Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Is it legal to eat Penguin?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it legal to eat Penguin?
 Login/Join

Picture of Fat Weed Esq
posted
I asked this in another thread, but this deserves its own thread. Can you eat Penguin? I say it should be legal (they are not endangered) but my daughters disagree. If it is legal, where can I get it?

Be your word, it's all you really own.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Southern California | Registered: August 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KKL
posted Hide Post
Who the hell would want to?

Posts: 8470 | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashman
posted Hide Post
Why eat penguin? Why not, just out of curiosity. But it won't happen. Why? Because all species of penguins are protected, you can't get one legally. Even if you come to Antarctica and bring one home as a souvenir, it's plain illegal.

However, explorers and such have eaten penguins as a means of survival. And there is also a small black market in Asia. Here are observations :

"Penguins are very fat, so a method that melts the fat off is better, like a roast. The blood is very rich in oxygen so the meat turns an un-appetizing dark as it cooks. The breast can make decent steaks. The eggs can be good for doing an omelet, you need to remove some of the white of the egg otherwise it's not tasty enough; but the overall taste is the same than a normal omelet."

"Government is the Entertainment Division of the military-industrial complex."
--FZ too

Posts: 5743 | Location: St-Lambert, Quebec | Registered: June 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of did64
posted Hide Post
Best question ever. But it's giving me ideas- I'm very tempted to go to the zoo and slaughter a penguin just so that I can feast on its innards.

Penguin scratchings anyone?

"You want WHAT on the fu<king ceiling?" -
Michelangelo, 1566

Posts: 989 | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fat Weed Esq
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashman:
Why eat penguin? Why not, just out of curiosity. But it won't happen. Why? Because all species of penguins are protected, you can't get one legally. Even if you come to Antarctica and bring one home as a souvenir, it's plain illegal.

However, explorers and such have eaten penguins as a means of survival. And there is also a small black market in Asia. Here are observations :

"Penguins are very fat, so a method that melts the fat off is better, like a roast. The blood is very rich in oxygen so the meat turns an un-appetizing dark as it cooks. The breast can make decent steaks. The eggs can be good for doing an omelet, you need to remove some of the white of the egg otherwise it's not tasty enough; but the overall taste is the same than a normal omelet."

Why are they protected? There are a lot of them.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Southern California | Registered: August 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cromag
posted Hide Post
Broiled penguin would make a fine Thanksgiving dinner, though I might opt for the crown roast of seal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cromag,

Like an eagle protects his nest
For you I'll do my best
Stand by you like a tree
Dare anybody to try and move me

Posts: 2234 | Registered: September 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fat Weed Esq
posted Hide Post
How about Penguin jerky? This would take care of the excess fat.

Picture of Stogie Mcgee
posted Hide Post
These are the best Penguins for eating.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/WalkingRobots/tabi...ductName,ProductName

"Barack Obama did not inherit a mess. He leads a mess. He inherited the United States of America, where anything is possible."

"What do Obama and God have in common? How do they differ? God does not think he's Obama."

Posts: 334 | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Weed Esq:
Why are they protected? There are a lot of them.

It seems that several species are actually threatened or endangered (partly because of climate change), such as : southern rockhopper penguin (Eudyptes chrysocome), northern rockhopper penguin (Eudyptes moseleyi (E. chrysocome moseleyi), fiordland crested penguin (Eudyptes pachyrhynchus), snares crested penguin (Eudypes robustus), erect-crested penguin (Eudyptes schlegeli), white-flippered penguin (Eudyptula albosignata, (E. minor albosignata), yellow-eyed penguin (Megadyptes antipodes), African penguin (Spheniscus demerus), and Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus humboldti).

--FZ too

Posts: 5743 | Location: St-Lambert, Quebec | Registered: June 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SHEEPSHEAD BAY
posted Hide Post
What kind of Penguin was Happy Feet?

"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God"
-Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of freedom must be nurtured from time to time with the blood of its patriots"
-Thomas Jefferson

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty; When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7113 | Location: Reggio di Calabria, Italy / New York United States | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashman
posted Hide Post
The main character is a young Emperor Penguin.

But the movie also features Adelie Penguins and a Rockhopper Penguin.

--FZ too

posted Hide Post
Thanks Flashman.
That movie is one of my all time favorite Penguin Flicks.

-Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of freedom must be nurtured from time to time with the blood of its patriots"
-Thomas Jefferson

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty; When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7113 | Location: Reggio di Calabria, Italy / New York United States | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
I have eaten Duck, Goose and Phesant that were all shot wild.

The aquatic birds both had a very fishy flavor, because of their diet and the phesant tasted very gamey.

When I have had farm raised duck, goose, phesant or quail they were quite tasty.

I would think that penguin would taste quite fishy

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17691 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of minalpharetta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Docbarry:

The aquatic birds both had a very fishy flavor, because of their diet and the phesant tasted very gamey.

When I have had farm raised duck, goose, phesant or quail they were quite tasty.

You're killin' me, Doc! Gamebirds will taste... like game if what you're used to is store-bought birds (essentially what farm-raised birds are) and supermarket food generally.

It's kind of like handing one of your Opus to somebody who has been smoking Macanudos their whole life and enjoying them.

Nothing wrong with preferring a non-game bird taste, though, just as there is nothing wrong with somebody preferring fairly bland cigars. What you like is what you like.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins." (H.L. Mencken)

Posts: 2353 | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bamawrx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by minalpharetta:
quote:

You're killin' me, Doc! Gamebirds will taste... like game if what you're used to is store-bought birds (essentially what farm-raised birds are) and supermarket food generally.

It's kind of like handing one of your Opus to somebody who has been smoking Macanudos their whole life and enjoying them.

Nothing wrong with preferring a non-game bird taste, though, just as there is nothing wrong with somebody preferring fairly bland cigars. What you like is what you like.

minalpharetta
What is your avatar photo? I can't quite make it out. Is it a steeler photo?

Posts: 626 | Location: Alabama | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of minalpharetta
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's the PSU QB after having been planted by a U of M D Lineman last year. I'm screwing around with the avatar right now.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins." (H.L. Mencken)

Posts: 2353 | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of QM
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would think that penguin would taste quite fishy

Fish & mollusc eating ducks and aquatic birds taste like fish. Eiders, coots, loons, gannets all taste like fish.
For people it is an acquired taste. The Newfs and Maritimers up here eat Eider etc they can it and save it for summer.

I've shot Coot (aka poule d'eau) really fishy. Legal to shoot but not too good to eat.

Here's a recipe:
dad told me you put the duck in a large deep pot, put a large rock on top too hold it down, cover with water, boil for 2 days , keeping covered with water, drain off , remove rock , dispose of duck , eat rock, tastier than duck and just as tender.thats what they do on the prairies.

Fish eating duck recipe

QM
Quality does not occur by chance. It is the result of intelligent activities.

Posts: 8933 | Location: Cigar land | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LMFAO!

-Thomas Jefferson

-Thomas Jefferson

Picture of LuckyBreak
posted Hide Post
Different nations have different dishes, that might be very strange to other nations.
Here for example, ducks, pigeons and rabbits are very normal food stuff eaten and enjoyed by everyone (I don't like rabbits though) and in the Gulf countries camels are eaten too. I have never tried them. Ostrich of course, and even peacocks are eaten in some places.

In Asia, they eat dogs and cats, in Sudan they eat alligators (and claim they taste like chicken) in France they eat horses and frogs.

So I wouldn't be surprised if someone liked eating penguins.

Posts: 2813 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank God i have never had to sample such cuisine.
There is a guy on one of the cable channels i can't remember which one.He travels around the world looking for some of the most strange and revolting things to eat.

-Thomas Jefferson

-Thomas Jefferson