Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Gourmet Hot Dogs? Who knew.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gourmet Hot Dogs? Who knew.
 Login/Join

Picture of Deadman's Point
posted
Honestly, I can't turn my nose up at doggie offerings that seem ridiculous anymore. I used to be a hot dog snob; Chicago-style or nothing.

Today I had a 'beer hot' spicy hot dog on a bun resembling Naan bread with the following toppings: peanut butter, Crackerjacks, smoked Gouda, bacon, and BBQ sauce.

After you're done pulling your head out of the trashcan from reading this, please note... it was fabulous. No lie.

...actually, all of this is a lie...

Posts: 620 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of str8dog
posted Hide Post
Once again, a train wreck saved by bacon!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---

Look away, and cast not your eyes upon me ... for I am the WorSwisherSire.

May 12/14 Trader Feedback +62

Bobby Orr wants his hometown back.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Trawna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hydragoat
posted Hide Post
Sounds more disgusting than the currywursts buried in ketchup that are served in Berlin.

At times like these I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'"

Out of one, many.

Posts: 9795 | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CasualGentleman
posted Hide Post
I keep it real with Reindeer Sausage

Posts: 362 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
A hotdog is a hotdog. A gourmet burger on the other hand, that's another story. Not a huge hotdog fan in general...much prefer knackwurst and bratwurst.

Posts: 2734 | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CasualGentleman:
I keep it real with Reindeer Sausage

Santa ain't stopping by now.

Posts: 620 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
To me a gourmet hotdog is made with Kobe Beef topped with mustard, onions and sauerkraut with a cold brew on the side.

Of course with all of those toppings it could be just a nathans and I wouldn't know the difference

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17685 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything at Doug's dwags Chicago!!!!!

"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world that he did not exist.

Posts: 966 | Location: East | Registered: October 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hebrew National grilled with onion, relish and mustard. Special treat add Tony Packo coney sauce.

Posts: 434 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Round Two:
Roasted Green Chili, sauteed Onions, fresh Tomatoes, Pinto Beans, Cheddar Cheese and Mayo

Round Three:
Mango Chutney, diced Jalapenos, Red Onions, fresh Cilantro and Mayo

Picture of grouch0
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I was fortunate enough to end up in Chicago at my brother in law's house. I was able to get a couple of Chicago Style Hot Dogs, my favorite--onions, neon green relish, dill pickle, tomato, sport peppers, mustard.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Posts: 1271 | Location: Lincoln Park, MI | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post
One popular London UK restaurant pairs champagne with hot dogs to general acclaim.

http://www.bubbledogs.co.uk/home

Certainly it would be easy for a home cook to duplicate these pairings at home and some of them, honestly, sound like an interesting and fun way to host friends for a unique cocktail party.

Posts: 4471 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My nephew brought some Hebrew National Kosher Hotdogs camping last season. Absolutely awesome!

Each dog has 25mg of Cholesterol, 6 grams of saturated fat, and adequate amount of trans fats (5 grams).

Go big or stay home.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Posts: 1003 | Location: Central PA, USA | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rook
posted Hide Post
Hot Dog with celery salt, poppy seed & ketchup.

Anyone ever experienced a Hot Dog from the hotdog stands at HomeDepot? Yum.

Posts: 152 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kps
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has hot dogs ?

Posts: 212 | Location: Middle U.S.A. | Registered: October 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rook
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kps:
Home Depot has hot dogs ?

Here in St. Louis they have a hotdog stand at one the entrance/exit. While I would not ever dare to ask whats inside their hotdogs, they sure do taste mighty fine!

Posts: 152 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jaricon
posted Hide Post
Hah here in NH if the Depot doesnt have a hotdog stand the store is dead during the day. Enough so that Lowes has them now too

"And it’s just good tobacco." Thank you Mr. Gordon Mott

Posts: 103 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether it's Home Depot, Lowe's, or a city street corner, dirty water hotdogs rule.

Posts: 237 | Location: seminole, fl, usa | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Director, Cigar Aficionado Online
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3163 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its funny- just yesterday I was grabbing the hot dog buns and thought, "I wonder how peanut butter would be on a hot dog with a toasted bun". I use peanut butter to richen soups or stews, and even to pull some of the acidic bite out of a pot of chili. In those cases only a small amount is needed- you dont want to taste it per say, rather feel it.

Posts: 533 | Registered: April 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post