Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Good liquor to introduce my self to sipping liqours...?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good liquor to introduce my self to sipping liqours...?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a good liquor to sip on. Something that some one with little experience could enjoy. I don't particulary like vodka or tequilla(too much of that in my college days)

I'd really like something smooth thats not going to make me red in the face.

I was served bourbon on the rocks by an old boss and didn't mind that too much but it was a little harsh to my unseasoned taste buds. I've also sipped on a flavored rum sometime with low alchohal content wich was enjoyable but not enough zing for me.

I'll say that brandy interests me and i have been looking at that.

So any suggestions on something good to start with and how its best served.

Also, budget is a big factor.

Posts: 15 | Registered: June 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here are what I like with my smokes.

Tawny Port
Tia Maria
Rum
Maker's Mark
Coffee w/ Kremore & Brandy

Have yet to try other Bourbons & brandy straight.

---------------------------------------------------------
"There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar."
-- Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Posts: 392 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tequila that is 100% blue Agave and aged is smooth.... Also maybe a nice Scotch..I like Johnny Walker Black Label for a Blended.... and try some of the Single Malts... they can be very Floral and oily, as to not burn or turn you red. Try a nice cognac also that was always enjoyable when I bought the bottles...and not as harsh as Brandy in my opinion... Sulli

Posts: 12 | Location: United States | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSprizzle
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ En4cer on the Tawny Ports... try the Bodegas Osborne Tawny Port. it's about 10 bucks and it's a great port for the value.

"Life is like a pile of crap; most of the time it stinks and after a while it gets really hard."

Posts: 1797 | Location: Behind you! | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of masher
posted Hide Post
Hey Ripper

I have just posted this in reply to someone else and I don't necessarily want to be redundant, but I am finding The Dalmore scotch to be very enjoyable and very smooth -- and for a price lower than most premium scotches. I was really impressed.

In fact my buddy came over this weekend for a cigar and a drink. I poured him a glass and in his own words: "Man, this is smooth!"

So, you can impress your friends too. Big Grin

~ masher

B.A.S.E. #0004 <(O)>

Posts: 267 | Location: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Single Malt Scotch.
Try some Highland Park.
ADB

Posts: 61 | Location: Woodcliff Lake, NJ, USA | Registered: October 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Highland Park is your quintessential scotch-taste; A robust, sweet flavor that shows power and ends smooth.

One of my favs is Lagavulin. It hovers around $60 per bottle.

Also look into Bookers. That is definately a power-house bourbon, but surprisingly smooth given the high level of alcohol.

Prost,
Sox

Posts: 509 | Location: California, United States | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taylor Fladgate 10 year Tawny is awesome for 20 bux. The 20 YEar is even better but twice the price.

Posts: 450 | Location: Northern NJ | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies guys. i'll definetly look into some of them.

Another question, has any one had Jack daniels on the rocks? how was that?

posted Hide Post
Ripper, May I suggest you go to your local liquer store. Look over the selection of the mini bottles. Buy one or two of everything that looks interesting. Then start sampling. You will soon find out what you like. That is what is important. Some of the suggestion given here are aquired tastes. The most important thing is enjoy. You should be past your days a binge drinking and into the enjoyment of fine spirts.

S.N.O.B. # 1002
On the road again,I just can't wait to get on the road again!

Posts: 1155 | Location: Chesapeake, Va | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like single malt scotch
also like Jonny Walker black label nice blended
Jack Danials
Jim Beam black 8 yr.
all are really nice, I never put ice or water in my drinks, it's like putting milk in coffee spoils the taste for me, but that's just my taste.

A few months ago i went into my local cigar store, and an American guy had brought them a couple of bottles of Knob Creek 9yr Bourbon, now that was very very nice, looked for it over here, but could not find it. I guess that along with some JR's has to go on the shopping list for my next trip to NYC

Posts: 59 | Location: london, england | Registered: September 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The info on Tawny ports is mostly right on. If you want a hard drink to sip, check out Appleton's VX blended rum--buttery and smooth straight or on the rocks. About $15-$20 per bottle.

Posts: 29 | Location: Olympia USA | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the_stogemiester
posted Hide Post
Just get a bottle of LTD or Old Crow! Eek
Do they still make that stuff? Wink

B.A.S.E #0000 <(o)>
C.L.A.S.P. #0000
P.F.M.

Posts: 4793 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Southern Comfort.

==============================
"Have you got a helmet?"asks Wyatt. "Oh,oh iv`e got a helmet,I`ve got a beauty".

Posts: 1476 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bub838
posted Hide Post
Oh..they definatly still make old crow. one of my friends loves that stuff.

Posts: 1157 | Location: Ferndale, MI | Registered: October 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the_stogemiester
posted Hide Post
That stuff is ROTGUT man!

B.A.S.E #0000 <(o)>
C.L.A.S.P. #0000
P.F.M.

Posts: 4793 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tel
posted Hide Post
Be careful sippin the finer stuf like Makers, and Knobb Creek, you'll find yourself sippin more which can lead to slurred speach. With the cheaper stuf like Jack and Jim, you"ll sip less but you'll feal like hell the next day.

Posts: 772 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great info guys. i think i am gonna go down to the liqour store tomorrow and get a couple of samplers as suggested.

And i think i'm gonna get a 750 mil bottle of makers mark. I have read alot of good stuff on it.

SPEAKING of old crow. that was the bourbon that i drank with my boss! as soon as i heard the name it rang a bell.

Picture of Tel
posted Hide Post
Fire your boss and get the Makers Wink

Posts: 772 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vinny O
posted Hide Post
Tom Has a great idea, start off with the mini bottles till you find something you like, try an assortment
Chamboard
Crown Royal
Grand Marnier
Brandy/Cognac/Armagnac
Amenretto
Sambuca
Drambuie ( one of my favorites )
Frangelicia ( ditto)
Madori Melon
& all the single malt scotches that you can find !!!
Enjoy, Vince

S.N.O.B.1012 News from the dining room table, <br> " Pass the gravy please"</br> vince@access995.com

Posts: 1619 | Location: 159 Knobvue Drive, Freedom Pa 15042 | Registered: July 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post