Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Group Cigar Reviews    José L. Piedra - Petit Cetros
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

José L. Piedra - Petit Cetros
 Login/Join

Picture of Divino
posted
Good morning everyone, I will be doing a short review to share with you my impressions on the JLP Petit Cetros. JLP is a brand that nowadays makes it cigars in a short filler/hand made format: it has 6 vitolas if I am not mistaken and the Petit Cetros is one of my favorite.

Length : 127
Ring size : 38
Smoking time : 45 minutes
Origin : Cuba

Obviously, the cigar being short-filler there is not a big evolution in the flavors, however, there is still a change caused by the combustion and the temperature at which the smoker makes it burn.

As the cigar is lit, a wonderful sweet and very persistent bouquet of flowers mixed with slight mushroom taste welcomes the mouth and nose. This cigar is very sweet, specially in the beginning. One can get the sensation of smoking something that has some age even if it is not the case.

As the smoking experience goes on, the sweet and flower flavors vanish slightly to give place to a more pronounced tobacco aroma; this aroma without being very complex is pleasant nonetheless.

The ashes are very consistent for a short-filler cigar and it has an oily colorado wrapper which is pleasant and benefits from a good construction generally even if sometimes the aspect can be a bit rustic. (this happens more often with larger vitolas such as the Conservas or Cazadores from the same brand)

In the case of the Petit Cetro, the veins are small and, combined with the overall appearance, gives it a somewhat elegant feel. Combustion is even but it also depends on the conditions in which it is stored. One negative point, however, is that the production is not very consistent and sometimes some cigars can be excellent while others terrible even from the same box or 5 pack.

The price of these is very competitive and what one loses from the short-filler format and inconsistency of the production, he certainly gains in overall price/quality.

A good smoke to smoke with little effort and great enjoyment, an honest and pleasant experience.

Isma.

Posts: 30 | Location: Spain | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BigBruce
posted Hide Post
I think these demand some aging. I had one that was definitely not great but showed some potential.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco" - George Washington

Posts: 630 | Location: Knoxville | Registered: November 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BigBruce
posted Hide Post
However mine are the brevas.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco" - George Washington

Posts: 630 | Location: Knoxville | Registered: November 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Divino
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I get a few 5 packs and get surprises from one pack to the other:

My last buy was (5 packs):
2 Petit cetros,
1 Cazadores,
1 Conservas

One of the two packs of petit cetros was wonderful while the other one was a total disgrace (they were bought at the same shop, at the same time, from the same big lot).

The cazadores look amazing and the conservas are average. I would complain if the price was higher but for just over 1€/unit in Europe, it's hard to match such quality.

Isma.

Posts: 30 | Location: Spain | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post