Doc. My attending Doctor says I can have a occasional cigar but my cardiologist says no. I think the cardiologist hates any tobacco at all where my doctor smokes a pipe and may be a little more relaxed when it comes to cigars. I still can't part with the cigars yet I'll get let them set a age

Picture of sobek
posted Hide Post
The truth is, even those who do the actual research on this topic will not be able to give you a straight answer. Most research studies on the effects of smoking are done with cigarette smokers and they are almost always statistically based. Statistical studies are rarely accepted as valid until decades of similar results.

Here is something your physician or cardiologist will probably not know...in my lab we draw human blood for research use. If a donor has even a single cigarette in the morning, the blood serum turns extremely viscous compared to when they do not. In fact, it is so viscous it makes the components extremely difficult to separate. Viscosity in a major blood component is not something a person with 2 stents would want.

Posts: 7972 | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for your input Doc. My attending Doctor says I can have a occasional cigar but my cardiologist says no. I think the cardiologist hates any tobacco at all where my doctor smokes a pipe and may be a little more relaxed when it comes to cigars. I still can't part with the cigars yet I'll get let them set a age

Your welcome. If I were you, I would listen to your *cardiologist who is "treating your cardiovascular disease [CAD]." Your family doctor is not a board certified cardiologist.

He's [I'm assuming it's a male cardiologist] the one who performed the angio, reviewed the films and then stented you.

Remember you have a strong familial history of CAD. Is is worth the risk? It's your heart.

Good luck and listen to your attending cardiologist!

DOC

posted Hide Post
Doc is there anyway I can get your mailing address so I can mail you some cigars. If you let me know what you like I might have it.

Hank

Picture of sobek
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Funny how some people only read your advice if you advertise what you are.

Posts: 7972 | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doc is there anyway I can get your mailing address so I can mail you some cigars. If you let me know what you like I might have it.

Hank

I appreciate your offer. That's very kind and generous of you. I have enough cigars and then some! You may want to gift your cigars to others who are not as fortunate as us on this list serv.

Stay healthy and continue to follow-up with your cardiologist. He has your best interest at "heart." Smile

DOC

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your probs. I had my first in 1992 - 100% blockage in LAD (aka "widow maker"). Heard the doc's talking as I lay in ICU w/ a heart assist pump - didn't expect me to make it. Fast forward 13 yrs, I now have 6 stents. Last 5 were nothing major, knew something felt wrong & got into the cath lab in time. Mine is genetic - familial hi choles & heart probs.

On cigars - I'd side w/ DOC. Follow your cardiologist. My card says no prob occassional (3 per week, no inhale). He feels psych and physio "benefits" of me relaxing offset to positive side. But that's his opinion (and my fam phys). No real solid data on this. I take the risk knowing that card probs will kill me and cigars MAY contribute or not.

Good luck.

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your heart problems; Doc's advice is sound, as is Sobek's.... However I don't any of the cardiologists I work with who doesn't know of the change in viscosity of a smoker's blood. Even most of the phlebotomists can tell if someone's a serious smoker following a blood draw...

In an informal poll, 8 of the 9 cardiologists, and 4 of the 6 cardiac surgeons I work with say absolutely NO to to ANY tobacco products, with the dissenters agreeing that cigars MAY pose the least risk (1 of which is a cigar smoker).

To keep up with public health and JCAHO guidelines, we are now required to provide smoking cessation class and materials to ALL known smokers coming through our open heart unit... as if having your chest cracked and the associated endoscopic vein harvesting/saphenous vein grafting isn't enough of "wake up call!" For some, believe it or not, it actually isn't!

Posts: 238 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of El P
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your heart problems gentlemen. I hope you take a licking and keep on ticking.

Peace.

Posts: 2089 | Location: Internet | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post