Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Group Cigar Reviews    Review: Gurkha Status Torpedo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Review: Gurkha Status Torpedo
 Login/Join

Picture of bpierson
posted
Gurkha Status

Name: Gurkha Status Torpedo
Vitola/Size: Torpedo, 6.5 x 52
Construction: Honduran Filler
Wrapper: Connecticut
Strength: Mild-Medium
Smoking Time: 185 Seconds
Manufacturer: Gurkha
Price: ~ $0.50 (cigar), $9.50 (tube)

Picture

Picture

Picture

Every once in a great while, a cigar comes along that makes you sit up and say "Wow. My kids are gonna love that tube". The Gurkha Status, I am pleased to report, is just such a cigar.

Not only is the tube made of glass, it is brushed glass, and the caps make a satisfying metallic clink when you take them on and off.

I have had two of these resting in my humidor for... eons, tempting me to set them up next to full, well-shaken pop cans for fun BB gun practice with my sons. Thus, it was time to eliminate the temptation and see what all the buzz was about! Well, ok, "buzz" might be too strong a word.

Scoring System

Flavor and Aroma: max 60 points
Construction: max 15 points
Burn and Draw: max 15 points
Appearance: max 5 points
Value for Experience: max 5 points
Total: max 100 points

Pre-light:

Aroma mostly glass and metal, COLD, extremely tight draw. Oh, wait. There we go. Barnyardy and citrus. Not too bad.

First Tenth:

Perfect draw and burn to accompany the slightly cat-pee aroma and oddly sourish taste.

Second Third:

Very nice looking.

Final Third:

Weird looking. Kinda zombie-ish, to be honest.

Score:

Flavor and Aroma: 30/60
Construction: 15/15
Burn and Draw: 15/15
Appearance: 5/5
Value for Experience: 35/5
Total: 100/100

Overall Impression:

In the immortal words of the creator of Gurkha, "Gurkha's are expensive, but they are worth every penny". Thus it was very hard to come up with a number for the "Value for Experience" category, because it was, as usual, priceless.

~~~
"I'm stupid, but I might not be crazy." - Hanno Breuckner

~~~
"At my age, you sweet talk to get OUT of a tight spot, not to get in to one." - ImTripN2

Posts: 4452 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: June 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ReedJames
posted Hide Post
Nice review. I think I'll go out and get a box from my B&M ASAP!

---
Tobacco Enthusiast
Resident Fuente Fiend

Posts: 877 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: December 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Danilosilni
posted Hide Post
Looks like their Gurkha Beauty in torpedo shape.

Posts: 1801 | Location: NYC | Registered: April 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL - Is that a bottle of vodka or a cigar tube?

Smoking Time: 185 Seconds
Price: ~ $0.50 (cigar), $9.50 (tube)

priceless!

Posts: 582 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: April 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, thats great.. Who keeps this company in business ? The marketing is so over the top I cant bring myself to even pick one up much less taste one. Honestly, no matter how good one from this brand was, I would still feel embarrassed if anyone saw one in my humi. There must be a market for Disnelyand cigars somewhere evidentely..

Posts: 36 | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bpierson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanMac:
LOL - Is that a bottle of vodka or a cigar tube?

Ha! That would have been a lot more fun. Maybe it's a vodka-infused cigar.

Can't believe nobody is taking this seriously. I try to improve my bona fides as a true aficionado by reviewing high-end cigars in spectacular packaging and this is the thanks I get. Big Grin

~~~

~~~
"At my age, you sweet talk to get OUT of a tight spot, not to get in to one." - ImTripN2

Posts: 4452 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: June 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of perfectform
posted Hide Post
Can you please review the new Gurkha Spec-ops cigar next?

And let us know how well the included combat knife works in fending off Charlie while you relax with your new stogie.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pyramidsam
posted Hide Post
Can I have the tube. At least it is useful for travle.

To smoke or not to smoke, that's the question.

Posts: 1307 | Registered: June 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OKCSmoker
posted Hide Post
I actually sold the same man 3 full boxes of these one after the other, because the claimed they were the best cigar on the planet.

I felt bad, my boss however, he was very pleased with me.

P.S. The included Challenge coin is a little offensive, it is not really nor earned.

quote:
Originally posted by perfectform:
Can you please review the new Gurkha Spec-ops cigar next?

And let us know how well the included combat knife works in fending off Charlie while you relax with your new stogie.

Smoke In Peace. -AKA Cigars

Posts: 678 | Location: Norman, Ok | Registered: October 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mrknight2000
posted Hide Post
Had a Status today for the first time. Got it at a Gurkha promo event at my local B&M. I wasn't overly impressed with it. I enjoy a mild - medium type cigar and even this was too one dimensional for me. I do enjoy Gurkha cigars just not this one. Will def not be buying this again.

The frosted glass tube is pretty cool though.

Justin

"I am sure there are many things better than a good cigar, but right now, I can't think of what they might be" Richard Carlton

Posts: 155 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tse'Nagi
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to lighting up the one I got back in August of this year. I was under impressed with it, Too mild or rather it had very little flavor all the way to about 3" or so. Glad it was freebee I can't see paying that kind of money for one them.it came inna really cool glass tube

Posts: 307 | Location: Oneida Nation Wisconsin | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bpierson
posted Hide Post
Really glad to see this get bumped back to the top. Unfortunately I parted with my very last Status in a PIF to my dear friend Big Sky.

He has promised to do a full review of the glass and aluminum tube after discarding the packing material.

Luke - I was going to review the Spec-Ops, but Chuck Norris got ahold of the combat knife before I could and dared me to try and take the cigar from him. I've put in a call to Tim Tebow to try and get it back for me.

~~~

~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpierson:
but Chuck Norris got ahold of the combat knife before I could and dared me to try and take the cigar from him. I've put in a call to Tim Tebow to try and get it back for me.

NOOOOOOO! What are you doing Bruce!? If those two ever face off they'll tear the fabric of the universe!

I know how you love Gurkhas but, please brother, it's not worth it!

RW

Posts: 1695 | Location: Eden | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bpierson
posted Hide Post
I thought long and hard about that Todd, but as the great K. Hansotia himself has said "They're worth it".

~~~

~~~