Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Food, Drink and Travel    Home-roasting coffee beans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home-roasting coffee beans
 Login/Join

Picture of SlowPoke
posted Hide Post
Damn it y'all...now i have a new obsession to distract me from work. :/

Cut, toast, smoke...repeat

~SlowPoke

Posts: 215 | Location: Appalachian Hills of PA | Registered: September 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of See Gar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlowPoke:
Damn it y'all...now i have a new obsession to distract me from work. :/

It's a problem. I've started a new contract away from home, and I nearly passed the local "coffee" through my nose. I bring my own home roast with me now, with a small French press.

As soon as you start to pay proper attention to cigars, coffee, food, beer, architecture, music, almost anything, you realise that 95% of what people consume or build is barely adequate at best. Appreciating something better is time-consuming and bores most people senseless, but it's what keeps us moving forward as a species, I reckon.

Posts: 1523 | Location: London, United Kingdom | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys make me want to try roasting, where do you get you beans?

Posts: 83 | Location: Blainville, QC | Registered: September 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pepito31:

There are many raw green bean sites.
Google green beans.

Posts: 2155 | Location: USA | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SlowPoke
posted Hide Post
Just got 20#s of Sumatra greens. Sooooo stoked to start roasting this weekend. Im gonna give the pan roast a try, but if i mess the beans up, I'm getting an air popper. cannot wait for the first cup of espresso!!!!!
~SlowPoke

~SlowPoke

Posts: 215 | Location: Appalachian Hills of PA | Registered: September 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SlowPoke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pepito31:

Sweet Marias has beans, but more importantly, they have tons of info about home roasting.
~SlowPoke

~SlowPoke

Picture of AlacratStore
posted Hide Post
I always buy the beans and grind them. Years of other crap has taught me to do this. It's very good, and much more cost effective.If you really must know, see about working on a day off for a coffee company that does it's own roasting. They won't let you roast, but you can become friendly with the roaster and they will give you some trade tips.
bias

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AlacratStore,

Posts: 4 | Location: USA | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlacratStore:
I always buy the beans and grind them. Years of other crap has taught me to do this. It's very good, and much more cost effective.If you really must know, see about working on a day off for a coffee company that does it's own roasting. They won't let you roast, but you can become friendly with the roaster and they will give you some trade tips.

Industrial roasting is huge.
They roast 100`s of lbs. at a time.
Usually in 10 ft. in diameter round roasters.
Home roasting descriptions are all over the net.

Posts: 2155 | Location: USA | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got 20#s of Sumatra greens. Sooooo stoked to start roasting this weekend. Im gonna give the pan roast a try, but if i mess the beans up, I'm getting an air popper. cannot wait for the first cup of espresso!!!!!
~SlowPoke

If u get an air popper, make sure its the West Bend Poppery II, on ebay all day.

Picture of SlowPoke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maven:
quote:
~SlowPoke

If u get an air popper, make sure its the West Bend Poppery II, on ebay all day.

Cool... Thanks. I have been pan roasting, and the roasts have been turning out great. Full City Roast on the Sumatra beans is great. I've been pulling some nice shots with it... Goes great with a Monte 2 Smile

~SlowPoke

~SlowPoke

Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by maven:
quote:
~SlowPoke

Cool... Thanks. I have been pan roasting, and the roasts have been turning out great. Full City Roast on the Sumatra beans is great. I've been pulling some nice shots with it... Goes great with a Monte 2 Smile

~SlowPoke

Where does the chafe go when u pan roast in the house, and the odor i like but, some dont.

Picture of See Gar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where does the chafe go when u pan roast in the house

When I pan roast, I do it in a little round cauldron called a poikie. All the chaff stays in the poikie.

When I take it outside to cool and de-chaff, I pour it from one sieve to another. In a breeze, the chaff blows off like confetti onto Mrs. Gar's rose bushes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: London, United Kingdom | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by See Gar:
quote:

In a breeze, the chaff blows off like confetti onto Mrs. Gar's rose bushes.

My boy, just make sure it doesn't blow onto the loaded washing line!

Cheers
PC

Posts: 1185 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: March 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Cotton:
quote:
Originally posted by See Gar:
quote:

In a breeze, the chaff blows off like confetti onto Mrs. Gar's rose bushes.

My boy, just make sure it doesn't blow onto the loaded washing line!

Cheers
PC

We have dryers in the USA.

And Seegars, i love English Roses.

Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
Just picked up 7 lbs of raw beans.

Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
I`ve found the Kenyan coffees to be way better
than any of the Ethiopians.
Kenya AA IGandene Estate
If you find a coffee thats roasts up and surprises you in a good wat, tell us so we can try it too.

Picture of SlowPoke
posted Hide Post
Holy crap you guys!! I'm totally hooked on roasting!!!!

I'm still pan roasting because the Air Popper was terrible, and the small batch roasters are expensive and do not produce much better results than their $15 air popper counterparts. I am pan roasting 1# at a time with great results. I just got plans to build a rotisserie style drum roaster to use in an old propane grill. Should be able to do a few pounds at a time. It takes so long to do up 2-3#s in a pan.

I roast in my tool shed, which is now my "smoke shack"! I smoke stogies and roast out there. The chaff collects in the bottom of the pan. After roasting, I dump the beans in a strainer and the chaff blows away as I toss the beans to cool.

I just picked up 48#s of greens...sheesh! I had no idea it was this addictive. I'm selling off roasted beans in Mason Jars, and that business is taking off...I'm even looking into a small business of coffee vending at events and festivals. I just hafta obtain a serving permit and tax id.

~SlowPoke

Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
U can roast 7 ozs. in the poppery 2.
Stir until they start floating and spinning.
warm it up 1st.

Picture of SlowPoke
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with these drum roasters in a BBQ grill??

~SlowPoke

Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
Drums are a better way to roast