Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Group Cigar Reviews    San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe
 Login/Join

Picture of flighford
posted
I just bought a box of the El Principe at the recommendation of a friend. Has anyone had a chance to try the new series of Havana brands. I was looking for a small cigar that would be a good afternoon cigar, but still have good taste. I will submit my own review after they arrive and get a chance to relax.

Chadwick D. Ford
Chief Warrant Officer
US Army Blackhawk Pilot

Posts: 51 | Location: Ft. Drum NY | Registered: June 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justawalker55
posted Hide Post
I bought some singles and have smoked 2 of them. I am not really good at decribing flavor but I like a full bodied cigar and really enjoy these little smokes. I plan on buying a box soon. these as well as the Juan lopez # 2 are starting to be my favorite cigars.

I know the difference between right and wrong. Wrong is the fun one...

Posts: 2761 | Location: Bakersfield | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of did64
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous chocolate biscuity sweetness, with hints of spice and coffee. A terrible pity that they're such a small cigar (but they sound ideal for what you're after) if they could replicate these flavours in the bigger SCdlHs I would be all over them.

"You want WHAT on the fu<king ceiling?" -
Michelangelo, 1566

Posts: 989 | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of did64
posted Hide Post
For Fedor- personally I would go for the El Principes, which I really love for a short smoke. The Famosos ( I last smoked one about 6 months ago) I find drier, I find they have a certain woodiness and raw coca with considerably less sweetness. I'm probably not the person to ask as I don't really like the marca, for me the flavours they have dont seem to complement each other.

(Apologies to flighford for the brief threadjack)

Michelangelo, 1566

Picture of Fedor Skywalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by did64:
For Fedor- personally I would go for the El Principes, which I really love for a short smoke. The Famosos ( I last smoked one about 6 months ago) I find drier, I find they have a certain woodiness and raw coca with considerably less sweetness. I'm probably not the person to ask as I don't really like the marca, for me the flavours they have dont seem to complement each other.

(Apologies to flighford for the brief threadjack)

Cool man! i am not a big fan of SHORT smokes, except the Nub, but thats because i can sit and enjoy them for at least 30+ minutes per smoke. how long do u think it'll take to for these butes to burn, the Principes?

Apologies Flightford for the disruption in your thread flow.

SPAIN = 2012 EURO CHAMPIONS!

VIVA ESPAÑA

My Top five:
1. Montecristo #2
2. Diplomaticos #2
3. Vegas Robaina Únicos
4. Rocky Patel Decade Toro
5. Oliva Series V Torpedo

Posts: 736 | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of did64
posted Hide Post
quote:
how long do u think it'll take to for these butes to burn, the Principes?

Not long, but you should get at least half an hour out of them.

Michelangelo, 1566

Picture of flighford
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I received my box today and I could not wait to smoke one. I do not have the heavy handed words to describe the taste. I have no clue what leather tastes like or the woodsy taste. I have never chewed on leather or wood. However, as a guy who spends a great deal of time, effort, and money on cigars I have to tell you that this little cigar is one of the best cigars I have had. I have always enjoyed a full body cigar, however I was very surprised with the taste, smoothness, and overall enjoyment of this cigar. It is a great cigar to spend 30 min relaxing or a mid afternoon cigar. I can say it had a good draw even though it was little tight due to I did not wait a week or two to smoke it. If anyone is looking for a small cigar to enjoy during their lunch break or just an afternoon on the boat. This is the cigar.

Chadwick D. Ford
Chief Warrant Officer
US Army Blackhawk Pilot

Posts: 51 | Location: Ft. Drum NY | Registered: June 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisguinther
posted Hide Post

Posts: 418 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are great flavourful smokes. I have some from Oct 2000 that have been sitting and I am looking forward to getting at one soon.
Amazing oily dark wrappers on these. I am not a big fan of smaller cigars but this one it nice and complex. At a lower humidity they smoke like a dream.

"Adapt...Improvise...Overcome"

Posts: 122 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of littoines
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to trying these very soon.

Posts: 6349 | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toon_Tom
posted Hide Post
These are my regulars, I think they're excellent little smokes. Usually get 40 minutes from each one.

"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."

Posts: 822 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of littoines
posted Hide Post
Ok, had my first one yesterday and it was young and right from the box so this will not be a review.
What I can say is the great potential these smokes will have when they settle.
Very nice aroma. Nice draw for a cigar that was a bit humid. Lite herbal honeyed wood taste that I know will be more pronounced when devoloped.
Looking forward to their future.

Picture of SHEEPSHEAD BAY
posted Hide Post
If you liked these try the El Morro one of the best Churchill's i have ever smoked.

"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God"
-Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of freedom must be nurtured from time to time with the blood of its patriots"
-Thomas Jefferson

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty; When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7113 | Location: Reggio di Calabria, Italy / New York United States | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of littoines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHEEPSHEAD BAY:
If you liked these try the El Morro one of the best Churchill's i have ever smoked.

Will do my friend. Thanks.

Picture of SHEEPSHEAD BAY
posted Hide Post
Wink

"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God"
-Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of freedom must be nurtured from time to time with the blood of its patriots"
-Thomas Jefferson

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty; When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7113 | Location: Reggio di Calabria, Italy / New York United States | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CrazyPoet
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation, Sheep!

"Hey! Who you calling a hominem, Poet? I though you were *against* personal attacks."

Posts: 4249 | Location: South of the Mason/Dixon Line | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump!

I love CC Minutos! I've tried as many different marcas of this size as I've been able to, with the exception of the Siglo I and the discontinued/old school CCs. This is probably my 2nd favorite right behind Party Shorts. Anyone out there digging these as well?

Posts: 575 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: April 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DIY-pete
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy these as well. I think the Siglo I is better but not by much.

Pete

Cigars are bad for the Body but good for the Soul.

Posts: 782 | Registered: November 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kwsaw63
posted Hide Post
These are nice but my favorite minuto is the Trinidad Reyes.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Posts: 328 | Location: SE Asia | Registered: March 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the El Principes, smoked at a regular temp one ought to last 40-45 minutes.
If you like shorter cigars, and these days that's often all there's time for, the Trinidad Reyes and Partagas Shorts have already been suggested and are very good. But if you can, and there are still boxes to be found, I would recommend the Bolivar Bonitas as being an exceptional shorter smoke.

The old style Tres Petit Coronas which Ryan mentioned are excellent, but are now rare and attracting premium or auction pricing.

Posts: 232 | Location: Westcliff | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post