Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Where can I buy cigars in Punta Cana, DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where can I buy cigars in Punta Cana, DR
 Login/Join

Picture of swb
posted
I travel quite often and have made several trips to Cuba and have filled several of my humidors with top Cuban cigars (except the newer behike 52, which I hope try soon). However, I have just purchased another humidore which I want to fill with top Dominican cigars. I will be traveling to Punta Cana in april staying at the majestic elegance, elegance club section and would like to know any locations near there that I can purchase authentic top Dominican cigars.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikem2780
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering the same, but I'm traveling to Paradisus Punta Cana. From everything I've read, unless you go on a factory tour, buying authentic Dominicans is not a good idea there. Something about their trade restrictions where all the big name cigars are made in duty free zone and have to be exported then re-imported before they can be sold on the island, causing the prices to go thru the roof. Disappointing to say the least and hopefully not true, but it seems to be the universal opinion.

Posts: 2265 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of littoines
posted Hide Post
It's tough to get top Dominicans in DR because most of the factories are in a free trade zone. Meaning they would have to export them and then import them in able to sell.
Your best bet is to try and go to the La Aurora factory. I believe they have tours and you can purchase right there.
The DR is loaded with fakes, CC's as well as Opus X and other top Dominicans.
When traveling to places like this your best to bring your own.

Posts: 6372 | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikem2780
posted Hide Post
That seems to be the consensus opinion. So disappointing though. When we first booked our trip I had dreams of sitting on a white sand beach, a glass of scotch in my hand, and freshly rolled premium stick burning. Now I guess I'll have to bring the same ol' cigars I burn at home. Maybe I'll order something new to take and try...

Posts: 2265 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MUliano
posted Hide Post
I'm bring to PC when i go in 2 weeks in my small herf:
1- MOW Armada
2- Opus X XXX
3- La Aroma De Cuba Robusto
4- Ashton VSG Eclipse
5- Olive V Maduro

"If I learned one thing from this, NEVER trust a tortoise smuggler." -anthony_joseph

Posts: 689 | Location: Queens, NY | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swb
posted Hide Post
I would love to take the tour but I have a few questions, the first is how would I get there from my resort and the second is that I was wondering if you could give me a complete list of cigars available to be purchased at this location, and are they only the cigars produced at this factory ? I appreciate any help with this.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of str8dog
posted Hide Post
Juan, I can buy Mi Dominicana Churchills online for $155.00USD for a box of 20. How do your factory prices compare?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---

Look away, and cast not your eyes upon me ... for I am the WorSwisherSire.

May 12/14 Trader Feedback +62

Bobby Orr wants his hometown back.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Trawna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Juan how do we get a hold of you from the resort if we want to take the tour?

Posts: 57 | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Punta Cana on the 16th. The resort I stayed at the Rio Palace had a cigar store next to the pool on the way to the other Rio resorts. The store had authentic Dominican and Cuban cigars.
Every other night in the court yard they had a cigar vendor who would give me a Cuban Mont #2 to entice me to buy a box of cigars. Just about lost a long smoking cigars 24/7 for 8 days, but had an excellent time living large at the palace.

Posts: 6 | Registered: August 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Juan, I'll be at majestic elegance between May14-21. Is it ok if I book about a week ahead of arriving?
You said I would need to arrange a cab ride. How do I find someone reliable to drive me over there and back?

Posts: 57 | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JuanCPena:
Manul, sure, feel free to book whenever you please. We will have our own transportation from Punta Cana by that time. Please make sure to add the comment when you book the tour.

Oh I think got perfect person I want to transport some goods at punta first time, and your help support me lot.

roadfreight

Posts: 3 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend is living in punta for last 2 weeks and he is a chain smokers. And he don't know for where to buy cigars. Can any one tell me any online store. Thanks.

buy cigars

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flagrant
posted Hide Post
I went to punts Cana paradisus, and took a factory tour of Don Lucas it was a fun trip, they picked us at the resort, it was a 10 min ride, they asked us what type of cigar we usually smoke, and handed us stoogies instantly. We lit up while watching them roll cigars showed us everything from leaf to shelf. They had a full walkin humidor at retail, I bought a box of there full bodied Don Lucas brand, that cigar was amazing. Then they drove us back.... Whole trip took under 3 hours...

Oh, no, no, no. We can’t have you smoking this nasty thing in here. Do you have any idea the effect this cigar will have on my hydrangeas?

Al Capone: Do you have any idea the effect this fist will have on your face?

Posts: 383 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@JuanCPena Im ging to be there in a week. Do you have transportation to Excellence resort?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: October 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post