Find
Notify
Tools

Mission: Bourbon
 Login/Join

Picture of Shlomo
posted Hide Post
It would seem that way...lol

Proud member of the International Brotherhood of people who contributed nothing but wasted their whole lifetime grumbling and criticizing on things they do not remotely understand.

Posts: 9081 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: February 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZaneG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shlomo:

I kinda miss him. Nothing is more entertaining than a cRaZy pErSoN.

"Trust But Verify" - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 629 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: May 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZaneG:
quote:
Originally posted by Shlomo:

I kinda miss him. Nothing is more entertaining than a cRaZy pErSoN.

I didn't mind his entertainment, but I did find some of his advice & reasoning behind said advice a disservice. Particularly to folks that may know no better but genuinely would like to.

That said, you have to admire someone that get's trounced in the mud with evidence & facts but still get's up yelling "I'm winning". #CharlieSheenAward

£

Posts: 1807 | Location: San Francisco CA | Registered: June 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a somewhat different taste in Bourbon, Firefly Distillery of Charleston, SC is now producing Sweet Tea Bourbon. Buffalo Trace Bourbon mixed with Black Tea steepings from the Charleston Tea Plantation, the US's only Tea Plantation.

Its not the pure aged bourbon many like, and some would turn their nose up at it. But it is a unique taste and goes well with a nice everyday cigar.

-----
Olc é in aice leis. Faigh do chlaíomh. Maraigh é. Tóg an t-ór.

Posts: 526 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
I found an unopened bottle of Old Grandad
from 1960 in my dads house.
Should be nicely aged by now. Smile

Posts: 2162 | Location: USA | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*NOTE: It does not "age" after it is bottled. Unless of course we count potential evaporation as "aging".

£

Posts: 1807 | Location: San Francisco CA | Registered: June 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laphoraig:
*NOTE: It does not "age" after it is bottled. Unless of course we count potential evaporation as "aging".

Thats true, it dosnt age, but we opened a bottle of 197? something Grandad, and it had mellowed beyond belief. It drank like the nectar of the G-ds.

Posts: 2162 | Location: USA | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maven:

Thats true, it dosnt age, but we opened a bottle of 197? something Grandad, and it had mellowed beyond belief. It drank like the nectar of the G-ds.

frank??? Confused

" It had mellowed beyond belief " ~ O.K. I'll bite. It mellowed compared to what? It's former, less "mellow" self?? What measurement are you using to qualify such a statement?

£

Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

frank??? Confused

" It had mellowed beyond belief " ~ O.K. I'll bite. It mellowed compared to what? It's former, less "mellow" self?? What measurement are you using to qualify such a statement?

Who`s frank?

I took it to the local B&M where i smoke and watch sports. I poured some 10 people a drink and we all were amazed how smooth and tasty it was.
Do you drink 40 and 50 year old bourbon often.
I sure as hell dont, it was the 1st time for all of us, it was freekin awesome.
I also have 6 more bottles of various distilled liquids, 30 to 50 yrs old, my dad just never got to open them. As his friends died off, he drank less and less. He`s 92 now, and i will drink some of it with him and family.

Picture of Shlomo
posted Hide Post
There is no reason why bourbon would "age" or get more mellow once poured into a glass bottle. Unless there is a whole new way of "aging" spirits that I have never heard of....?

A bottle of any bourbon aged 8 yrs from 1982 is an 8 yr old bourbon in a 30 yr old bottle. Not a 38 yr old bourbon.

Proud member of the International Brotherhood of people who contributed nothing but wasted their whole lifetime grumbling and criticizing on things they do not remotely understand.

Posts: 9081 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: February 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

frank??? Confused

That would certainly be a surprise.

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3477 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I don't drink 40-50 year old bourbon *often*. That said, rather than beat around the mulberry bush ala frankD, I have drunk plenty of American whiskey from the 50s, 60s', 70's, - you probably get the idea.

That part behind us, maybe what you mean is the whiskey from that era or the whiskey bottled as Old Grandad (then) tastes mellower than Old Grandad or standard bottles of bourbon (today)?

The underlying point is you nor I were drinking 40,50, 60 year old whiskey. The whiskey was bottled that many years ago, but as Shlomo indicated, whatever the bottle entry age was - that is what the whiskey's age will always remain.

You can't turn an 8 year old whiskey into a 60 year old whiskey by sitting on the bottle 52 years.

£

Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
If wine and cigars age so well, why dosnt
hard liquor?
I dont know much about drink, i dont drink, so to speak.

Picture of Shlomo
posted Hide Post
General rule of thumb is that the higher the alcohol content the less likely it is to react to the oxidation. 197 proof Ol' Grandad would not react with the air inside the bottle nearly as much as a wine with 12% abv. I have heard many people say that a 30 year old bottle of Jack Daniels tastes better than a bottle purchased at the store today and they attribute this to the "ageing" process, but as was discussed in this thread with FrankD ad nauseum is that the ingredients and mixing process used back then were slightly different in quality and exact quantity than now. That, imho, is why there are taste differences between older bottlings as opposed to some newer versions.

Just mho, and I'm sure Laphoraig can shed more light on this.

Picture of Mr. Magicoa
posted Hide Post
George T. Stagg.

Posts: 1638 | Registered: March 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham T.
posted Hide Post
'bout to pop open a bottle of Weller 12 year tonight, I hear good things about it. I want to see how it compares to Woodford, my go-to bourbon of choice.

"Only those afraid of the truth seek to silence debate, intimidate those with whom they disagree, or slander their ideological counterparts"

Posts: 1729 | Location: Temecula, CA | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
Blantons anyone? Yes please.

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3477 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Big Sky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frankD:

shlomo

EMS

just remember the bottle is EMPTY !

sorry

puff

puff

frankD

Well now we know what FrankD has been up to.

Found himself a real stash of some rare old Bottled in Bond, and got himself lost in it. lol. You go Frank.

One whisky is just ok. Two whiskies are too many. Three whiskies are not enough....

Posts: 1696 | Location: MT | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul
posted Hide Post
Evan Williams as my every day Bourbon, Wild Turkey Rare Breed for those special occasions.

"Individuals Play The Game,
Teams Win Championships"

Posts: 1710 | Location: valrico,fl | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol @ Big Sky

quote:
these dolts are all the same - have them put their MONEY where their MOUTH is though and they fly away like the pigeons that they really are

Like I said, this guy was talking to... & about himself all along.

quote:
Originally posted by frankD:

I AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE (it's not my style -

puff

puff

frankD

_________

Liar. I see he finally left, just like he was told to do.

Wink

£