New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Smoke Jr's
 Login/Join

Picture of The Short Guy
posted
I would love to go to one of the Big Smokes. More so the Vegas one because of what the city has to offer. However, $'s are holding me back. Would CA ever consider doing smaller, more regional ones, or would that minimize the "specialty" of the two BIG ones?

Living the Dream...

Posts: 288 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Docbarry
posted Hide Post
I think the cost of putting on a Big Smoke in a smaller size would be prohibitive. They have to rent a cigar friendly venue, get vendors from all over the world to commit, do a lot of printing and advertizing and then have staff to run the event.

I went to several New York Big Smokes when they were still at the Marriot and they were enormous events and now they have to hold them on a pier on the Hudson because of anti-smoking rules.

Doc ***** Tobacco is a filthy weed, I like it...

SNOB Member 1033 1/3

Posts: 17800 | Location: In the woods of Dutchess County, NY...Hecho En The Bronx | Registered: May 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Executive Editor, Cigar Aficionado
posted Hide Post
It is true, the built-in cost of doing a Big Smoke makes smaller venues very hard to support. Top that off with the difficulty in finding locales that allow smoking, and it's a double whammy.

There was a time when we did cities other than New York and Las Vegas. Over time, it became clear that it was better to focus on those two cities, and be sure that the show we put on brings together all the major players in the industry for the cigar community and readers of the magazine.

Posts: 127 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Short Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. A guy can dream, though...

Living the Dream...

Posts: 288 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elcaribe
posted Hide Post
How about alternating between several cities then? East Coast one year, then West coast, then Mid continent then Gulf Coast etc.? You still really put on the same number of shows, just in a few different locations.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Posts: 4252 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stogieluvr
posted Hide Post
New Orleans would be a great venue. The Big Sleazy is about as cigar smoker friendly a city I know of.

Posts: 182 | Location: northern Carribbean coast aka Lower Alabama | Registered: April 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post