New
Find
Notify
Tools

601 Blue
 Login/Join

Picture of SteveSur
posted
Haven't smoked them in awhile but remember them as very good. Couldn't resist the Famous sale today and ordered a box of Torpedos.

Anyone been smoking them recently?

And if so, how are they?

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3717 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aasjeff
posted Hide Post
I haven't smoked any of them since the weather got cold here, but my box of prominentes arrived today. They join the robustos already in the humidor. Sixty-five bucks from Cigarmonster was too good to pass up. They are some of my favorite smokes. Especially for $3.25 a stick.

Posts: 7 | Location: Iowa | Registered: December 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
Smoked one tonight ROTT. Amazing cigar, just like I remembered them.

(_________]]]~~

Posts: 3717 | Location: Woodbury, Connecticut | Registered: November 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for current production, but I have two boxes that are a few years old (original, pre-Rocky packaging) and I enjoy them almost as much as a Padron 1926. For me, they're rich enough to be a special occasion cigar.

Sounds like this is a real sleeper and a great value. BUY! BUY! BUY!

Posts: 4478 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
These are pre-Rocky as-well. Actually, I haven't seen the Rocky packaging in quite awhile.

(_________]]]~~

Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Extensioncord:
Can't speak for current production, but I have two boxes that are a few years old (original, pre-Rocky packaging) and I enjoy them almost as much as a Padron 1926. For me, they're rich enough to be a special occasion cigar.

You may want to check out this review of an aged 601 blue.

http://www.stogieguys.com/2012...ro-aged-2-years.html

(_________]]]~~

Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveSur:

Interesting. Someobody's gotta wake this brand back up!

BTW -- you got me curious so I started hunting through my stash and found one of my boxes, date is 9/7/09:

http://i1324.photobucket.com/a...to-3_zps9cff47e6.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/a...to-2_zpsff8b0641.jpg

Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveSur:

Interesting. Someobody's gotta wake this brand back up!

BTW -- you got me curious so I started hunting through my stash and found one of my boxes, date is 9/7/09:

http://i1324.photobucket.com/a...to-3_zps9cff47e6.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/a...to-2_zpsff8b0641.jpg

The red stripe on the bottom of the band (as shown in your photos) is the key indicator of older (pre-2011) 601 blues.

A little research discovers that the band with a red stripe has a Habano wrapper and those without have Connecticut Broadlieaf.

(_________]]]~~

posted Hide Post
which label did these come in?

Posts: 147 | Location: Somewhere out there ... really... | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveSur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bloom:
which label did these come in?

The currently shipping 601 blue wrappers are Connecticut Broadlieaf even though most web sites selling them say they're Habano. The inside of the top cover even says they're CT Broadleaf.

Their bands do not have the red stripe at the bottom.

They're still great smokes though.

One thing to note, CT Broadleaf is more expensive than Habano.

(_________]]]~~

Picture of ZaneG
posted Hide Post
I had one on Friday.

Enjoyed it.

http://i80.photobucket.com/alb...e/cigars/null-59.jpg

"Trust But Verify" - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 629 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: May 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post

Picture of Jaredles
posted Hide Post
quote:

If u ever decide you have too many or need some extra humi room I'm always willing to trade or "trade" for some of the red stripe 601 Blues.

Stogies

Posts: 404 | Location: SE Mass. | Registered: April 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the 601 blue, but has anyone tried the 601 La Bomba??

Posts: 156 | Registered: October 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gdavis67
posted Hide Post
Yes. It's a no nonsense cigar. Great core Nicaraguan flavor. Country strong. I prefer the atom.

quote:
Originally posted by oby:
Not exactly the 601 blue, but has anyone tried the 601 La Bomba??

Posts: 1127 | Location: Motor City | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anthony_joseph
posted Hide Post
There is a 10 Pack on the FreeFall @ cigar bid. 1 day left.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaredles:
quote:

If u ever decide you have too many or need some extra humi room I'm always willing to trade or "trade" for some of the red stripe 601 Blues.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Prescott, Arizona | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meatcake
posted Hide Post
never had a 601 but heard good things about them. Will have to add them to the Queue I guess.

"I smoke my cigar's like all red blooded American's do, wrapped in a Flag, with a Bald Eagle on my shoulder, a gun in my hand and a Camelbak full of Shiner Bock."

Posts: 619 | Location: Frisco, Tx | Registered: May 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MP:
I just won a box of the 601 Blue Label Toro's with the old packaging yesterday on one of the auction sites. I can't wait to get them and lay them down till the Summer.

It was funny, I was telling my brother how I had been reading this thread about these cigars, so I happened to sign onto the very same auction site and saw that a gentleman named MP from Boston had bid on it, so I figured I ought to not bid you up! :P

The next time some academics tell you how important "diversity" is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department. -- Thomas Sowell

Posts: 415 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: July 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post