New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belgian style beer
 Login/Join

Picture of dangolf18
posted
Have to ask the question: why is is it I always get a strong hint of soy-sauce in Belgian style beers? I'm drinking a Three Philosophers Quadruple and it honestly tastes so much like soy-sauce. It's rated 95-100 on some online beer sites. I can't justify such a high rating for something that tastes like soy sauce. Anybody find Belgian style beers to be enjoyable?

Posts: 2733 | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of oliverdst
posted Hide Post
I naver had this beer but others I had werent soy-sauced.
Try Rochefort or any trappist next time and let me know what you think, ok?

Posts: 261 | Location: Brazil | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
Thanks Oliver. I'll let you know. I always found "soy sauce" in Maredsous which I believe is a trappist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dangolf18,

Picture of oliverdst
posted Hide Post
I think there are just 8 (or were 8 and now are 9) beers that are really trappist. There are some strict rules to be considered trappist. Here there are info about them http://www.trappistbeer.net/trappist_portalEN.htm but google and you will find much more.

Posts: 261 | Location: Brazil | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SnakeDoctor
posted Hide Post
I know what your talking about. I even get that soy-sauce taste when Im drinking a Stella. Still one of my favourites.

Posts: 438 | Location: Canada | Registered: October 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
A Stella?? Huh??

posted Hide Post
For mine, Belgian beers are an acquired taste.

I haven't acquired it yet. And my God, I have tried!

Cheers
PC

Posts: 1019 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: March 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SnakeDoctor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dangolf18:
A Stella?? Huh??

Wink

Posts: 438 | Location: Canada | Registered: October 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many people mention stouts having "soy sauce" characteristics. I don't think the issue is specifically limited to or related to "Belgian style".

Purely a guess, but I believe soy sauce is fermented & I wanna say has roasted grain too. I might be off - I'm no soy sauce connoisseur, but if that is correct, surely some of that process sounds familiar with regards to beer production - no?

£

Posts: 1796 | Location: San Francisco CA | Registered: June 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I'd add though for the OP - in my limited experience, most often, once a person makes a statement like: " I always get a strong hint of soy-sauce in Belgian style beers. " ~ the negative psychological imprint is already there & it's probably pointless/impossible to try to alter the perception. Going forward, you might just stay away from Belgian style. jmho

£

Posts: 1796 | Location: San Francisco CA | Registered: June 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laphoraig:
One thing I'd add though for the OP - in my limited experience, most often, once a person makes a statement like: " I always get a strong hint of soy-sauce in Belgian style beers. " ~ the negative psychological imprint is already there & it's probably pointless/impossible to try to alter the perception. Going forward, you might just stay away from Belgian style. jmho

Or put it on your Chow Main

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17589 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
Are you a troll?

quote:
Originally posted by SnakeDoctor:
quote:
A Stella?? Huh??

Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't justify such a high rating for something that tastes like soy sauce.

What do you have against soy sauce?

Carthago delenda est

Posts: 1511 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: August 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you a troll ?

Do you, honestly, know of one that has ever answered that Q, honestly?

£

Picture of SnakeDoctor
posted Hide Post
Dan I can't tell if you're joking or not lol. But I certainly hope I'm not. Come on....is Stella Artois that bad??? It's always been a staple beer for me.

quote:
Are you a troll?

quote:
Originally posted by SnakeDoctor:
quote:
A Stella?? Huh??

Wink

Associate Editor, Cigar Aficionado
Picture of Gregory Mottola
posted Hide Post
I'd understand drinking Belgian-style beers if real Belgian beers were not available. But they are. I'm a Maredsous Brune guy myself.

Posts: 2165 | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory Mottola:
I'd understand drinking Belgian-style beers if real Belgian beers were not available. But they are. I'm a Maredsous Brune guy myself.

Unibroue makes some good Belgian style beers that have been known to fool an expert here and there.

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned about Belgians and Belgian styles (read that as "all good beers" lol) here in Philly at the feet of Kornazoo and Racer. Tripel Karmeliet, La Fin Du Monde, St. Bernardus, Duval, Brooklyn Local 1, Golden Monkey, Old Horizontal, Maredsous, were all on the list with countless others. I'm a beer snob because of them! Smile

Posts: 51 | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cigarstylerob:
I learned about Belgians and Belgian styles (read that as "all good beers" lol) here in Philly at the feet of Kornazoo and Racer.

What the heck ever happened to Tim?

£

posted Hide Post
Laphoraig? Is that you Raymond?

Posts: 51 | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post