Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Jack Daniel's Unaged Rye
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Daniel's Unaged Rye
 Login/Join

Picture of gdavis67
posted
Surprisingly smooth, aromatic and flavorful for an unaged spirit. Wish I would have purchased a 2nd bottle.

Posts: 1127 | Location: Motor City | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vision
posted Hide Post
Cool. Maybe this clear whiskey trend is due to the show moonshiners.

"Living well, is the best revenge."

Posts: 7382 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
It was rated in the the Spring issue of Whiskey Advocate. It did well for an unaged whiskey, but at $50? More than the SB. I think I read that they are going to age it.

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3475 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Magicoa
posted Hide Post
I've tried it and for me it had a weird soapy/mineral taste to it, I couldn't quite figure it out.

Posts: 1597 | Registered: March 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gdavis67
posted Hide Post
It has a unique character. The nose didn't has a vapor burn, and taste was fruity and almost cereal-like. It's a nice change from corn-based spirits.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magicoa:
I've tried it and for me it had a weird soapy/mineral taste to it, I couldn't quite figure it out.

Posts: 1127 | Location: Motor City | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought two bottles as soon as they hit the stores. Both from the first batch. Haven't opened either. One will be the first unopened bottle in my Jack collection.

A neighbor of mine let me try some of his. It was the first time I had ever tried an unaged rye. I found it to be a little harsh and tasted like yeast. I guess that is just a characteristic of an unaged whisky.

Any cocktail suggestions?

Posts: 98 | Location: Hendersonville, TN | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gdavis67
posted Hide Post
Don't know how this mixes...maybe try a simple (clear) soft drink like Ginger ale or lemon-lime.

The Griffin's perfecto may pair well with it (try it neat first). I have one resting from a recent purchase.

Picture of Scroni
posted Hide Post
I really liked it, had a tequila-ish flavor profile (IMO), pretty sure I will track down more eventually. I think there are still bottles available around here.

Posts: 259 | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post