Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dear Editors    Lighter question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lighter question
 Login/Join

Picture of Harry Pickett
posted
Hi from Australia!
Can you tell me what lighter and cutter you both use in the top 25 reviews?
Thanks
Harry

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 4 | Location: Lameroo, South Australia | Registered: January 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tse'Nagi
posted Hide Post
I like to use a BIC and a BUCK ( knife )

Posts: 307 | Location: Oneida Nation Wisconsin | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
think Gordon is using an ST dupont black as night minijet: http://www.elighters.com/dli010011.html).

Think David is using an IM Corona Old Boy (http://pipesandcigars.com/imcooldboybl.html#.URltDaXok24)

Not sure which cutters they're using, but David's looks like the lamborghini cutter that has a top sliding double blade (similar style, but i don't think it's the lambo)
http://www.cigarcutters.com/tnf002015.html

Posts: 1083 | Location: United States | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Executive Editor
Cigar Aficionado
Picture of David Savona
posted Hide Post
Yellow, you're very close. Gordon is using an ST Dupont Xtend lighter.

I love the IM Corona Old Boy, but the lighter in the video is actually by Cryil Brizard, who makes incredible cigar accessories. It's a Brizard Retro 1. Love it.

Posts: 3193 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought the xtend and maxijet were the same, but found out the xtend is made in france while the maxijet is made in china. I love the brizard lighter in terms of style. Just got the dunhill unique lighter in that style and i love it. I'm also wondering what cutters they're using

Posts: 1083 | Location: United States | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of oliverdst
posted Hide Post
MP, how long have you had the Providence?
It would be my next lighter but after having problems with 2 Colibris I had decided to go to Xikar.

quote:
Originally posted by MP:
Two lighters that I've really had a lot of success with are, the Xikar Trezo, and the Colibri Providence. Both have withstood the test of time.

Posts: 261 | Location: Brazil | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Harry Pickett
posted Hide Post
I purchased the ST Dupont minijet, only to find it was made in China (tiny print on the trigger). I'll stick with Xikar, better product, guarantee and feels better in the hand.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 4 | Location: Lameroo, South Australia | Registered: January 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of oliverdst
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... after your experience for sure I will never ever try Colibri again.
Ir wouldn't be smart. If they prefer one time costumer I will obey them.

quote:
Originally posted by MP:
I've had my Providence lighter for around 6 months and not one problem. I know what you mean about Colibri. I bought 3 prior to the Providence, and had problems with all of them.

Colibri was sold and the mood of the company right now is very bad. Dealing with customer service was a horrible experience. I had written a letter to the GM and never got a reply. So I was in Providence, RI on business and drove to Colibri. I had a copy of the letter on my netbook and demanded to see the GM. The guy comes out and starts to give me the blah blah BS, then I showed him the letter, telling him I drove all the way from Boston to take care of this matter, which of course, wasn't the reason I was in Providence.

He said what do you want me to do? I said I want my money back or better lighters. He gave me better lighters. That's how I ended up getting the Providence.

Smart move getting a Xikar, great customer service and every thing is guaranteed for life.

Posts: 261 | Location: Brazil | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went thru 2 colibris in the course of 10months. They're absolute garbage. I have a st dupont minijet that i've used for almost 2 yrs now and it works great. I also just got a dunhill unique, which so far i love, but it's only been a week. I almost bought a lambo lighter til i found out it was made by colibri. Soon as i found that out i killed that thought. Still interested to know what cutters they used though. Love the top to bottom guillotine style and just bought the xikar carbon fiber ultra cutter. Waiting on delivery now

Picture of Divino
posted Hide Post
quote:
xtend and xtend mini were made in france but have been replaced buy the maxi and mini jet made in china.

I am currently doing a marketing analysis on this specific topic. (it is part of the whole analysis)

The problem I have found is that it is not mentioned anywhere on the S.T. Dupont website or anywhere, for that matter.

One has to go ask an employee: "Is the Maxijet made in China?", for them to answer that it is. All of this under the cover of the brand name: S.T. Dupont, "Paris".

Edit: The problem is not that because It says "Paris" it should be automatically manufactured in France but when one is shopping for a lighter, wallet or pen at this brand, the salesperson will brag that it is "made in France", all "made in France"...then...one notices that they have a new collection of torch lighters, cutters and punch and buys one believing that, as all the rest of the products, It was made in France only to find, a few days or weeks later, that it was manufactured in China.

What to think? What to say? For the moment, I stick to my Ligne 2 and nothing more.

Isma.

Posts: 30 | Location: Spain | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellot00tr:
I went thru 2 colibris in the course of 10months. They're absolute garbage. I have a st dupont minijet that i've used for almost 2 yrs now and it works great. I also just got a dunhill unique, which so far i love, but it's only been a week. I almost bought a lambo lighter til i found out it was made by colibri. Soon as i found that out i killed that thought. Still interested to know what cutters they used though. Love the top to bottom guillotine style and just bought the xikar carbon fiber ultra cutter. Waiting on delivery now

My nephew had a Colibri and it failed in a relatively short period of time. He has had other "expensive" lighters but so far, they have not been a good value.

Personally, I don't spend more than $50 on a lighter, and my go to lighters are triple jet lighters I bought for $15.00 each. I liked the reliability of the first one so much, I bought a spare. That was two years ago. The first one still works fine, and the second one is my backup I carry just in case. So far, $30 well spent for two. I use Vector Butane and that is at least half the battle with any lighter. GOOD CLEAN FUEL.

Cheers,

Mike T.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Miket156,

Posts: 1004 | Location: Central PA, USA | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MP

A number of BOTL use either or both of those sites. I started going through the application process but they wanted a credit card number to put on file. I don't do credit cards, I have a debit card with a VISA logo. There's my money in that account and it does not have the same security as a regular credit card. I passed.

Thanks for the tip though, I understand there's some good deals on those sites.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Central PA, USA | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i use vector butane in regular butane lighters, but i've always used the recommended butane from the manufacturer for expensive lighters. dunhill for dunhill, dupont for dupont. it gets expensive, but i figure for a $400 lighter, why bother risking it. might as well use what the manufacturer recommends. for a company like dupont, there are 10 diff kinds of butane. if they're recommending that you use a specific butane for a specific lighter, i just follow it.

Picture of JB-07
posted Hide Post
quote:
for a company like dupont, there are 10 diff kinds of butane. if they're recommending that you use a specific butane for a specific lighter, i just follow it.

You would have to. High-end duponts use single fill cartridges and each ligne/gatsby uses a different color due to varying fill valves and amount of gas. The gas inside is the same. There are screw in adaptors for the ligne series.
The xtends use regular butane cans(black dupont butane). The maxijet is the only traditionally filled lighter that I haven't had a single filling problem with and I attribute that to only using dupont gas, right or wrong. So I won't ever use anything else. It's worth using the black dupont gas for fill-valve compatibility alone. Vector fuel is fine, and comes with multiple plastic adaptors. But those are easily misplaced.

"The future is no place to place your better days"

Posts: 3477 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JB07

Good information dude. I don't have anything other than the traditional generic fill lighters. I mentioned that I won't spend more than $50 on a lighter so that seals the deal on generic vs proprietary. If I could spare $400, I would buy more cigars.

Cheers!

Mike T.