New
Find
Notify
Tools

EP Carrillo Club 52
 Login/Join

Picture of Extensioncord
posted
Got a box of the regular production "core line" in the Club 52 size, which is nearly identical to the Cuban Canonazo at 5 7/8 x 52. Price is about $7.

It's a generally well made cigar, though the veiny Ecuador Sumatra wrapper isn't as smooth as in pictures and the triple cap isn't the most precise I've ever seen. I like the band personally. Overall, construction is well above average.

Draw was very good and and the burn was just a tiny bit ragged, probably because the wrapper is nice and oily. I'll be dry boxing mine for a day prior to smoking them in the future but it's really not necessary if you don't mind an occasional slight touch-up while smoking.

The cigar reminds me very much of Ernesto's original La Gloria Cubana -- before General Cigar ran the brand into the ground -- but with more refinement, befitting the guy's years of experience in the intervening years.

It's an interesting cigar in that the flavors don't build in a steady progression; rather, its character changes as its smoked. At various points I got flavors of sharp wood, cocoa, sometimes with a nutty sweetness and -- especially in the beginning -- a peppery finish. It definitely held my attention.

All in all, a very good, medium- to full-bodied smoke at the right price point. Probably my favorite new release since Illusione's Epernay and right up there with my favorite NCs. I'd score it a 91.

Nice to have Ernesto back doing his thing again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Extensioncord,

Posts: 4488 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
we just got those into my shop last week, i cant wait to pick it up after hearing that review

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
-Harry S. Truman

Posts: 8533 | Location: Maryland | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bpierson
posted Hide Post
Hey ecord, what's the makeup of the cigar apart from the Sumatra wrapper?

Nice review. The size is right up my alley too.

~~~
"I'm stupid, but I might not be crazy." - Hanno Breuckner

~~~
"At my age, you sweet talk to get OUT of a tight spot, not to get in to one." - ImTripN2

Posts: 4452 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: June 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post
Binder is Nicaraguan, filler is Nic-DC blend.

Picture of Presley
posted Hide Post
I had one of these today, got it for $7.50. Definately one of the best cigars I have had in a while. This may sound crazy but this cigar reminded me of an aged Opus, it had the cherry/raisin flavor and some spice but none of the harshness that a fresh Opus can impart. I really enjoyed it and think it was definately better than some of the pricier stuff out there. A must try in my opinion. Extensioncord, I read your review in the humidor before I purchased it and you were spot on.

Posts: 7009 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: July 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Presley:
This may sound crazy but this cigar reminded me of an aged Opus, it had the cherry/raisin flavor and some spice but none of the harshness that a fresh Opus can impart.

You know, now that you mention it, I think you're right. I actually stopped smoking fresh Opus a long time ago because of that and I really don't buy them much anymore because I don't like having to wait 2-3 years before they smoke like a $10+ cigar.

So far, the Carillo cigars have gotten a lukewarm reception at my local B&M but I think I know why. Most people don't really take the time to smoke slowly and appreciate a cigar like this. I think that's also true of some of my other favorites like Coronado and Epernay. I got my box of Club 52s for $138.33 after tax and box discount and I think Ernesto got the price point exactly right. While other companies are just flooding the market with copycat junk (can't wait for Altadis' new Tatuaje ripoff Warlock!) it's nice to know someone can still do something original and distinctive.

Picture of V-man
posted Hide Post
Nice review. You've convinced me to head over to m local tobacconist after I get out of class tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

Posts: 547 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CigarGuy88
posted Hide Post
Smoking one right now.... F*CKING AMAZING! After my box of "Face" I'm getting a box or two of these Smile

Posts: 1165 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: December 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Norm Mowry
posted Hide Post
I agrre.

Posts: 171 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: September 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OKCSmoker
posted Hide Post
Hey E-Cord. I thought the Warlock was more of a rip off of the Nosotros. Look at the band on it, its almost identical. Either way I have smoked about 3 Warlock Robustos and about 3 Coronas. All in all I did not think they were that bad of a smoke, but I must agree they are trying to do a rip off of the boutique market.

quote:
Originally posted by Extensioncord:
quote:
Originally posted by Presley:
This may sound crazy but this cigar reminded me of an aged Opus, it had the cherry/raisin flavor and some spice but none of the harshness that a fresh Opus can impart.

You know, now that you mention it, I think you're right. I actually stopped smoking fresh Opus a long time ago because of that and I really don't buy them much anymore because I don't like having to wait 2-3 years before they smoke like a $10+ cigar.

So far, the Carillo cigars have gotten a lukewarm reception at my local B&M but I think I know why. Most people don't really take the time to smoke slowly and appreciate a cigar like this. I think that's also true of some of my other favorites like Coronado and Epernay. I got my box of Club 52s for $138.33 after tax and box discount and I think Ernesto got the price point exactly right. While other companies are just flooding the market with copycat junk (can't wait for Altadis' new Tatuaje ripoff Warlock!) it's nice to know someone can still do something original and distinctive.

Smoke In Peace. -AKA Cigars

Posts: 678 | Location: Norman, Ok | Registered: October 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Extensioncord
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCSmoker:
Hey E-Cord. I thought the Warlock was more of a rip off of the Nosotros. Look at the band on it, its almost identical. Either way I have smoked about 3 Warlock Robustos and about 3 Coronas. All in all I did not think they were that bad of a smoke, but I must agree they are trying to do a rip off of the boutique market.

I guess it doesn't matter exactly what they're ripping off since they always seem to be ripping off something. Altadis hasn't had an original idea in a long time. Funny though that if they truly were ripping off Nostrotos, they're to a point where they're picking losers to copy.

I smoked a Warlock just to satisfy my curiosity. Same story, different band: it's by no means a bad cigar, but it's not really a good one either. Decent, undistinguished.

BTW -- Just ordered my second box of Club 52, plus box of the 2010 limited edition on Tiny Tim's recommend.

Picture of thaterp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I smoked a Warlock just to satisfy my curiosity. Same story, different band: it's by no means a bad cigar, but it's not really a good one either. Decent, undistinguished.

i enjoyed it, its like a liga t52 light for about half the price. ill have to smoke another before committing to a box, but they are pretty reasonable

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
-Harry S. Truman

Posts: 8533 | Location: Maryland | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post