Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Review
 Login/Join

posted
I love reading reviews, but I have always been a little hesitant to write on myself. Could anyone give me some pointers when it comes to writing cigar reviews?

Posts: 156 | Registered: October 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shlomo
posted Hide Post
Everybody is different. But some things are often appreciated in a review.

Name the cigar correctly.
State the smoking time.
State where, when and after what did you smoke. For instance: "After a big steak dinner, while relaxing outdoors". Or "In the morning with my coffee".
Tell us the "story" of your smoke. Did you get any flavours, was it strong, was the draw tight or loose, how did you cut it, how did you light it, did you enjoy it, would you buy another one, etc...

There is no right or wrong way.

Proud member of the International Brotherhood of people who contributed nothing but wasted their whole lifetime grumbling and criticizing on things they do not remotely understand.

Posts: 9081 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: February 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anthony_joseph
posted Hide Post
Make sure you make up an imaginary number between 1-100 with no basis or reason why you picked that number. I'll give this smoke a "94.324"

Posts: 1194 | Location: Prescott, Arizona | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Philllys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anthony_joseph:
Make sure you make up an imaginary number between 1-100 with no basis or reason why you picked that number. I'll give this smoke a "94.324"

I though that one was a 94.625?? I am confused

Posts: 483 | Location: Gatineau, Qc | Registered: December 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anthony_joseph
posted Hide Post
You think those 3 100th's and the 1 ten thousandth is really going to make the difference? Ahhh Conspiracy!

Posts: 1194 | Location: Prescott, Arizona | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gdavis67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philllys:
quote:

I though that one was a 94.625?? I am confused

^94.324 is US. You're using the CDN equivalent.

Posts: 1127 | Location: Motor City | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of str8dog
posted Hide Post
I'm now using 2.167 as my new benchmark.

Collectively, Parry Sound just threw up in its mouth.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Trawna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jagger
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lol! No kidding there.

Posts: 160 | Registered: December 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could anyone give me some pointers when it comes to writing cigar reviews?

Easy. Collect up all the nouns relating to your smoke in the correct order — grass, citrus, Mocha, pepper etc., and then stick adjectives in between .... it's all I do! Wink

Posts: 280 | Location: Westcliff | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of See Gar
posted Hide Post
tippexx is being self-deprecating, but the format he uses is pretty good. Lots of room for free text. A good approach in the absence of an agreed taxonomy.

It's extremely difficult to assign scores to indeterminate categories like "taste" and "burn" even for a highly experienced group of aficionados. Look at the stick the CA tasters take.

I think if I felt that I could do justice to a review, I'd need to have smoked a few of the cigars in question, not just one. Also, I'd probably keep my reviews under wraps until I'd had the opportunity to adjust the scale of my ratings relative to one another. Also, I think I'd just provide one overall score, and make the text as descriptive and accurate as I could.

Posts: 1523 | Location: London, United Kingdom | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where can I find 2010 my father special edition

Posts: 29 | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raiburn513:
Where can I find 2010 my father special edition

Pretty off the wall question, but it is only your first of second post. Start with Google. I think I saw some on CBid the other day.
Your should start your own thread next time. Maybe in the cigar trading section given the question being asked.

Posts: 98 | Location: Hendersonville, TN | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken Roberts
posted Hide Post
Hi oby:

Gordon and Dave make nice presentations on “How We Taste (Parts 1 and 2)” Cigar Cinemas and Shlomo makes a great point to include where, when, and after what did you smoke a cigar.

I was a guest judge for Smoke Magazine years ago and they had us smoking three of each of 20 cigars in the taste test --- to judge consistency . . . !

I took all 60 cigars to Hawaii for a week thinking I would relax, smoke, and rate them all . . . .

What a mistake! The pressure I put myself under to smoke all 60, three at a time, on that trip practically ruined it for me!

Posts: 26 | Location: Mobile Bay, Alabama | Registered: August 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maven
posted Hide Post
I think the when where why is completely irrelevant and unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

Posts: 2162 | Location: USA | Registered: October 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shlomo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maven:
I think the when where why is completely irrelevant and unnecessary.

Me too.[/QUOTE]

Really? Smoking a cigar with a coffee on a Sunday morning while on vacation will give you a very different perspective and ability to focus and appreciate the flavours than smoking the same cigar after eating spicy caribbean food in the evening after a long, stressful day of work...

Proud member of the International Brotherhood of people who contributed nothing but wasted their whole lifetime grumbling and criticizing on things they do not remotely understand.

Posts: 9081 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: February 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Boss Hog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0 to 60 in 3:
Some reviewers write on their blog things like "I enjoyed this CoRo so much. Maybe the laughters of my children running around contributed to the enjoyment." Really? Man the f!ck up.

Certainly got a good chuckle out of that one. Big Grin

Posts: 1343 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MC4
posted Hide Post
This was funny and true. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by 0 to 60 in 3:
The when where why is in fact pointless. I can careless whether you're naked on a beach with your boyfriend drinking Mojitos or locked up in a moldy basement with dial-up internet and tap water. The perspectives you're talking about should be as "universal" as possible so that the review can be as unbiased as possible.

Some reviewers write on their blog things like "I enjoyed this CoRo so much. Maybe the laughters of my children running around contributed to the enjoyment." Really? Man the f!ck up.

Posts: 570 | Registered: May 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shlomo
posted Hide Post
I am very surprised to see people think that external factors do not influence cigar taste and enjoyment...

posted Hide Post
Cigar reviews writing is like a personal diversion. When you start to write a cigar review, you can search it visually like its color, its wrapper, its size and others. And one more thing, don’t forget to taste it.

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post