Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Cigar Country Shop in Punta Cana?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cigar Country Shop in Punta Cana?
 Login/Join

Picture of jazzmonkey
posted
Going to Punta Cana at the Riu Palace.

Anyone ever been there or at the factory?

Cigar Country Shop
Palma Real Shopping Village
Bavaro, Dominican Republic

Thank you.

Posts: 297 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: August 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deadman's Point
posted Hide Post
Most (if not all) of the CCs I saw in the DR were of questionable origin, but the native sticks seemed to be a good deal cheaper than stateside. There were rollers everywhere so the experience was pretty cool. I'd suggest brushing up on your spanish and heading in to Santa Domingo for the best deals, best sightseeing, and best cultural experience. Stay away from the port towns and neighborhood markets as they tend to be a bit rough.

...actually, all of this is a lie...

Posts: 620 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jazzmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks, this is a store from this company;

Las Palmas Cigar Co.
http://www.laspalmascigar.com

Aren't they reputable? All they have are dominican cigars.

Thanks again

Posts: 297 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: August 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any experiences with them so I can't comment, sorry.

Posts: 620 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were there and the resort is very nice. For the cigar store all the Cubans were fake and the Fuente Opus were also fake. I didnt look at anything else. Take your own when visiting the Dominican is the general rule. You could check to see if there is a LCDH in Punta Cana

Posts: 762 | Location: Stratford Ontario | Registered: December 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jazzmonkey
posted Hide Post
If there's no legit brand cigars, anyone knows a good local roller? Close to the Riu Palace.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
I believe coach and I are stating be skeptical of the ultra premium sticks and CCs. I suspect the regular DR lines would be fine, but neither of us can authoritatively say they're good to go since we weren't looking at those.

posted Hide Post
Hey Jazzmonkey, why dont you book the factory tour then you will be sure you are getting the real deal buying at the factory.

Posts: 762 | Location: Stratford Ontario | Registered: December 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jazzmonkey
posted Hide Post
@coach. I might do that. I just need to check, where they're located and which factory I can tour.

I'm not looking for Cubans, only dominicans. Cubans I can get at home, where as dominican cigars are nowhere to be found. And when you do find some they're way overprice.

I usually go to Barclay-Rex in NY to get the nice dominicans. Last time I was able to get 20 of the 25 top 25 best 2011 cigars. I'm in no way expecting that in the DR, but if I can bring 100 nice DRC, I'd be happy.

I'm not expecting Opus X, limited editions of x or y brands, but just a nice smoke to bring back and fill my humidor.

Thanks for all your posts.

Picture of Squarehead
posted Hide Post
Look for Casals,I bought several boxes over the years.They're very nice smokes.

"The world is a book,those who don't travel read only one page",St.Augustine

Posts: 2027 | Location: Brantford,Ontario | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a ,link to one I found,there is also a small Don Lucas factory in PC that does factory tours with free pickup and drop off at all hotel.
I'm heading to Punta Cana Oct9/12 for a week .I can let you know what I find out when I get back.

http://www.cigarsjewlerypuntacana.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: brassie00,

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely by the mouth ,but with the hands,the eyes and with the spirit." Zino Davidoff

Posts: 819 | Location: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: April 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jazzmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brassie00:
Here's a ,link to one I found,there is also a small Don Lucas factory in PC that does factory tours with free pickup and drop off at all hotel.
I'm heading to Punta Cana Oct9/12 for a week .I can let you know what I find out when I get back.

http://www.cigarsjewlerypuntacana.com/

Thanks, can't wait to read about it. Have a nice vacation.

posted Hide Post
I too will be heading to Punta Cana next month. Have been there many times. I will be taking my own cigars. However this trip I am going to take the 1 hour trip to La Romana to see the new La Flor Dominicana factory which has a retail store that carries many different genuine Dominican cigars. I have been to the Don Lucas factory and it is not a bad little spot. They run a tour and also have a retail store with other brands besides their own. Free pickup and return from your hotel.Hope this helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coach,

Picture of jazzmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coach:
I too will be heading to Punta Cana next month. Have been there many times. I will be taking my own cigars. However this trip I am going to take the 1 hour trip to La Romana to see the new La Flor Dominicana factory which has a retail store that carries many different genuine Dominican cigars. I have been to the Don Lucas factory and it is not a bad little spot. They run a tour and also have a retail store with other brands besides their own. Free pickup and return from your hotel.Hope this helps.

Thanks yes it does. I was able to find the email to contact them in their catalog. Hope it's not too far from the Riu. Let me know when you get back, would love to find out how it was.

Thanks, enjoy the DR..

posted Hide Post
I stayed and got married at the Riu Palace...and can't wait to get back.

I never went on a cigar factory tour...But I was able to get Cuban cigars at the resort...There is a gift shop that sold them in the lobby and a cigar shop between the Palace and the the other Riu's resorts and in the lobby.

I did enjoy the fake Cuban cigars (I'm sure Dominican) I bought on the beach. Nearly lost a lung during the 10 days I was there...Enjoying them.

Posts: 6 | Registered: August 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the DR(Now Larimar,Bavaro beach) Did the factory tour at Don Lucas about 10 minutes away.Small factory only 8 rollers,nice short trip .Lots of cigars to choose from including CC's ($650 for 25 Coros)wow
Found all the cigars to be more exspensive than I can buy them for in Canada

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely by the mouth ,but with the hands,the eyes and with the spirit." Zino Davidoff

Posts: 819 | Location: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: April 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jazzmonkey
posted Hide Post
Are the Don Lucas also expensive? Did you try them, if so can you tell me about them?.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jazzmonkey:
Are the Don Lucas also expensive? Did you try them, if so can you tell me about them?.

Thanks.

The Don Lucas I smoked at the factory ( freebie) was the only Robusto they make for Don Lucas. It was a Maduro ( fresh right from the table ),being at the full end of the scale and quite strong.Just the way I like it.
I only bought 5 DL Robustos that were $10 ea. Most of the DL's range from $8-$12. They have medium size selection of NC and a small selection of real (yes real)CC's although they are priced out of this world.