Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dear Editors    Humidor/Humidity
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humidor/Humidity
 Login/Join

Picture of IB Vitola
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trevlan:
i have a humidor 30h x 11w x 9d
my oasis plus is in the middle tray, the middle is 66rh right how my oasis is running the top and bottom of the humidor is avg 69-70rh.
but i ruined about 10 of my cigars by having them next to the oasis.
i have now since moved them to the bottom to try to get the feet less spongy.

what i dont get is if right next to the oasis it reads 66rh why would the get overly humid?
yet sitting in the 70rh spot the other cigars are all fine?
This is by no means an exact science, every humi, and I mean every humi, has it's own set of variables for example, size of humi, how many cigars in the humi, type of humidification system, number of humidifacation units, out side the humi temperature, etc., etc. And there are many other variables. What I have learned by reading posts on this forum and other articles is that humidificataion units should be placed on the bottom of the humidor. As humid air is lighter than less humid air, the trick is to have sufficient humidity in your humi to move the humidity from the top to the bottom of your humidor. Much like the heat in a room would move from the ceiling down to the floor providing sufficient heat is pumped into the room.

Additionally, the 70/70 paradigm is an ideal for the misguided. It all boils down to personal preference, some like their cigars @ 63%, others @ 65%, others @68%, many @ 70% and still others @72%. Just have fun with it and don't get anal about it. Life is too short.

Just one man's opinion

Ay! fo'ggeta 'bout it... I'm bustin' beans over here, eh!

Posts: 176 | Location: Some where in the woods, Pacific Southwest. | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jagger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IB Vitola:
Just one man's opinion

And a good opinion it is.

Posts: 160 | Registered: December 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jagger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Supercharged:
Air circulation?

You bet it's important!

The walk-in was borderline hot and smelled like what I think a harem would smell like after an orgy.

Lol at the smell description!!!

Posts: 160 | Registered: December 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elektrik Effekt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jagger:
quote:
Air circulation?

You bet it's important!

The walk-in was borderline hot and smelled like what I think a harem would smell like after an orgy.

Lol at the smell description!!!

That is pretty funny, lol! Smile

Posts: 241 | Location: SF | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hilarious description!

Lol x 2.

Cheers
PC

Posts: 1189 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: March 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty funny description, but probably not far from accurate. Of course, I don't have any personal experience in a harem to be sure.

The subject of what the "best" humidity for a humidor has come up a number of times on this site. But I do find the posts interesting and at times, amusing. Thanks for the chuckles. Cool

Mike T.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Central PA, USA | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IB Vitola
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like an overactive imagination, which is not bad by the way!

Ay! fo'ggeta 'bout it... I'm bustin' beans over here, eh!

Posts: 176 | Location: Some where in the woods, Pacific Southwest. | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went down the oasis humidification device path when I first started storing cigars. And I encountered the difficulties some posters have referred to.

Living in a location where RH is more often than not quite higher than 70%, I looked for an alternative method.

Small silica gel canisters 4" X 2" X 1/2" are my method. I have 9 for my 3 different sized humidors, and I occasionally need to juggle the distribution to maintain 66%-70% RH. Every 3 or 4 months I reactivate the canisters by putting them in the oven (or BBQ) at 220F for 3 hours.

The canisters have a dime sized viewing window. When the crystals are blue. all is OK. When the crystals turn pink (a gradual process), reactivation is required. Apparently there is no use by date, and you can reactivate as many times as you wish.

I obtained these canisters locally (ie an Oz vendor), but I believe they are manufactured in USA.

Cheers
PC

Posts: 1189 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: March 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bovedas for the desk top.
I like to keep them real full of cigars and place the Bovedas directly on the cigars.
More at the bottom over the cigars and cedar sheets from the boxes between the cigars and over the Bovedas.
Less Bovedas on top and preferably the ones that are not so full but not dry and done.
I do not bother to circulate cigars and I keep what I smoke on top and what you age more at the bottom.
Every day open and close the lid once to get a cigar or if the box has a real tight seal,which you can tell by closing the lead and noticing how the air escapes,coming down fast or slow from the pressure build from a tight seal.
The box that does not have a super tight seal will more likely do better even if it stays closed for quite a while.
With a full box a couple or three of bovedas go a long time even in dry climates with a full box because you have less air to keep humidified.
This way you will not have to worry about some cigars getting more humidity than others

Posts: 53 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntcrazed1:
I like to keep them real full of cigars and place the Bovedas directly on the cigars.
More at the bottom over the cigars and cedar sheets from the boxes between the cigars and over the Bovedas.
Less Bovedas on top and preferably the ones that are not so full but not dry and done.
I do not bother to circulate cigars and I keep what I smoke on top and what you age more at the bottom.
Every day open and close the lid once to get a cigar or if the box has a real tight seal,which you can tell by closing the lead and noticing how the air escapes,coming down fast or slow from the pressure build from a tight seal.
The box that does not have a super tight seal will more likely do better even if it stays closed for quite a while.
With a full box a couple or three of bovedas go a long time even in dry climates because you have less air to keep humidified.
This way you will not have to worry about some cigars getting more humidity than others

Posts: 53 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Every day open and close the lid once to get a cigar or if the box has a real tight seal,which you can tell by closing the lid and noticing how the air escapes,coming down fast or slow from the pressure build from a tight seal.
With a full box a couple or three of bovedas go a long time even in dry climates because you have less air to keep humidified.