Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling to Belize
 Login/Join

posted
Visiting Belize (flying in to capitol and then traveling past Corozal City) next week and wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations on places on can pick up cigars. My understanding is that there is a duty free shop in the airport which may or may not have smokes. I am packing my travel humidor but was looking for a decent local shop. Any suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr. Wu
posted Hide Post
Never been but quickly found this shop: Barrier Reef Drive (Front Street)
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Tuesday thru Saturday, 11-6

"Even on a bad night a Steely Dan show puts more musicality and skill on display than pretty much any band."

Posts: 5719 | Location: New England | Registered: May 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Belize, and the only source of "the real deal" is on Ambergris Caye. Lots of fakes everywhere else. RASS were $9.50 recently...more reasonable than Mexico.

Posts: 42 | Location: Aqui | Registered: May 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Looking forward to flying over to San Pedro and seeing what they have. There is a Rum, Tobacco & Coffee place that is open 7 days a week and has a humidor.

posted Hide Post
I found two places on San Pedro - one on Middle Street near the Ice Factory and bought two Cohibas that on closer inspection looked like (and tasted like) fakes. The native Belize brand ($11 a stick) was mediocre. There was another shop on Barrier Reef but I did not purchase any there. Prices seemed high. Non existent selection of other cigars and glad that I had packed my own for the trip down.

posted Hide Post
I know this is thread that's several years old, but I recently visited Belize and thought I might have something to add for anyone planning a first time trip or a repeat visit that hasn't been in a while.

There is a duty free shop in the Belize City International Airport, they were selling counterfeit Cohibas, the ones with the glass top box.

Also beware of the bodegas. Almost every single one sells the same counterfeit Cohibas in the glass top box or the glass tubes. No real Cohiba comes packaged this way.

There is a reputable place in San Pedro, on Ambergris Caye, called Havana cigar. They have a well stocked walk in humador. if your planning a trip, they have a Facebook page. I purchased four Bolivars there, They were $15-$19 each and very, very good. They also have a bar stocked with some fine Scotch Whiskey.

I hope this post reaches someone who may be traveling to Belize. it's a fun adventure there.

My designation is Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One, but you may call me Seven of Nine.

Posts: 94 | Registered: December 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of super charged
posted Hide Post
Belize was one of the ports of call on a Carnival cruise my family and I were on. Let me tell you, we did not feel safe there as the locals looked at us like a shark looks at chum. My daughter was still a baby, and the wife and I agreed this place was not for us. We got back on the cruise ship and skipped that place. Don't really care to ever go back.
quote:
Originally posted by Unimatrix01:
I know this is thread that's several years old, but I recently visited Belize and thought I might have something to add for anyone planning a first time trip or a repeat visit that hasn't been in a while.

There is a duty free shop in the Belize City International Airport, they were selling counterfeit Cohibas, the ones with the glass top box.

Also beware of the bodegas. Almost every single one sells the same counterfeit Cohibas in the glass top box or the glass tubes. No real Cohiba comes packaged this way.

There is a reputable place in San Pedro, on Ambergris Caye, called Havana cigar. They have a well stocked walk in humador. if your planning a trip, they have a Facebook page. I purchased four Bolivars there, They were $15-$19 each and very, very good. They also have a bar stocked with some fine Scotch Whiskey.

I hope this post reaches someone who may be traveling to Belize. it's a fun adventure there.

Posts: 486 | Location: car congested NoVA | Registered: May 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SAXON9075
posted Hide Post
I went there on a live aboard dive cruise a few years ago. they picked us up at the airport, put us in a bus with grates on the window and stopped at a supermarket with a shotgun toting guard at the entrance. They told us do not leave the frounds of the hotel where the boat picked us up.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. -- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 6280 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAXON9075:
I went there on a live aboard dive cruise a few years ago. they picked us up at the airport, put us in a bus with grates on the window and stopped at a supermarket with a shotgun toting guard at the entrance. They told us do not leave the frounds of the hotel where the boat picked us up.

We stayed at the Captain Morgan Retreat which is about 2 miles north of downtown San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Our first order of business was to take the water taxi to downtown and find a reputable place to rent a golf cart for the week. It didn't take long before someone on the street solicited us for just such a thing and we negotiated right there on the spot. they started high at $400US for the week, we talked them down to $200US.

Once we had the cart we drove all over, parked it at the airport when we went inland and left it there all day (locked up of course). We never once felt unsafe in San Pedro day or night.

That being said, we never left the bounds of the Belize City Municipal airstrip without our guide, and if you're going to any kind of excision site like cave tubing, zip-lining, Mayan Ruin site, or Spelunking site, you MUST have a guide. If you're not going there on cruise ship, pay for a private tour because you do not have to be on a timeline beyond catching your plane back. You're guide will have time to show you much more than you'll ever get on a cruise ship tour. We always say the cruise ship groups come in, the guide would say "look over here, look over there, okay, let's go."

If you're spending a full week there, take a day to relax and lounge around the pool in between excursions, especially the ATM/Crystal Maiden tour because you will be bit tired the next day.

We went in August during lobster season. what this means is, if you like lobster, you'll eat more lobster in one week than you will for the rest of your life. The other great seafood season is Conch season. You can fish on or off the reef year round and fishing guides are literally everywhere.

Then there's diving. I'm not a diver, but this is one of the best dive areas in the world with the second largest barrier reef in the world.

There are great places to eat, our favorite spot for food was Fido's in downtown San Pedro, our favorite watering hole was Palapa's, a two story pier with the bar on the second floor, general seating on the first, and you can even chill in a tube where they will bring you drinks without ever getting out of your tube.

There are many more things to do in Belize than we did. it would take weeks to see and do everything, it's definitely worth a visit, I recommend a budget of about $5000-6000 including Airfare and hotel stay. perhaps another $1000 if you want to stay in a bit nicer resort.

My designation is Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One, but you may call me Seven of Nine.

Posts: 94 | Registered: December 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post