Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Kirkland 20 Year Old Speyside Sherry Cask
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kirkland 20 Year Old Speyside Sherry Cask
 Login/Join

Picture of Dr Guano
posted
I picked up a bottle at Costco today but as I have a massive head cold, I will wait to crack it open. Has anyone had a chance to taste it? Any guesses as to the source?

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.”
- Unknown

Posts: 600 | Location: Frostbite Falls | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
No. but I believe their 7 year old bourbon is source from Jim Beam. And it tastes like it. I wouldn't expect much out of the scotch. Their vodka is fine.

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3475 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Guano
posted Hide Post
I'd heard that the Kirkland bourbon was not very good. Costco has been bottling The Macallan under the Kirkland label and I am hoping this unidentified single malt approaches that level of quality. We shall see.

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.”
- Unknown

Posts: 600 | Location: Frostbite Falls | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So'd you crack that bottle yet? How is it?

Ahhhh, I mean how's that cold coming along?

Inquiring minds want to know....................

Posts: 16 | Location: Granite Bay, Ca | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few logical doubts it's Macallan. I haven't scored a bottle (yet) but reliable conclusions thus far hover around it's o.k., decent enough etc. And a lot of those comments begin with: "For the money, . . ."

A few things come to mind. There's been multiple recent Kirkland bottles that prominently display Macallan on the label. Obviously, something could have changed, but it does make you wonder why this one would hide the origin.

The Kirkland *Macallan* 15 is going for $50 @ Costcos right now. This 20 year undisclosed is being sold for $45. Again, anything's possible but that doesn't make it probable. JMHO

£

Posts: 1803 | Location: San Francisco CA | Registered: June 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dangolf18
posted Hide Post
Well supposedly the Kirkland brand French vodka is actually Grey Goose and it sells for significantly less in 1.75l format than Grey Goose...so it could be Macallan 20. On a side note, I really liked the Kirkland Small Batch 7 yo bourbon and their American vodka (1.75L) for $14.99 is superb.

Posts: 2734 | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
quote:
is actually Grey Goose

Kirkland is a fine vodka. But there is no evidence that it is the same as Grey Goose. Going by taste, the only proof that we have, they are not the same.

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3475 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Guano
posted Hide Post
I have not opened the bottle of Kirkland 20 Year old single malt yet. I am probably going to give it to a buddy for this holiday he celebrates on the 25th. I seriously doubt it contains 20 year old Macallan but you never know. If it is, I will be visiting my buddy more often.

- Unknown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dangolf18:
Well supposedly the Kirkland brand French vodka is actually Grey Goose and it sells for significantly less in 1.75l format than Grey Goose...so it could be Macallan 20.

Hopefully I have enough bread to make crumbs to follow along.

The 15 year old KIRKLAND bottle that just so happens to kindly disclose the originating source of the distillate is Macallan ~ costs $49.99. Highlights: 15 years old,,, Kirkland bottle,,,source from Macallan,,, $50 .

This currently discussed 20 year old Kirkland bottle which vaguely discloses "Speyside Sherry Cask" cost $44.95. Highlights: 20 years old,,, Kirkland bottle,,, mystery source,,, $45.

£

Posts: 1803 | Location: San Francisco CA | Registered: June 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Guano:
I have not opened the bottle of Kirkland 20 Year old single malt yet. I am probably going to give it to a buddy for this holiday he celebrates on the 25th. I seriously doubt it contains 20 year old Macallan but you never know. If it is, I will be visiting my buddy more often.

IMHO...................

Whether it's actually Macallan or not, we'll probably never know. And frankly, that's almost beside the point. The real question is, how good is this stuff?

To be honest, I think you're taking a tremendous risk blindly gifting it to a dear friend without knowing whether it's a truly fine single malt, or a bottle of swill.

The prudent thing to do would be to try it, then if it's gift-worthy, get another bottle for your buddy and keep the one you have for yourself. On the other hand, if it's crapola, you've saved yourself untold embarrassment.

Win-Win!!

And of course, you should report back here what you find..........

Posts: 16 | Location: Granite Bay, Ca | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Guano
posted Hide Post
Noble thoughts but my friend mixes his whisky with ginger ale and I am sure that this will make him quite happy. I am addicted to non chill-filtered cask strength whiskies and still have a half bottle from last years Kirkland Macallan 15 year old and will take a chance on passing on an unopened bottle. Besides, this is a friend who gave me an oil painting of a clown as a gift. Good advice, though.

- Unknown