Cigar Aficionado Online    Cigar Aficionado Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Group Cigar Reviews    Review: Herrera Esteli Toro (produced by Drew Estate)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Review: Herrera Esteli Toro (produced by Drew Estate)
 Login/Join

Picture of Meatcake
posted
So I got a box of these Pre-release, and I have previously done a review of the Fresh Rolled version of it that I got from Willy Herrera himself at the event. I figured I had to give one from the box a go, and do a review of it too because I am curious to see just how different the actual release version is from the Fresh Rolled.

Herrera Esteli

Toro Especial: 6 1/4 x 52
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Nicaraguan (Jalapa and Esteli)

The Setup:
Windy day, at a party with friends
Outside with a wealth of smokers (mostly smoking cigarettes) but was able to take the time to enjoy it.
No drink, just me and this cigar.
This cigar has been stored in my humidor at 70 degrees at an RH of 68% for 9 days since purchased. Only reason RH was so high (Normally keep my stuff at RH of 65% is they seemed overly dry when I opened the box. I did however, dry box this cigar for a full day before smoking it.

Pre-Light:
Wrapper looks great, minimal veins albeit slightly toothy. I love the band as it looks like a classic cigar band. Not overly done and almost whimsical in its attempt to harken back to the days of yore!! Yes, I used the word YORE...deal with it.
Cold Draw brings hints of hay, with that slight twang you get from a cigar normally found at ISOM. Also hits of pepper and cedar are present.

http://i579.photobucket.com/al...digital/IMG_1836.jpg

1st Third:
Instantly hit with a blast of pepper but not the type you would get from say a Don Pepin, this pepper is lighter on the palate and is accompanied by a nice level of cedar and a smooth almost honey taste. You do get that almost salty twang that those cigars from ISOM have which is very welcome. Overall I would say the cigar starts out medium bodied, but full in flavor.
The burn is not as razor sharp as what I got out of the fresh rolled but nothing that needs to be touched up.

http://i579.photobucket.com/al...digital/IMG_1835.jpg

2nd Third:
Going into the 2nd third, the pepper has dissipated to the point where it is almost gone. Cedar is prominent with that twanginess still present. Hints of a citrus are now present as well, further widening the flavor range, and if you close your eyes and take it all in, you can almost be reminded of something like a SCDLH El Principe. The flavor profiles are very similar to me.
Burn is still not razor sharp but did not need to be correct. The ash has a nice light gray color and even in relatively high winds, held on for what seemed like 2 inches. In fact it may have held on longer if someone hadn't bumped into me.

http://i579.photobucket.com/al...digital/IMG_1837.jpg
http://i579.photobucket.com/al...digital/IMG_1838.jpg

Last Third:
For the final third, the pepper comes back to play, dancing around the palate like a cracked out baby, jumping in and out and mixing with the citrus and cedar. A slight sweetness also crept in on the last third that was really not expected but most welcome. It seemed to compliment the pepper quite nicely and rounded out this cigar into a full flavored, medium bodied smoke.
The burn in the last 3rd straightened out a bit but oddly enough, the fresh rolled that I got from Willy himself burned quite a bit straighter than this one did.

http://i579.photobucket.com/al...digital/IMG_1841.jpg

Final Thoughts:
You always hear the term cuban-esque tossed around when new cigars come out, and most attempts to capture that taste profile fail miserably but this one really does a fine job of capturing that magic, even if it is just ever so slightly. There is a complexity to this cigar that I really loved. It takes you on quite a nice journey and it is one I look forward to taking at least 15 more times (I will wind up bombing a few of these out I am sure).
Most definitely worthy of a box purchase and sure to be a big hit for Drew Estate, I look forward to seeing how this cigar takes off. Willy knows what he is doing people, don't hesitate to give this one a try!

PS...So I didn't really touch on Fresh Rolled VS Production version of the Herrera Esteli. Here goes, both were great cigars. Both had a good amount of complexity and flavor. I can't say I liked one more than the other but I can say, that the fresh rolled one, was more of a surprise because I expected it to be bitter and acrid. I look forward to aging some of these to see what else opens up on the flavor wise.

"I smoke my cigar's like all red blooded American's do, wrapped in a Flag, with a Bald Eagle on my shoulder, a gun in my hand and a Camelbak full of Shiner Bock."

Posts: 616 | Location: Frisco, Tx | Registered: May 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of floridasmoke
posted Hide Post
Nice review! This is the stick I really am looking forward to. Met Willy a few years ago while he was still with El Titan de Bronze, really nice guy. Do you by chance know the release date for these?

...smoke 'em if you got 'em

Posts: 2018 | Location: se fla | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meatcake
posted Hide Post
Sometime in jan? Maybe Jonathan Drew can chime in on that one as I'm not sure.

"I smoke my cigar's like all red blooded American's do, wrapped in a Flag, with a Bald Eagle on my shoulder, a gun in my hand and a Camelbak full of Shiner Bock."

Posts: 616 | Location: Frisco, Tx | Registered: May 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jonathan Drew
posted Hide Post
FloridaSmoke - the HERRERA ESTELI are breaking now throughout the USA. While they are only in about 67 locations, we will have a new spot on the APP that will allow you to "locate" them.

I will have more info very soon. Thank you for your interest in the new HERRERA E.

Best
JD

Posts: 416 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: December 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of floridasmoke
posted Hide Post
JD, I picked up a handful of the lonsdales at Smoke Inn in West Palm Bch the other day and lit one up last night. Phenomenal! Although I couldn't make the event last night, I've met Willy before at El Titan....great guy. You guys definitely have a winner with this one!

...smoke 'em if you got 'em

Posts: 2018 | Location: se fla | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of str8dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last Third:
For the final third, the pepper comes back to play, dancing around the palate like a cracked out baby,

Love this line!!!

Nice review!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---

Look away, and cast not your eyes upon me ... for I am the WorSwisherSire.

Chillin' with seegars, geetars, under pars ... oh ya, and Scotch.--

Posts: 3650 | Location: Trawna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked the lonsdale last night and this cigar lives up to all the hype. I did not think it was very cubanesque. Now i do not have a lot of experience with cuban cigars but i thought the flavors reminded me of the joya de nics i started smoking ten yrs ago. Old school nicaraguan cigar flavors. Outstanding cigar. Cant wait for these to hit the mainstream.

Posts: 323 | Location: virginia | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of [HTi]Lewis
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 5 pack from smoke inn, four of them looked fantastic, but the fifth had a small tear in the wrapper. I smoked it first after a nice rest period, but the wrapper came completely apart and unraveled unfortunately. Haven't had any of the other ones yet, but they look very well constructed.

Was that before or after you noticed you were standing in a pool of gasoline?

Posts: 138 | Location: Autzen Stadium, Oregon | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scroni
posted Hide Post
Love the review, this is something I have been wanting to pick up and haven't yet... And this review does not help make anythingg easier Wink

Posts: 234 | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scroni:
Love the review, this is something I have been wanting to pick up and haven't yet... And this review does not help make anythingg easier Wink

I am totally agree with you this review is very good

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meatcake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MP:
The cigar is even better than the review. Last Saturday, I was at a cigar show in NH and met Willy Herrera. Great guy! He rolled me a Herrera Estli Corona, which he said I could smoke right away. Outrageous cigar!

Yes the FRESH ROLLED was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I was amazed how good it was. He should totally do a fresh rolled version of his cigar (like AJ Fernandez has available on Cigar.com)

Picture of Meatcake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MP:
Meatcake

Willy told me that you need to smoke the fresh rolled with in a day or 2. After that they just turn bitter. He went on to say that, if you were to get a box of fresh rolled Herrera's, you'd need to let them sit for a minimum of 2 months so they start to form the nuances of the tobacco.

That explains why the fresh rolled AJ Fernandez were repugnant when I got them and darn tasty after a 4 month rest.

Picture of Fshaw
posted Hide Post
Smoked one of these this evening and I have to concur with Meatcakes original review except I picked up a grassy/ creamy note in the first third as opposed to the pepper. The pepper definitely crept in by the time of the second third. Very impressed!

Posts: 657 | Registered: September 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haggis
posted Hide Post
I had one last night. It was incredible. I bought only 5 of the Toro and was thinking I should buy more. However, this stick lasted 3 hours, and still had 1.5 inches to go. I couldn't go any longer, so I snuffed it. I'll buy some coronas for when I don't have 3+ hrs for a smoke. But, I highly recommend this, and don't have anything to add to Meatcake's excellent review.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Haggis,

Posts: 317 | Location: Paradise | Registered: March 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haggis
posted Hide Post
Smoked the corona last night. As wonderful as it was, it paled by comparison to the toro.

Posts: 317 | Location: Paradise | Registered: March 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BigBruce
posted Hide Post
Enjoying my first now while working on a few projects. The smoke has been great even as I haven't been paying attention to it, but there is a taste in the second third that is reminiscent to the Partagas Culebra I loved. Will definitely buy again.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco" - George Washington

Posts: 630 | Location: Knoxville | Registered: November 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haggis
posted Hide Post
I'm really liking the corona, as well as the toro.

Picture of RupertPumpkin
posted Hide Post
Recently, I was able to sit down and smoke the Lonsdale Esteli and I really enjoyed it. Aside from visibly being a beautiful cigar with great color, little to no veins and a triple cap, the Esteli was surprisingly complex, and produced lots of full, aromatic smoke. I am looking forward to trying it in some of the different vitolas to see how it may vary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RupertPumpkin,

Posts: 349 | Location: AZ | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deadman's Point
posted Hide Post
I must be the only guy on earth not able to get into these.

...actually, all of this is a lie...

Posts: 608 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
I`m not into them at all.

Posts: 2023 | Location: USA | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post